What's new

Newbie - Current Setup & Overview

Hello again! So the past couple days here's what I have going on - I used a KC Gillette (made in China) blade with the 921-M and yuck what a bad shave I had! Totally irritated my neck with a couple nicks on the neck and mouth area and my skin burned with the Alum like I never had before. So I only did one pass with that blade and swapped to a Personna for the next 2 passes. I had already used this Personna blade 3x, and it went much better after switching. 24-hours later I decided to shave again - I couldn't just let things rest because I wanted to have a nice shave experience, I couldn't go on with a negative shave in memory :)
I used the Winning razor with the Gillette Platinum blade and had a very good shave overall DFS+. The couple of nicks I had from my previous shave flared up again but quickly stopped and no new nicks or weepers. I only did a 2 pass shave this time so it wasn't as close but definitely more comfortable.
I think I learned that my face can handle one of the following: shave daily with 1 or 2 (WTG & XTG) passes using a milder razor or shave every other day with 3 passes using a more aggresive razor. I will rest my face for 2 days now and try the daily shaving with 1 or 2 passes, skipping the ATG pass for now. Does anyone else do something similar? I just can't see doing a 3 pass shave every day at this point.

Hello again! So the past couple days here's what I have going on - I used a KC Gillette (made in China) blade with the 921-M and yuck what a bad shave I had! Totally irritated my neck with a couple nicks on the neck and mouth area and my skin burned with the Alum like I never had before. So I only did one pass with that blade and swapped to a Personna for the next 2 passes. I had already used this Personna blade 3x, and it went much better after switching. 24-hours later I decided to shave again - I couldn't just let things rest because I wanted to have a nice shave experience, I couldn't go on with a negative shave in memory :)
I used the Winning razor with the Gillette Platinum blade and had a very good shave overall DFS+. The couple of nicks I had from my previous shave flared up again but quickly stopped and no new nicks or weepers. I only did a 2 pass shave this time so it wasn't as close but definitely more comfortable.
I think I learned that my face can handle one of the following: shave daily with 1 or 2 (WTG & XTG) passes using a milder razor or shave every other day with 3 passes using a more aggresive razor. I will rest my face for 2 days now and try the daily shaving with 1 or 2 passes, skipping the ATG pass for now. Does anyone else do something similar? I just can't see doing a 3 pass shave every day at this point.
Some have issues shaving with more than 1 or 2 passes everyday so no need to feel bad about that. I shave 3 passes 6 times a week but at times when things are not as they should I get accumulating irritation and have to take a break for a day. I think for your just starting out that may be what you need for now but that may change over time. You might find in time that your can handle 3 passes every day or maybe you find that you can't. We are all so different.

I just started wet shaving last month for my 44th birthday. Some shaves have gone well but some, like the one yesterday, not so much. Reading here has been super helpful so I decided to join - thank you all for the great info. It seems this craft is highly subjective but this is what I have going on so far over the past month.
I shave every 2-3 days.
I would say I have fairly course hair on the thicker side but have never grown a full beard.
Razors: Rockwell 6S, Henson AL 13 mild (on the way is a Mamba 70)
Shave Creams: Taylor of Old Bond, Casswell-Massey, Proraso
Brush: Simpsons TrafalgarBrush
Aftershave: Nivea
My not so great experience yesterday was with a Rockwell 6S #3 then #1 "settings" and a Feather blade (first time trying the Feather). I got a lot of irritation and cuts especially on the neck area and not as close a shave as I expected. My previous shaves were with the Henson AL 13 mild and Astra or Parker blades which have been really good or okay shaves. It sounds like Newb's shouldn't change things up too much at first but I am experimenting a bit which is fun. The Rockwell feels great in the hand but I don't appreciate the head size/cap and that the blade sticks out on the edges. I had trouble shaving under the nose due to the size of the Rockwell cap. Then Henson shaves really nicely with little to no irritation but feels a tad light in the hand. After reading the thread on lathering correctly, I think my recent lather (Taylor of Old Bond) was a bit on the thick side and was drying out on my face a bit, so I will try to correct this next time. I had really good success using Proraso shave cream, or maybe it was some other factors.
Also, I pulled the trigger on a RazoRock because it has good reviews and looks like it has a smaller head/cap. The only thing is I don't know if I bought the best RazoRock for a Newbie, it's the Mamba 70, won't know until I try - should I have gone with the 53?. When the Mamba arrives I'm thinking that I should probably stick with the Astra or Parker blades.
I have often hoped my facial hair would grow back thicker and faster so I can shave more and more...I never thought I would want that :)
Any comments or input on what I have going on so far would be appreciated! Thank you!
Jay
I started when I turned 45 this year. I didn't read reviews I just did it for the money savings. Bought a Chieftan because it looked cool and got some cheap blades to go with it.....That was a mistake. lol After reading reviews, I ultimately went for Vintage Gillette and found my way to BiC Chrome Platinum blades. For Cream Proraso is the best (IMHO), Taylor of old Bond has the best pre-shave conditioner. For after shave, I love the classic smell of Clubman Pinaud. The most important thing I have learned in my journey from cartridges (Harry's) is pressure and blade angle. Keep it near 30 degrees and let the weight of the handle do the work. Good Luck!

I redeemed myself with a DFS+ shave last night! I used Viking sandalwood pre-shave, Proraso sandalwood (red tube) shave cream with a RazoRock Bruce brush, Captain's copper lather bowl, Henson mild razor, GSB blade. Really nice 2 pass on the face, 3 pass on the neck shave without any redness, irritation (tiny alum tingle on the neck), no weepers/nicks. Finished up with Thayer's Witch Hazel and some Proraso sandalwood aftershave for a great shave experience. The other thing I did this time was made my lather a bit thicker than before which seemed to provide more "cushion" when shaving. I just ordered the Henson ++ medium razor because although I am content with the mild Henson, there might be a tad more efficiency to be had with the medium...to be determined. The KC Gillette blade (China) really did me in 2 times ago so I am glad to be back in the saddle with a "normal" shave again!

Decided to go for a 3rd day in a row shave. I started off with the first pass using a Feather blade with extra caution and zero pressure. The Feather just doesn’t seem to like my face for some reason. I didn’t get any weepers or nicks but I could see some redness brewing on the neck. I also heard, for the first time, what could be described as a “chatter”. Seemed like the blade was loosely held in place or something. My next pass xtg was with a Gillette Platinum blade (noticeably smoother with none of that “chatter” noise & feel). I did a final atg on the neck, I could have left it alone after the first two passes but the stubble was bothering me so I went in for the kill. It came out looking DFS/DFS+ but had some redness on the neck. Ironically no real burning or stinging with the alum, witch hazel, or after shave.
I did wash my face with cool water and Duke Canon face wash, used Proraso pre-shave with a nice menthol cooling feeling. Then I used Proraso original (green) shave cream, lathered nice and thick.
I continued to use cool to cold water for rinsing and it actually felt really nice. I will definitely continue to try using cool to cold water.
I have to give this a 4.5-5 stars because although it’s not BBS I really enjoyed this shave. The Leaf has a nice feel to it and is easy to maneuver and use under the nose and across the sideburns. I’m really liking the SE variety of wet shaving.
IMG_4634.jpeg

Decided to go for a 3rd day in a row shave. I started off with the first pass using a Feather blade with extra caution and zero pressure. The Feather just doesn’t seem to like my face for some reason. I didn’t get any weepers or nicks but I could see some redness brewing on the neck. I also heard, for the first time, what could be described as a “chatter”. Seemed like the blade was loosely held in place or something. My next pass xtg was with a Gillette Platinum blade (noticeably smoother with none of that “chatter” noise & feel). I did a final atg on the neck, I could have left it alone after the first two passes but the stubble was bothering me so I went in for the kill. It came out looking DFS/DFS+ but had some redness on the neck. Ironically no real burning or stinging with the alum, witch hazel, or after shave.
I did wash my face with cool water and Duke Canon face wash, used Proraso pre-shave with a nice menthol cooling feeling. Then I used Proraso original (green) shave cream, lathered nice and thick.
I continued to use cool to cold water for rinsing and it actually felt really nice. I will definitely continue to try using cool to cold water.
I have to give this a 4.5-5 stars because although it’s not BBS I really enjoyed this shave. The Leaf has a nice feel to it and is easy to maneuver and use under the nose and across the sideburns. I’m really liking the SE variety of wet shaving.
View attachment 1842006
The Leaf you have is it the Twig or the Thorn?

It’s been 72 hours since my last shave because I was letting my face rest. I think doing 3 days in a row was too much. I tried the Bic Chrome Platinum this evening courtesy of @dmshaver. I washed with Duke Cannon, pre-shave with Proraso, lather with Proraso sandalwood cream, and used the Yates Merica razor. The first pass WTG was perfect. The second pass was XTG and this blade was sharper than I expected. I tried a Feather recently and it was “too much” for me. I felt like this Bic was just below that. I got 2 small weepers near the mouth and one tiny one on the mid neck. After the second pass I didn’t want to push my luck and it was a DFS at that point so I just did a couple little touch ups under the nose, chin, and 2 small spots on both sides of the neck. Overall it was probably a 4/5 shave. I think if I went to a third pass the rating/feeling would have dropped significantly. The alum stung a bit around the weepers but it’s been about an hour since I shaved and things have calmed down nicely with no redness or irritation at this point. I should try the Bic again to be fair and maybe really watch my pressure and pace or maybe use a milder razor - not sure how much milder I can go though.
For those in the States, have a good evening and for those across the pond have a good day!

It’s been 72 hours since my last shave because I was letting my face rest. I think doing 3 days in a row was too much. I tried the Bic Chrome Platinum this evening courtesy of @dmshaver. I washed with Duke Cannon, pre-shave with Proraso, lather with Proraso sandalwood cream, and used the Yates Merica razor. The first pass WTG was perfect. The second pass was XTG and this blade was sharper than I expected. I tried a Feather recently and it was “too much” for me. I felt like this Bic was just below that. I got 2 small weepers near the mouth and one tiny one on the mid neck. After the second pass I didn’t want to push my luck and it was a DFS at that point so I just did a couple little touch ups under the nose, chin, and 2 small spots on both sides of the neck. Overall it was probably a 4/5 shave. I think if I went to a third pass the rating/feeling would have dropped significantly. The alum stung a bit around the weepers but it’s been about an hour since I shaved and things have calmed down nicely with no redness or irritation at this point. I should try the Bic again to be fair and maybe really watch my pressure and pace or maybe use a milder razor - not sure how much milder I can go though.
For those in the States, have a good evening and for those across the pond have a good day!
Yep the BIC had to be approached with a bit of care. Indeed I also would recommend s mild razor with that one for the first outing. It did settle down after a few shaves and have a long longevity for many users.

I am trying to dodge Feathers and BIC blades till I get more courage and confidence.
Although the excitement of using it is killing me already.

If that day would come, plan to put it first in my Henson Mild.
Just to be safe and have a nice memorable first hand experience with it.

Yep the BIC had to be approached with a bit of care. Indeed I also would recommend s mild razor with that one for the first outing. It did settle down after a few shaves and have a long longevity for many users.
I am trying to dodge Feathers and BIC blades till I get more courage and confidence.
Although the excitement of using it is killing me already.

If that day would come, plan to put it first in my Henson Mild.
Just to be safe and have a nice memorable first hand experience with it.
Thank you men!
I actually didn’t realize the Bic was such a heavy hitter but at least I didn’t get torn up like the Feather did to me - or I did to me haha 😆
The Henson is probably something I could have and should have used if I had suspected the Bic to bite. Otherwise the Yates Winning razor is very similar to the Henson in my opinion.
Now that I am typing this, I think I will try the Bic in the Henson next time…thanks for that recommendation.

Thank you men!
I actually didn’t realize the Bic was such a heavy hitter but at least I didn’t get torn up like the Feather did to me - or I did to me haha 😆
The Henson is probably something I could have and should have used if I had suspected the Bic to bite. Otherwise the Yates Winning razor is very similar to the Henson in my opinion.
Now that I am typing this, I think I will try the Bic in the Henson next time…thanks for that recommendation.
Here is what I usually do with a brand new blade to me.

Start out the first 1,2,3 shaves in a razor that is on the milder side
Then I move the blade to a bit more aggressive razor once it has "calmed" down a bit to finish out the week.

This has worked for me, but as always YMMV.

I found this few months ago, some blade sharpness chart comparison.
1st 3 shaves and its average sharpness overall.

You can have a rough idea where your preferred blade falls into.
They actually rated BIC chrome as the sharpest on their test.

What Is The Best Razor Blade? The Science Of Sharpness - Sharpologist - https://sharpologist.com/the-science-of-blade-sharpness/

View attachment 1843001
Wow that’s interesting thank you for sharing this!

Here is what I usually do with a brand new blade to me.

Start out the first 1,2,3 shaves in a razor that is on the milder side
Then I move the blade to a bit more aggressive razor once it has "calmed" down a bit to finish out the week.

This has worked for me, but as always YMMV.

I like that idea a lot, good info!

Did your Henson medium arrived already, how do you compare it with the mild?
I could barely notice the difference on mine to be honest.

BTW is your Blackbird Light - Satin or Polished finished?
Hey thanks for follow up. The Henson ++ is delayed in the mail, it was due yesterday but no date showing now due to weather conditions in the midwest it said and mine is coming from Shave Nation. I wanted to use it tonight but don't think it's going to happen. Any suggestions for a blade to start in the Henson ++? Nacet, GSB, Astra, Dorco (I got some PIF'd to me).

The Blackbird is Satin. It's definitely a favorite of mine, the look and feel are propably tied with my Yates (the Blackbird handle has more grip but the Yates has the built in magnet at the bottom handle which is handy so pros and cons to both = tied in my opinion).

Hey thanks for follow up. The Henson ++ is delayed in the mail, it was due yesterday but no date showing now due to weather conditions in the midwest it said and mine is coming from Shave Nation. I wanted to use it tonight but don't think it's going to happen. Any suggestions for a blade to start in the Henson ++? Nacet, GSB, Astra, Dorco (I got some PIF'd to me).

The Blackbird is Satin. It's definitely a favorite of mine, the look and feel are propably tied with my Yates (the Blackbird handle has more grip but the Yates has the built in magnet at the bottom handle which is handy so pros and cons to both = tied in my opinion).
Either of those blades will work really well. Nacet has the coolest tuck art, go with that. Actually I take that back....I would at least start with the blade you have already been using so you do not change too many things at once.

Top Bottom