What's new

Newbie Looking For ID Assistance

Hello! I am hoping for some assistance identifying what I believe is an old razor blade holder. I'm clearing out some stuff to prepare for a move and this item has me stumped. It's marked F.C. Gorham Co, Chicago, IL, Pat.Mch.9.1909. Do you know what this would be called? Thank you.
20240217_142142.jpg
20240217_142131.jpg
20240217_142116.jpg

Looks like a very early style shavette (straight razor with disposable blades) in a more Japanese Kamasori style. Most likely however I think this might be a barber tool for edging hair after a hair cut - like side burns and neck.

Nice piece of history.

Guido

Looks like a very early style shavette (straight razor with disposable blades) in a more Japanese Kamasori style. Most likely however I think this might be a barber tool for edging hair after a hair cut - like side burns and neck.

Nice piece of history.

Guido

+1! That would be my guess also. Hopefully, someone will have more specific information.

Nice piece of history.

Guido
Thank you kindly for the reply!

Hello! I am hoping for some assistance identifying what I believe is an old razor blade holder. I'm clearing out some stuff to prepare for a move and this item has me stumped. It's marked F.C. Gorham Co, Chicago, IL, Pat.Mch.9.1909. Do you know what this would be called? Thank you.
View attachment 1797910View attachment 1797911View attachment 1797912
Tetanus is what you have there is a means to deliver tetanus. LOL There, I ID'ed it. My job is done.

Gotham Manufacturing Company was a pretty big silver manufacturer in 20th century, American I believe. If you google them, there are quite a few sites selling their vintage stuff as collectables. I think it's been bought out by another corporation. Like the others have said it does look like an early form of a shavette dating back to 1900s. The "Pat.Mch.9.1909" is a reference to a patent filing. I would guess you can find out more if you were to dig into the patent's registry but you might get charged.

Gotham Manufacturing Company was a pretty big silver manufacturer in 20th century, American I believe. If you google them, there are quite a few sites selling their vintage stuff as collectables. I think it's been bought out by another corporation. Like the others have said it does look like an early form of a shavette dating back to 1900s. The "Pat.Mch.9.1909" is a reference to a patent filing. I would guess you can find out more if you were to dig into the patent's registry but you might get charged.
Actually, you can find it using the global patent search - https://ppubs.uspto.gov/dirsearch-public/print/downloadPdf/0915024

Top Bottom