What's new

Newbie needing advice on initial purchases

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
Hello five oh18
proxy.php
from Manitoba, Canada (where Hockey is the Coolest Game on Earth [I'm a Goalie],...YaY Baby!!!).
proxy.php

Welcome to the B & B (beside enrolled in fictional, sacred and utopian Order of Shavedom),...please feel free to come up to the sun deck 'sit-a-spell'.

It sounds like you're off to a great start (good deal on purchasing a Merkur and because you choose to use Clubman AS...you're now inducted into the fictional, sacred and utopian Order of Pinaud [a.k.a. 'The Club']).
proxy.php

FYI, this Forum has the knowledge, ideas, and alround 'know-how' to assist in your Wet-Shaving experience. In a nut-shell...your 'gonna' love it here.

Also, I see you already have a good starter kit, but it just might be very wise and 'sage' advice to purchase a Razor Blade Sampler to see what blade would be a good fit (mild, moderate & aggressive, ect...), for your face and Razor. By the way, I happen to like Shark Super Chrome blades with my DE Merkur's 23C & 38C razors.

"Merkur; Solingen quality, Time-tested Tradition with Modern Design".
proxy.php

If you do get a Sampler, my advice is to try 2,3,4 or 5 blades (however which amount per blade brand), before moving on to the next blade.

Long ago when I received my Sampler, I started a Thread entitled "In what Order should I test these Sampler Razor Blades?", and the best advice was from member Optometrist a.k.a David who stated;

"I say jump straight in with the feathers. Yes, they are sharp, but you learn very quickly to let the weight of the razor do the work for you. If you can get the feather right, then it's plain sailing with the others. A few nicks and cuts early on are nothing to worry about and stand you in good stead. Start with a lesser blade and it's a continual learning process as you step up the level of sharpness". :yesnod:

Also, member Npsarros stated, "Keep a spreadsheet with every shave [you], have taken, rating each blade as [you], go along". My spread data ratings reads in columns as thus (PM me and I will send you my workable spread sheet example to your e-mail address.);

Razor Blade / Country / Type - Sharpness? (Aggressive [Very Sharp], Moderate Sharpness or Mild Sharpness), - Closeness of Shave? - Smoothness/Roughness of Shave? - Comfort of Shave? - Overall Rating? (awesome, passable or unpleasant), and Compatible with your Razor(s)?

Enclose below is my Thread and member Posted Replies "In what Order should I test these Sampler Razor Blades?", which may be of some interest and help to you.

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=180210&highlight=order

Below is the B & B Wet Shaving Instructions and Tutorials.

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=71700

Although, you may not be additted yet (I think I'm holding up fairly well...with a few exceptions), because we all suffer (gladly and are doomed perhaps :lol1:), from this shaving complusion (and other Acquisition Disorders), because at times..."Resistance is futile".
proxy.php

Once you do get time...please don't forget to tell us a little about yourself in the Hall of Fame sub-forum.

Christopher
proxy.php
"A razor [blade] can't be sharpened on a piece of velvet." Anonymous

PS Please don't forget to watch the
proxy.php
VS.
proxy.php
(game 3 on CBC tonight).
proxy.php

I chose the Merkur 38c HD because it was like the Merkur 34c HD, but with a longer handle. I would recommend that, and also get a Badger brush instead of Boar brush.

I chose the Merkur 38c HD because it was like the Merkur 34c HD, but with a longer handle. I would recommend that, and also get a Badger brush instead of Boar brush.

I actually disagree with the boar vs badger suggestion in this quote, and I will tell you why: Boar brushes are inexpensive, versatile, and excellent for face-lathering (which I believe to be an easier technique with which to get good lather as a beginner). As well, once you have used a boar brush a few dozen times, it will become extremely soft at the tips while retaining some stiffness lower down. A good combination. My $0.02.

As for the general starter kit, that sure sounds good. The only other kit I would suggest you look at before making your purchase is the starter kits at Italianbarber.com. They have some real quality stuff for beginners at great prices.

Figured I would bump this thread, I haven't posted much but I'm on B&B everyday looking around. I ordered all of the stuff I listed in my first post and started wet-shaving in August, and its been going great! Way better than any cartridge razor and way more fun. I've only been using the products from my first kit, I figured this way I could narrow down things I'm doing wrong without too many variables. I really like using the Proraso pre-shave and shaving cream, and the alum block helps alot. Also really like the Pinaud-Clubman aftershave. My favourite blades to use with the Merkur 34C so far have been the Gillette 7o'clock yellow, Derby Extra, Personna Red, and Dorco. Still haven't used the Feather's.

So now I think it's time to start building the collection a bit more, trying a different razor, brush, and shaving products. Always glad to have B&B here to research and inquire about all things shaving!

starter kit sounds great, it's almost identical to what i first purchased when i started, and i also got turned onto wet shaving by that same article on the Art of Manliness. here are a few little bits of input:

1. look into liquid lanolin, glycerin, and witch hazel as possible additional products. personally, i'm EXTREMELY grateful for lanolin (it seems to help me get vastly superior lathers despite having hard water here in Vegas), not too keen on glycerin though i'm still experimenting with it, and VERY grateful for witch hazel, which has been amazing for keeping my face soft and smooth.

2. try out a lot of different blades. seriously, DO THIS. you're VERY likely to be able to get an assortment of blades for free, for trade, or for a very low price if you browse the forums here. in particular, check out the Shaving Mall - buy/sell/trade section. you will find A TON of things in there that you will want to try, and you'll be able to get them far cheaper than buying new. and as you acquire a few things that you've tried and no longer want, you can start trading them out for more new things until you find the perfect combination.

3. with your alum block, remember that it's a very mild styptic, but it IS a styptic. if you have small nicks that are bleeding very slowly, rub the alum block over them for around 25 passes, which will seem excessive, and then let the alum sit on your face for about 90 seconds before you rinse it off. once i realized that alum will work as a styptic if i just apply it generously and then let it sit, i was very grateful, because that block will last FOREVER.

Top Bottom