What's new

Newbie Pen Guy....

I want to get into this! Few questions. Are fountain pens notorious for leaking? I'd hate to get black ink all over my uniform! Also. Any recommendations on a first, really cool, awesome, and unnecessarily expensive pen!?

I'm a newbie as well but I haven't had any trouble with my Parker 21 or Platinum Preppie leaking. Others with more knowledge and experience will be along with recommendations. Thanks for your service from me and mine.

strop

Now half as wise
I've never had a good fountain pen leak in my shirt pocket. I've ruined a couple putting a rollerball or gel tip in my pocket uncapped.

Some may shoot me for saying this bu IMO the most unnecessarily expensive pen is a MontBlanc. There are lots of great pens out there for significantly less money...Pelican,Waterman, Sailor, Bexley, Edison to name a few. All are cool and awesome.

Mark

I've read that fountain pens cal leak when you fly because of the pressure changes during landing and takeoff. You can supposedly combat that by keeping the pen stored with the nib facing upward during the flight.

Otherwise, I've never had a fountain pen leak on me, and I've owned something like 50 to 60 vintage and modern pens over the last 5 years, all ranging from about $15 to $150.

One of the best pens I've ever owned is the Pilot Namiki Vanishing Point (medium and fine nibs are both great... really smooth writers). I have it in Black Carbonesque. I's the most innovative and convenient to use, not to mention reliable, fountain pens I've ever seen. The also come in a huge variety of colors.

I will likely end up buying another VP (yellow maybe) with a medium stub nib.

-Andy

Last edited:
Just read something today about flying with a fountain pen. To prevent leaks, it said, make sure the ink supply is either full or empty. Anywhere in between and air pressure can cause a leak. Don't know if this is true or not, but it makes some sense ...

Some do, some don't. Good pens generally won't. I've had a few that tend to burp ink into the cap and then fling it when you open them. I've not had anything leak enough that it would have run out of the cap.

I have flown with several fountain pens half full and not had trouble, but wouldn't make a habit out of it. One area I have had trouble with with a few pretty good pens is the cold/warm transition. I walk about 10 minutes from the lot to my office, and in the winter it can be around 0F. I have had trouble with a few pens burping ink when they warm back up.

I have not had that problem with any of my pens expect some vintage Wearevers. Overall I trust a fountain far more so then a ballpoint.

for the 'really cool' factor check out the Parker Urban series. you can get the complete starter set off of Amazon for $44.

proxy.php

proxy.php

Last edited:
Top Bottom