What's new

Odd Omelettes

Was reading about high-protein meals this morning and thought I would hit up this sub forum. I've never been a huge fan of eggs for some reason, but if you ever ask me to make an omelette, your taste buds won't know what's happening. Everyone likes to try something new, and a lot of people have some odd recipes that turn out amazing. I thought, since breakfast is the most important meal of the day, we could share some of our strange concoctions.

I'll start - Meat Omelette

2-3 eggs
Pre-grounded meat (usually I use taco meat or beef)
Spices
BBQ sauce
Cheese

I break the eggs in the pan and let them sit, trying not to disrupt the process so that I can flip it when it's time. I cook and further break up the meat in another pan, usually on a higher heat setting. Once the eggs have solidified enough and the meat is cooking, I throw in my spices and BBQ sauce. I mix the meat up and then pour it all into the eggs. Then the rest is easy. Fold the egg into an omelette, pocketing the meat inside. Grill each side in the pan, and throw on some cheese to make it all nice and gooey.

Does it sound weird? Too some, yes, definitely. Did it keep my lady friends around? Also yes, definitely.

What are some interesting choices you've whipped up for breakfast?

Omelettes are great for using up leftovers. I follow almost no rules regarding them, other than they have eggs. You can go the "traditional" route of the Denver with ham, cheese, onions, peppers or you can go as funky as you want. You could use leftover grilled chicken, sundried tomatoes and feta cheese. Artichoke hearts, bacon, maybe a bit of Swiss cheese...possibilities are pretty endless.

Paleo pancakes:

-two eggs
-one banana (the riper the better)

1. Mash banana with a fork, and then beat in the eggs.
2. Heat a cast iron skillet over low heat for a few minutes and then turn to medium. Add a teaspoon or two of coconut oil.
3. Either pour the entire banana-egg mixture into the skillet or make small, individual pancakes.
4. Cook until desired doneness (they get brown very quickly). Enjoy!

EDIT: Eh, not strictly an omelet, but you asked for weird stuff :biggrin:

Paleo pancakes:

-two eggs
-one banana (the riper the better)

1. Mash banana with a fork, and then beat in the eggs.
2. Heat a cast iron skillet over low heat for a few minutes and then turn to medium. Add a teaspoon or two of coconut oil.
3. Either pour the entire banana-egg mixture into the skillet or make small, individual pancakes.
4. Cook until desired doneness (they get brown very quickly). Enjoy!

EDIT: Eh, not strictly an omelet, but you asked for weird stuff :biggrin:

Yep... sounds pretty weird! How does it taste?

My dad used to make me peanutbutter and jelly omelettes when I was a kid. He'd cook the eggs till they were pretty much solid and slathered on the peanut butter. Once the peanutbutter melted a bit he'd put the open-faced omelette on a plate and spread some jelly around. Fold and enjoy!

This was my favorite treat on Saturday mornings growing up.

Made an omelette with spinach, feta and black olives for breakfast this morning.

Odd...maybe

Tasty...YES

Top Bottom