What's new

No guard DE?

One more thing that I was wondering... doesn't the etsy and eBay links break the B&B rules... not trying to police, but things are changing around here and was curious if that rule had changed as well.

AFAIK, links to Buy-It-Now listings are okay. Etsy links should fall under the same rule, I would imagine.

Like that he does...

So how about blade flex? I guess the curvature enforced by the cap plus the upward pressure of steep angle eliminates that anyway.

So maybe we don't need guards at all...here comes the next experiment :)

Last edited:
If I just find my RiMei somewhere I will do the very same thing. RiMei is cheap enough for this kind of experiments.

EDIT: Is anyone knowing about a good source for the good RiMei? First time I ordered I had luck. Sadly I ordered only one. Then the next time I had bad luck and got bad copies. The answer might interest other wanting to grind off the bar.

You've probably seen it, but the best advice I've found for that is here:
http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/364248-New-Improved-Version-of-Ri-Mei-Sodial-Razor

Well if this works we've rapidly moved up to a new level:
proxy.php

Is that blade going to chatter or will the curve save it?

The corner flex is no more (with a washer) than a DE blade in my Wardonia ... which I know shaves well.

Well if this works we've rapidly moved up to a new level:

Is that blade going to chatter or will the curve save it?

Oh ... that works, my paternal grandfather never used the base plate of his razor. I still have the cap and the handle, the base plate ... he probably binned it decades ago.

The blade feels different on my face, slightly rougher than usual - reminds me of the GEM SE blades. I tried both shallow and steep angles, the roughness was still there.

The shave was fine though, close shave, no nicks, no weepers, no post shave irritation, but honestly I don't think I'll be as enthusiastic about this as you guys.

I'm not entirely sure that we are actually saying different things here. The exposed blade feel is pretty intense. I would call it "harsh" rather than "rough" even though that may well be a distinction w/o a difference. And I found the blade feel to be kind of exhilarating. Most importantly, I really liked how good my face felt after the shave was over. I splashed on some witchhazel and didn't even bother with AS.
I could see doing a DEvette shave once a week or so ...

The corner flex is no more (with a washer) than a DE blade in my Wardonia ... which I know shaves well.

Oh ... that works, my paternal grandfather never used the base plate of his razor. I still have the cap and the handle, the base plate ... he probably binned it decades ago.
So we don't need the baseplate at all then...
...and there are several mentions in this thread of previous generations using this method, so are we just reviving a well established practice from the past which has somehow been lost to us until now?

I'm not entirely sure that we are actually saying different things here. The exposed blade feel is pretty intense. I would call it "harsh" rather than "rough" even though that may well be a distinction w/o a difference. And I found the blade feel to be kind of exhilarating. Most importantly, I really liked how good my face felt after the shave was over. I splashed on some witchhazel and didn't even bother with AS.
I could see doing a DEvette shave once a week or so ...

I don't know, Doc ... Harsh, rough, not pleasant, but yeah - harsh is probably the word. The R41 is pleasant, and I can just shave without having to concentrate too much.

Maybe I'm not being fair. Maybe I need to experiment a bit more, see what other razors I have lying around that could be turned into devettes ...
It's not like it was bad, it was certainly different and not what I was expecting. I was expecting the feeling of a steep angled R41, far from that.

We'll see ... :thumbup1:

so are we just reviving a well established practice from the past which has somehow been lost to us until now?

I guess so ... I remember a thread, a few months ago, where a member purchased a New Improved on eBay and one side of the combs had been cut off.
So you see, if you dig deep enough you may even find home made, shave ready devettes. :lol:

Is this the one you were thinking of Nuke?

Some interesting comments from fellow B&Bers...

No, the one I was talking about is a New Improved, I just couldn't find the thread.

But I posted in your thread too. Well, I guess you know what this means.

You'll have to try it now! :laugh:

We will see... being a relative newbie using my OC new makes me feel 'wild and crazy'... the results of me using this could be spectacular!

Top Bottom