What's new

Now with exfoliating bar!

We love to bash and talk bad about Gillette and their gimmick schemes…but the reality is, and is being said in this very thread already…Gillette is in the money making business, just like any other of the millions of business in existence on this entire planet, in fact…only the non-profit, charity organizations helping people out there are the ones not looking to make money, and even those are pretty sketchy too.

That said, people working in Gillette, well, they are genius. Marketing new patents every couple of years, making huge profit margins and “fooling” 90% of the population into buying their products? Thats the dream right there!

And no matter how much we preach about the way we shave is better and healthier and cheaper and cooler and on and on and on….we wont ever make enough of a difference to change the way any company runs. And that is OK. Knowing that this “hobby” makes me a part of 0.000000001% of humanity in the sense that we like to do things different, well, thats pretty cool, my wife thinks is cool (she loves the scents) and my kids think is cool.

And just to clarify, I am not defending Gillette and their ways, but they are doing what they are supposed to do and employing thousands of people in the process, which is cool.

Gillette has been “fooling” people with marketing hype since the first double ring rolled off the production line. Every razor they’ve produced in the last 120 years or so has been a gimmick designed to make the company and their shareholders as much money as possible.

What they’re doing is no different in 2022 than what they did 20, 50 or 100 years ago.
To be fair, their original safety razor was more than a gimmick. It allowed people who couldn't (or wouldn't) use a straight razor to stop spending money going to a barber. Granted, there were single edge razors at the time that fulfilled the same purpose but having two edges and using thinner steel was a refinement and, arguably, an improvement.

Of course, the ultimate intention was to make money on blades after someone bought into their system but unlike modern cartridge razors, their original safety razor was more than just hype.

Ratso

Mr. Obvious
We love to bash and talk bad about Gillette and their gimmick schemes…but the reality is, and is being said in this very thread already…Gillette is in the money making business, just like any other of the millions of business in existence on this entire planet, in fact…only the non-profit, charity organizations helping people out there are the ones not looking to make money, and even those are pretty sketchy too.

That said, people working in Gillette, well, they are genius. Marketing new patents every couple of years, making huge profit margins and “fooling” 90% of the population into buying their products? Thats the dream right there!

And no matter how much we preach about the way we shave is better and healthier and cheaper and cooler and on and on and on….we wont ever make enough of a difference to change the way any company runs. And that is OK. Knowing that this “hobby” makes me a part of 0.000000001% of humanity in the sense that we like to do things different, well, thats pretty cool, my wife thinks is cool (she loves the scents) and my kids think is cool.

And just to clarify, I am not defending Gillette and their ways, but they are doing what they are supposed to do and employing thousands of people in the process, which is cool.
I’m in agreement with your post. Maintaining and growing market share is a must for any company unless they’re laundering money. I love my vintage razors that at one time were the hype of shaving.
My wife thinks I’m nuts over this shaving hobby. Sooo, if you don’t mind sharing your sales strategy, tell me how you got your wife’s support. 😊

Mike M

...but this one IS cracked.
All they really need is a ten blade razor that removes all your skin, then no need for an exfoliating bar, if it removes all the hair follicles too then it will give you the closest most lasting shave ever.

To be fair, their original safety razor was more than a gimmick. It allowed people who couldn't (or wouldn't) use a straight razor to stop spending money going to a barber. Granted, there were single edge razors at the time that fulfilled the same purpose but having two edges and using thinner steel was a refinement and, arguably, an improvement.

Of course, the ultimate intention was to make money on blades after someone bought into their system but unlike modern cartridge razors, their original safety razor was more than just hype.
I’m not saying the original safety razors were hype, they clearly weren’t, and they provided a safer, faster and
more convenient way of shaving than the old fashioned straight razor. The cartridge razor was introduced about 70 years later as a safer, faster and more convenient way of shaving than the old fashioned DE and SE razors. That strategy worked both times, and both eras had a never ending succession of gimmicks. In the case of Gillette the double ring was quickly replaced by the “better” single ring and so it began.

I’m saying Gillette, as well as ASR and Schick, have been using marketing hype since day one.

I’m in agreement with your post. Maintaining and growing market share is a must for any company unless they’re laundering money. I love my vintage razors that at one time were the hype of shaving.
My wife thinks I’m nuts over this shaving hobby. Sooo, if you don’t mind sharing your sales strategy, tell me how you got your wife’s support. 😊
Well, one way I got my wife to get on board was keeping my spending in check and not go overboard on my purchases, I really haven't had any problems with “acquisition disorders”.

I only have about 4 brushes and half a dozen razors, brushes were bought new but most of my razors were cheap finds at antiques and ebay, a couple of them were PIFed to me right here on the badger&blade so my wallet hasn't suffered at all.

But the real kicker with my wife was scents, specially aftershaves, so before buying any expensive aftershaves I get a few samples and try them on for her and she is the one that helps me choose the one she likes, I mean, after all, she is the one I am trying to impress. I am lucky she has an impecable taste!

We love to bash and talk bad about Gillette and their gimmick schemes…but the reality is, and is being said in this very thread already…Gillette is in the money making business, …..
IMG_8386.jpeg

Then they came out with their heated razor, why in the world would I want a heated razor, oh yeah, give me some razor burn, ya, give me more of that! And now, the supposed exfoliation bar.
You made a great point, but how does it even work after I rinsed it in water? Makes really no sense. Not to mention that the razor you're talking about was 200 euro's when it came out! You can get a whole DE shaving set + a couple 100 of blades for less than 200. I call insanity. I really wonder what else they will come up with.

As a salesman at a retail shaving supplies store, these razors flopped really badly.

The heated razor sold way more and we still had them stuck in inventory.

Re: the Labs exfoliating razor. It takes longer to get the cartridge to click into the handle than it does slipping a DE blade into a razor. I guess that's progress.

Is this your collection?

Missing the "Bugatti" edition of the heated razor.............maybe Santa will bring that one in a few days.......????:velva2:

I will admit, I like the vibrating 2 blade sensitive Gillette....... and also the 1 blade from India.....for quick head shaves.....

No. Not a collection. Four members of my family, including me sometimes, use them.
They are excellent razors.

Top Bottom