What's new

Nos ????

Personally, I can hardly wait to read the comments. When one knows so little, anything that is said increases one's knowledge base by seeming orders of magnitude. And the amplitude of my magnitude can use all the help it can get.

anxiuosly awaiting --Bruce

Tony Miller

Speaking of horse butts…
Actually it looks like insurance is included...those are the coverage limits, not the rates <g>

To ship a similar 1 pound or so stone from the USA to the Netherlands, insured for $76 is $23.30.

Tony

Kees is a respected member of SRP. He sells the real thing and if he claims the stone is a Thuringian, it is. This is the second one he has listed in the last two weeks (if this is his listing)..
AND, he didn't list these stones on any of the shave B/S/T forums because there are members that sell stones as part of their business and he did not wish to compete.
HOWEVER, I am not at all sure that this is KEES, if that is what you mean. Do you agree?
Sorry, I was on the phone for a bit. Altima55, a quality seller on ebay, lives about 5 blocks from me and I'm going over there tomorrow for awhile and we were having a great chat.

Isn't that Kees?

Jordan

Yes it is me. I have been a member here for some time as well.

These are Thuringers. The rough blocks were quarried before WW II, the hones cut recently by Mueller. This info is from Mueller. A member of Nassrasur.com compared the slurry of vintage Thuringers and these electron microscopically and found them to be identical.

If you like I can mail you the pics.

The objection seems to somehow be tied to the NOS label, but for what reason I cannot imagine.

If you have any queries about or issues with my ebay listing let me know. Via PM or SRP. I haven't been very active on B&B as I am mainly into the mechanics of str8 razor shaving, honing and stropping and do not care much about fancy brushes, A/S, soaps and creams. Although I must admit I could no longer resist the temptation to buy one pot of shaving cream and one cake of shaving soap from Colleen Hurley. She gets so much praise I had to try it.

The reason I am selling them on ebay is that I did not want to fish in the same pond as established vendors like Tony Miller and Howard Schechter. Both Tony and Howard hardly if ever ever market their wares on ebay so I felt it right to list my hones there. The hones are only available in one size, I do not do custom orders, dealing with Mueller is hard enough as it is!

IMHO the info in my listing is correct. Anyone who buys one and is unhappy about what he gets can mail me and we will work sth out to mutual satisfaction.

Thanks, Kees. I was not sure that it was you by looking at the feedback. Glad to see that it is.
If Kees said it, it is the real deal.
Quarried over 70 years ago. Now that is something. Of course stone ages much more slowly than we humans, but these were cut into rough blocks four generations ago, perhaps a millisecond or less to a stone in geologic time.

Tony Miller

Speaking of horse butts…
I won't duplicate my SRP posts here but I see nothing wrong in that listing Kees has written. My stones have a very similar lineage and may well come from exactly the same spot. Kees has one of his on it's way to me now so we can compare the stones.

He is certainly a straight shooter in my book and I would not hesitate to buy from him.

Tony

Since I am now aware that Kees is the seller I have sent him a PM with my questions. For me this thread is finished.

The only fault I would find is the sellers feedback. Only having four feedbacks would make me a bit nervous. Regardless who the person is behind the feedback, your lack of commenting on this issue has only created drama (at least for me). Something that I have tried to avoid by moving here to this site. I am sure Kees can take what you have to say, and the rest of us would benefit from it.

Glen

The only fault I would find is the sellers feedback. Only having four feedbacks would make me a bit nervous. Regardless who the person is behind the feedback, your lack of commenting on this issue has only created drama (at least for me). Something that I have tried to avoid by moving here to this site. I am sure Kees can take what you have to say, and the rest of us would benefit from it.

Glen

I have two of those hones that I bought from Manufactum in Germany with the help of Aschaab about 6 months ago or so. They are indeed a slate based honed of the Escher/Thuringian family. To my knowledge, which is limited, they are not NOS nor is the quarry filled in, again to my limited knowledge.

here is a link to a pic of my stones
http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne?id=535724510&size=o

I have asked Kees to verify that they are NOS or not. I suspect that he has been told a line of BS. I may very well be wrong.
NOS to me means that the quarry is no longer functional and that this stock/item was made some time ago.

I know with certainty that the Tam O'Shanter quarry was closed several years ago. I spoke with the owner, Kenneth Montgomery, and one of our members actually visited the quarry and verified this. I simply do not like it when we are fed a line of BS. Let me reiterate that Kees has a very good reputation and I am sure he will do what he can and let us know. If I had known that Kees was the seller then I never would have made this post and instead would have done this privately. I trust Kees.

Well, Randy -

this is a bit off-topic, but I would love to hear (public or by PM) your impressions of the hones.

Cheers
Ivo

Well, Randy -

this is a bit off-topic, but I would love to hear (public or by PM) your impressions of the hones.

Cheers
Ivo

I really do need to hone a few more razors on them to give a good answer. Probably a 6000-8000 grit range. A bunch of guys in Europe have them and like them a lot.

The story behind the stones is the story of Herr Friedrich Mueller who apparently "inherited" the blocks that were quarried before WW II. According to him the quarry was filled with rubble in the communist era in Eastern Germany. I have not paid the rubble filled quarry a visit personally to check. I have not comapred the MST Thuringers with the Friedr. Mueller Thuringers but I have been told by those who have they are different beasts though geologically similar (volcanic sedimentary stones with garnets).

Top Bottom