What's new

Number of shaves and passes per blade

I like to read the reviews of de blades and number of shaves people brag (or complain) about. My question is no one ever mentions how many
passes they're doing. I have a normal beard growth on my left cheek but my right is like my neck with whiskers going in all directions and I do
two passes with the razor going every which way. To me that's not a shave with two passes but two shaves since I shaved against the grain so many so many times. I change blades every other day and credit the blade with four shaves not two shaves with two passes each shave.

I count a pass as a lather removal cycle, irrespective of how many times I traverse a part of my face or neck. If it's still on the original lather, it's the first pass. Relather and you're into pass two.

Touchups are squeezing the last of the lather from the brush and using your hand to feel for stubble, not a complete reapplication.

I usually do three passes, though only two at times. I easily get a week or more on a blade. Tonight I only did two, but might go back for a third but it is a Friday night.

I know what you mean and usually I can't get as many "shaves" out of a blade as other people. Because I shave slow and meticulous with each pass and may slop a little extra lather on an area I have been over, it confuses what is meant by a pass. Technically, my one pass shaves are much more like a two pass shave. I shave frequently so I usually do "one pass" S-N, I know that takes a beating on the blade even if the stubble is short. There is still plenty of resistance, I am not play shaving.

That out the way, when somebody says they get 6 shaves out of a blade I frequently can get 6 one pass shaves. Which I would call 12 passes when they are doing 18, if that makes sense. If I do typical 3 pass shaves, I frequently can't get more than 4 out of a blade. And the fourth one is a risk, sometimes having to be aborted. So with my one passers that I can get 6, I back it off to 5. Feathers are another story; I haven't been using them lately, but I probably wouldn't go than 6 passes. But then they are so sharp, I standard shave may only take 2 passes. So I would get the same 3 uses as many people report.

2 1/2 passes (The half is to get rough spots on my neck). I get 3 shaves per blade. Life is too short, and these things are too cheap to stretch them out. Just MHO.

Mike M

...but this one IS cracked.
It depends on the blade, the razor used soap and adjusting your technique to suit the blade. As some blades perform poorly and some perform well.
I am habitually a three pass shaver and can get as few as 7 or eight shaves (Treet and Lord) a normal blade gets into the teens and a good one 20 and above. I have managed 29 from a Kai and currently have a KCG that is on 37 shaves and is still good for more.
Also as my technique evolves I seem to be getting more shaves from my blades

For me, three passes, and a touchup which is always exactly the same spots, gives me a 15 hour shave. The blade is always either Nacet or Astra SP. I get 6 shaves per blade. In the past I've gotten many more, but I don't push it for three reasons; I only have one die to keep track, ensuring a sharp blade prevents me from using pressure, and finally blades are cheap, so there is no incentive to conserve.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
My typical shave every morning, WTG + ATG + pickups.
The way I interpret a pass is 1st lathering WTG lather totally removed by razor+ 2nd lathering ATG lather totally removed by razor + 3rd partial lathering for pickups and lather totally removed by razor.
I just think most folks understand this concept of a pass.
As for blade longevity DE blades 5-6 shaves, Gem blades 10 shaves & most AC blades 5-6 shaves seems to be my averages.

Eben Stone

Staff member
It depends on the blade, the razor used soap
👍
and adjusting your technique to suit the blade
proxy.php

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
Sometimes people will mention how many passes, but not how many strokes per pass. When I face lather I only do two passes, but I'm pretty sure the razor does about the same mileage as my 3 pass scuttle shave. I have almost no overlap with the 3 pass shave, while I have lots of overlap with the 2 pass have (trying to accomplish the same results with only 2 passes). And yes, it's absolute madness, but there I am.

I've seen videos where "a" pass has more shaving inches covered than two of my passes. I call that blade buffing.

But if I tell you I get 4-5 three pass shaves from a Med Prep and only 2 from a Feather it gives you a sense of the difference for me. That's probably the best you're going to get.

Welcome to B&B.
My question is no one ever mentions how many
passes they're doing.
I do three passes and a clean up. Each pass is removal of lather but never repeated strokes over an unlathered area; many utube videos seem to show repeated strokes over unlathered areas which is bad.
I shave daily and the blade life is very dependent on the blade; about two weeks for an Astra SP and three weeks for a GSB is usually possible.

I face lather and do three passes 90% of the time. The exception is if I am in a real rush to get going. So I count ‘a shave’ as 3-passes (including touch ups.)

My ‘top-tier’ blades typically provide 7-10 shaves, occasionally more.

I am doing a very interesting participation PIF (check the blade forum for details). So far the long-lasting Personna Mysteree-X blades have been good for 12-14 fine shaves compared to 4 shaves (2 very good and 2 not so good) with the Treet black beauty. That should provide a range at least for me!

:a21::a21:

Thanks for the replies. I'm 80 and used an old Gillette Adjustable for years until it was almost impossible to find blades in stores and switched to cartridge razors. Only needed one pass with the Gillette and cartridges. Then in my 60's I discovered the internet and all the de razors and blades available. I had thrown out the old Gillette years ago and bought a couple of Jagger razors. I
realized with my now wrinkled and loose skin one pass was not working and started reading up on shaving techniques and reviews
of blade sharpness. Also realized no matter how great or lousy a blade gets reviewed, don't believe any of it because you're going
to have your own opinion after you shave with it.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
I like to read the reviews of de blades and number of shaves people brag (or complain) about. My question is no one ever mentions how many
passes they're doing. I have a normal beard growth on my left cheek but my right is like my neck with whiskers going in all directions and I do
two passes with the razor going every which way. To me that's not a shave with two passes but two shaves since I shaved against the grain so many so many times. I change blades every other day and credit the blade with four shaves not two shaves with two passes each shave.

Welcome to Badger & Blade! :)

The reason most of us don't mention how many passes we do, is because it really doesn't make a difference. What does make a difference, is your whisker type. If you have soft whiskers, it won't dull the blade nearly as much, and you can probably get a dozen shaves out of a blade comfortably. However, if your have course whiskers like I do, your lucky to get 5 shaves out of a blade, and more then likely will get 3 shaves.

It also depends on the blade! Super sharp blades like Feathers, they are the sharpest blade in the land, but, in order to achieve that, they naturally have poor edge retention. Which means, after 2 to 3 shaves with a Feather blade on course whiskers, they are done! I find I get more shaves out of a Bic blade, about 4 to 5. And I am new to using Nacet's, but so far, 5 shaves seem to be the max.

As far as whisker growth, you really need to map your beard, which from your post, sounds like you have done that. How you shave your whiskers off, depends on which direction your whiskers are going. But most of us do 3-pass shaves out of necessity. We each have to figure it out, as we are all different, so YMMV is a very true statement here.

Yes all true here but at the end of the day it is still YMMV, because there is so many individual things to consider. Also among many others how you store used blade after shaving. I stopped thinking about blades as they are cheap. I just use my blade (Feather, Muhle) for one week of every other day or daily use then I change it. Only one blade was not able to perform under my conditions - Wilkinson Sword blade. That is blade I can’t use becuase it gets too quickly too dull for me.

Hi Gang.
FWIW
When I use a double edge safety razor I have a post shave procedure I use
After completing my shave I remove the blade taking note of which side was "up". I clean and sterilize the razor head and blade with a bit of alcohol then I replace the blade but upside down from what it was.
Rational behind this is I consider that the fine edge of the blade goes out of true so by reversing it for the next shave it will have a similar effect as "stropping". I view it the same as I view my straight razors.
I hope this makes sense to you.
Glenn

...I replace the blade but upside down from what it was.
Rational behind this is I consider that the fine edge of the blade goes out of true so by reversing it for the next shave it will have a similar effect as "stropping".
How many shaves are you getting out of the blades you do this to?

Top Bottom