What's new

OCD noob question. Keeping ink off the face of a nib.

So this is probably just me being OCD. I just started using fountain pens about a month ago. I write a lot for my job and having these pens actually makes me want to write and it has been great.

My question as above, is how do I keep the face of my nib (not sure if that's what it is called, the fancy looking part that faces up when you write) clear of ink. I am (at least if not more) mildly OCD and would like it too look nice. Maybe a very noob question and/or pointless.. But when I see pictures of everyone's pens there isn't any on them...

In case it matters the two pens I use most and both have problem are a F-C 29 gold medium italic nib and an Edison Beamont Stealth fine (steel?) nib. Noodler's x-feather ink with a converter.

Thanks!

Last edited:
I think I figured it out. Maybe not the correct way though. I ran water over the nib. Wiped it quick with a microfiber cloth. Seems to have fixed the problem for now.

Noodler's is notorious for nib creep. That is what the issue you are having is called. It does not hurt the pen, but I agree with you, and hate looking at the ink all over the nib!

The only real issues I have with nib creep has all been with noodlers, the resot of my inks dont give me trouble other then after a fill up

but a folded paper towel will work as long as you dont let it touch the breather hole or the tine slit, as you will just pull up more ink while your trying to clean the rest away if you do

and you are not the only one with this OCD

If any of my pens posted here were ink free, they had been cleaned or it was pure luck. After I fill, I wipe them down quickly with a paper towel. This gets most of the ink off, but I really am cleaning the section. I never really cared if there was a bit of ink on the nib.

Is there a good replacement for the Noodler's. as far as blackness, no feathering, and relatively fast drying? Obviously without the creep?

I hear Aurora Black and Diamine Onyx Black are very black. Parker Quink Permanent Black is reputed to dry quickly and perform well. Platinum Carbon Black and Sailor Jentle Black get good reviews. Pelikan and Waterman Blacks are probably good performers, too. I'd be surprised if any of those gave you much trouble, but I don't own any black ink personally.

You can see a lot of black inks here.

-Andy

Is there a good replacement for the Noodler's. as far as blackness, no feathering, and relatively fast drying? Obviously without the creep?
Aurora Black for blackness. It is not particularly fast drying though. Pelikan Black is not bad either.

I was thinking about this a bit ago...
I am wondering if some silicon grease, very very lightly placed all over the nib except the tip, alone the slit, and not in the breather.. if that might stop nib creep? I know on my 78G I sometimes get ink that comes out where the Nib goes in..
Anyone try to actively prevent nib creep with Noodler's?

I agree on Noodlers being the cause of the nib creep, I have the bulletproof black and it creeps a lot.

My favourite all-rounder black is J Herbin Perle Noire. It's very black and seems to work on most paper, it's even tolerable on the awful cheap copier paper we have at work. It's also fairly water-resistant even though it's not sold as such.

It's not the ink.

Okay, it's partly the ink, and I'm certainly no expert anyway, but I've had a slightly different perspective on this since reading this article, by someone usually considered an authority.

His conclusion, the cause of nib creep is actually minute imperfections in the nib itself. The qualities of the inks used can exacerbate the creepiness, and I share the experience of many here with some Noodler's inks. La Reine Mauve was all over the nibs that I tried it with. But then, I'm not sure that I ever used it with my better nibs.

You do have to believe your own experience with the equipment that you've got, but if Richard Binder is correct, you might find that one of those creepy inks is not so bad if used with a better nib.

It's not the ink.

Okay, it's partly the ink, and I'm certainly no expert anyway, but I've had a slightly different perspective on this since reading this article, by someone usually considered an authority.

His conclusion, the cause of nib creep is actually minute imperfections in the nib itself. The qualities of the inks used can exacerbate the creepiness, and I share the experience of many here with some Noodler's inks. La Reine Mauve was all over the nibs that I tried it with. But then, I'm not sure that I ever used it with my better nibs.

You do have to believe your own experience with the equipment that you've got, but if Richard Binder is correct, you might find that one of those creepy inks is not so bad if used with a better nib.

That is a pretty good read. And it makes sense. In this case I am going to see try a different ink because the ink creep isn't bad, just annoying. Thanks for all the info!

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
I'm not fully buying into it (Richard's article). I've seen nib creep with perfect nibs (Noodlers) and I've seen no creep with beat-up nibs that look like someone used a nail file to open the tines up (non-Noodlers).

It's the amout of surfactant that's in there lowering the surface tension and allowing the ink to "climb".

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I was thinking about this a bit ago...
I am wondering if some silicon grease, very very lightly placed all over the nib except the tip, alone the slit, and not in the breather.. if that might stop nib creep? I know on my 78G I sometimes get ink that comes out where the Nib goes in..
Anyone try to actively prevent nib creep with Noodler's?
I would think that you would then have a chance to contaminate your ink during your next fill.

I'm not fully buying into it (Richard's article). I've seen nib creep with perfect nibs (Noodlers) and I've seen no creep with beat-up nibs that look like someone used a nail file to open the tines up (non-Noodlers).

It's the amout of surfactant that's in there lowering the surface tension and allowing the ink to "climb".

I agree with you Nemo, I'm new to the game, but I've only experienced this with noodlers inks. I think it's also a case of considering the source, Mr. Binder is a nib meister and most of his reputation and business is based on their manufacture and repair. Also since he's a nib guy he may only see the nib as the problem.

I would think that you would then have a chance to contaminate your ink during your next fill.

But what if we refill with a syringe? Keep in mind I, at least, still use that old and annoying converter. :001_tt2: I have a pen I don't use often. Maybe I will fill it up with some Eel and give it a shot. Just have to be very careful not to get it in my ink though, I do imagine that would suck quite a bit.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
But what if we refill with a syringe? Keep in mind I, at least, still use that old and annoying converter. :001_tt2: I have a pen I don't use often. Maybe I will fill it up with some Eel and give it a shot. Just have to be very careful not to get it in my ink though, I do imagine that would suck quite a bit.

Yeah, I was worried about contamination the bottle dipping the nib in. As to Noodler's Black Eel, I find it a creeper, too.

Top Bottom