What's new

Get togethers and menus

An interesting read, this thread. I find myself like a windsock, agreeing with the last one I read! :biggrin1:

In large part it is helpful to accommodate others even though what is on the menu is BBQ. There will probably be a side dish or two like vegetables and probably a salad. So if a vegetarian is reasonable they will make a meal out of the side dishes. If they are a jerk they will say something like, "The salad oil with bacon bits, it is a shame but..." That is where I say, "Oops, silly me. Here, let me pick all of the itty bitty bacon bits off of your feeble plate. But first, turn in your stinkin' Man Card."

This is off topic but related - we have close friends and the hubby can't have gluten. That is not preference, it is necessary - no choice of his. So when having them for dinner we modify to accommodate.

My boss used to have "working lunches." He'd pay for the meal, but it was always barbecue. I told him I was a vegetarian and I wanted a vegetarian meal, like pizza. When I got to the next lunch, I found an empty pizza box -- a third of our team was Indian and they didn't like meat any more than I did. So I told the boss we needed more pizzas. Next meal there were eight empty pizza boxes when I got there -- half of our team was female and they didn't want meat either. We ended up with twenty pizzas and everybody was happy, especially the boss, who got to take all that barbecue home with him.

My boss used to have "working lunches." He'd pay for the meal, but it was always barbecue. I told him I was a vegetarian and I wanted a vegetarian meal, like pizza. When I got to the next lunch, I found an empty pizza box -- a third of our team was Indian and they didn't like meat any more than I did. So I told the boss we needed more pizzas. Next meal there were eight empty pizza boxes when I got there -- half of our team was female and they didn't want meat either. We ended up with twenty pizzas and everybody was happy, especially the boss, who got to take all that barbecue home with him.
I love a story with a happy ending!

An interesting read, this thread. I find myself like a windsock, agreeing with the last one I read! :biggrin1:

In large part it is helpful to accommodate others even though what is on the menu is BBQ. There will probably be a side dish or two like vegetables and probably a salad. So if a vegetarian is reasonable they will make a meal out of the side dishes. If they are a jerk they will say something like, "The salad oil with bacon bits, it is a shame but..." That is where I say, "Oops, silly me. Here, let me pick all of the itty bitty bacon bits off of your feeble plate. But first, turn in your stinkin' Man Card."

This is off topic but related - we have close friends and the hubby can't have gluten. That is not preference, it is necessary - no choice of his. So when having them for dinner we modify to accommodate.
I love barbecue! I love that smoky flavor and how the slow cooking process turns tough cuts of meat into delicious goodness! (I am more partial to Texas BBQ fan than Carolina or KC BBQ, though I like those as well.)

That said, if you're interested in serving vegetable based bbq fare (beyond salad), there are some delicious options. For starters, there's smoked tofu. (You can actually buy this in some Asian markets, but if you want to season the tofu to suit your own preferences with your choice in wood, you can throw some tofu in your smoker.) Or you can finish off some corn on the cob in the smoker.

If you're grilling, you can always also grill some vegetables. Grilled asparagus, peppers, and Brussels sprouts, are fantastic staples. But for some extra flair, you can also some roast root vegetables or pumpkins on your grill.

The best part is, these dishes can be enjoyed by everyone, including the meat eaters. 🙂

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
If you're grilling, you can always also grill some vegetables. Grilled asparagus, peppers, and Brussels sprouts, are fantastic staples. But for some extra flair, you can also some roast root vegetables or pumpkins on your grill.

The best part is, these dishes can be enjoyed by everyone, including the meat eaters. 🙂

I know........... it's hard to please everyone......Brussels sprouts are a hard pass for me.
Love me some Grilled asparagus, peppers, to go with my steak though. Fry a egg with that and it's a winner.

1699313062063.png

Top Bottom