What's new

Official B&B Cookbook

We've got a lot of great cooks here at B&B. I'd like us all to chip in with our best recipes. Jay has gotten us started with the B&B Sauce Depository, but this can be expanded so much more. I'd like to gather a serious collection of variety of recipes for all occasions and all meals.

So get cookin'!

Oh wow. Great idea! I used to be a really good cook in college, of all places. Ever since I returned home with the rents, I haven't cooked anything. Maybe I can rack my brain for a few goodies.

I think that the best way to start getting together a cookbook is to go over old threads about various foods. More contributions can be added later by creating threads about various things that people are interested in, such as chili recipes, baking bread, the perfect martini, smoking meats, even making coffee and tea. You get the idea.

And it would be really great if the recipes are credited to the users that post them.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Perciatelli* alla filetto di pomodoro

1 slice prosciutto di Parma, ~1/4" thick, cut into 1/4" dice
1 sm onion, diced
1 28 ounce can San Marzano tomatoes, drained and hand crushed
fresh parsley and basil

In a large saute pan, cook proscitto and onion in olive oil over medium/low heat until meat is crisp and onion is translucent. Turn up heat and add tomatoes. Cook untl it begins to thicken, adding some of the remaining juice from can if necessary. Cook pasta al dente and add to pan. Hit with chopped parsley and basil, toss and serve with reggiano parmigiano. One of the few dishes without garlic.

*Any pasta will do, but this type is named after the administration of a competing shave forum. :lol:

ouch

Char siu- honest to goodness autentico Chinese roast pork.

1 pork butt, about 3 lbs. (Why pork shoulder is call pork butt is beyond me. I can only assume that my relatives were somehow involved in the naming process.)

Slice the butt lengthwise into three strips about 2 1/2 - 3" wide. With a cleaver, make a 45 degree cut about 3/4 of the way through the strip, flip it over and continue every two or three inches until the end, so that the meat sort of resembles a big pork slinky.

In a bowl, combine 1/2 cup hoisin sauce, 1/2 cup ketchup, 1/4 cup sugar, and a nice squirt of rice vinegar, soy sauce, sweet chili sauce, and sesame oil. Add minced ginger, shallot, and garlic and combine to thick glop. Marinate pork for 1-24 hours, making sure to rub in well. Reserve remaining marinade.

Grill over low heat, turning every five minutes, for 30 minutes. Increase heat to medium, baste with remaining glaze, and turn and repeat until done. Meat should be tender inside with the glaze slightly burnt on the outside. This is one rare occasion where you want the sauce to burn a bit, as crispy bits are to be expected.

Serve hot or at room temp. Slice leftovers into wonton soup or use in a stirfry.

Actually, nothing almost about it. This is embarrassingly simple. Feeds four. Make the dressing just before you cook the swordfish.

1/3 cup sweet chili sauce
1/2 cup freshly-squeezed lime juice
2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh lemon grass
2 tablespoons chopped fresh coriander (cilantro)
1/2 cup chopped fresh mint
1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
4 swordfish steaks (it would be nice if these are fresh too)

Combine all the ingredients (no, not the swordfish) in a jar you can close tight, and shake it all about.

BBQ, grill or pan fry the swordfish steaks.
Drizzle the dressing over the swordfish and serve with some mixed salad leaves and some lemon wedges

Cheers

Jeremy

I'll have to think about this one. It's a great idea, but I have recipes for pretty much nothing that I cook. I'll have to try to reduce some things to an actual recipe....

I have a great recipe for Top Ramen :lol::lol::lol:

Nick

:lol:
You think you're kidding, but I used to have some roommates who would do some serious "doctoring up" of ramen noodles......our creations ran the gamut of pretty good (chicken, mushrooms, scallions) to the bizarre (Spam & canned pinto beans).

:lol:
You think you're kidding, but I used to have some roommates who would do some serious "doctoring up" of ramen noodles......our creations ran the gamut of pretty good (chicken, mushrooms, scallions) to the bizarre (Spam & canned pinto beans).

I do that too. Throw in some shrimp and veggies and you got yourself a pretty tasty concoction in about 5 minutes.

Combine equal parts butter and extra virgin olive oil in baking dish and melt in preheated oven 425 degrees F.

Put salmon filet in dish skin side up top with salt and pepper

Cook for 7-10 mins depending on thickness

Flip

Cook for 5-8 mins more.

Serve.

You want the center of the salmon to be slightly translucent.

ouch

Peking noodles-

No wok needed for this one, but it couldn't hurt. In a 10" fry pan, saute minced ginger, garlic, shallot, hot chili paste (sambal olek type), and XO sauce (make it yourself if you're nuts) in a little peanut oil (yes, one can use vegetable oil) until fragrant. Add 1/4 lb. ground pork (chop it yourself with a pair of cleavers if you want to add an air of authenticity, or at least make a lot of noise) and stir about two minutes. Add 1/2 cup chicken stock, a squirt of light and dark soy sauces, and sesame oil. Bring to boil and thicken with cornstarch slurry. Add cooked fresh lo mein noodles, chopped scallion and cilantro, toss and serve.

Most of my best recipes are from other cookbooks. However, this one is one I took from Recipezaar.com and tweaked a bit to call my own.

Mike’s White Chicken Chili

1 48 oz. jar Great Northern beans (Randall brand, if possible), moderately drained
1 32 oz. box of 33% Less Sodium clear chicken broth (Kroger brand, if possible, any chicken broth with no fat or cholesterol will do)
2 pounds of chicken tenderloins, boiled and cubed (~ 1-2”)
1 medium onion (white or sweet), coarsely diced/chopped
1 ½ tsp garlic powder
1 tsp salt
½ tsp black pepper
1 tsp oregano
¼ tsp mild chili powder
1 tsp cumin
1 cup reduced fat sour cream
1 Tbsp vegetable oil (canola recommended)

Combine chicken, onion, and garlic powder, saute with oil in stockpot until onions just tender. Add beans, broth, and other spices. Bring to boil, reduce heat and simmer 30 minutes uncovered. Remove from heat and stir in sour cream.

Makes approx. 6 servings

Mike in Michigan

Top Bottom