What's new

Newb wants new DE safety razor.... but which one?

Thanks for all the help guys.... Everything I considered getting, I checked the review section here and the searches here first.... So much great info, it'd be hard for a guy to go wrong on here.

Thanks again, and I'll let you know how the first shave goes when I get the goods!

So for the first shave with the DE.

I used the Merkur blade that came with my 34c, some shave soap, and some cremo cream. I tried to remember not to use any pressure, and not to shave over the same spot. Well it seems I concentrated more on the no pressure idea, and caught myself going over the same spots, and even going a little quicker than I should, just used to the fusion I guess. I did a couple passes, one WTG, and one XTG. It wasn't BBS, but I expected that. I'd say it was comparable with the fusion WTG shave, but the good part was, there wasn't any ingrown hairs or razor bumps later in the day. Once I was done, I rinsed with cold water, and put some of God's gift, the Clubman anti-aging aftershave cream with caffeine, on my face.

After the shave, my face had never felt so good, and it made me want to shave again later that night, but I managed to hold off.

Pretty much the same for the 2nd shave. I then decided to mix up a batch of lather with cream, then with the soap. It seemed like I could get a bit better lather with the soap for some reason. I then did a little bit of ATG shaving on my cheeks, just to see how it' do, and it was very nice.

For my 3rd shave, I decided to try a new blade. I put in a Dorco blade, and went along with the shave with just soap. What a nightmare. The blade tugged on my skin, it hurt going WTG, and then I tried an ATG pass, and couldn't finish it. I now have a few missed spots on my face, and the Dorco is definitely going in the garbage. I may try the Gillette 7'oclock blades next, I've heard good things about them. Then I have some derbys, red pack personas, and some feathers to try.

Oh yeah, and before all of my shaves, I prepped with a regular shower, so I don't think the Dorco even compares to the Merkur blade.

I am certainly no expert (yet!) but I wonder if sticking with one type of blade/cream for a bit longer might be a good idea. I was also like you and wanted to try all my new soaps/creams/blades as soon as possible but it became difficult to determine which variable was making a shave better or worse than the one before it when I kept changing (especially when I was still learning to wield the razor itself). I then settled on one combination and used that for months until my technique improved...at the beginning it's hard to know what is due to the tools and what is due to your technique. It seems that it's only once you get a basic technique down that you can really judge a soap or blade as good or bad. Just my 2 cents...:tongue:

Because, my friend, I want one that I can say is truly mine, and if I decide to pass it down to my son, I'm not passing down someone else's original razor, I'm passing down mine, that was originally mine.

I didn't know B&B was an antique forum... I thought it was all about wet shaving whatever you use. So, that being said, if you think I'm in the wrong place, and the other posters feel the same way, then I probably am. Because you didn't read the first post thoroughly, I'll apologize for wasting your time. And to those who took the time to read it, and posted their replies based on it, I thank you for you experienced advise.

Take it easy DD. No one is going to run you out of here with pitchforks and torches because you dislike vintage razors. What MikeLip was just trying to point out something that every newbie here will eventually learn. That "new quality razor" you think you want will not hold a candle to the build quality and performance of one of those rickety vintage razors you currently loathe. Merkurs are nice but personally I find the finish leaves a bit to be desired. My slant is nice but my 70+ year old Gillette New blows it away in the the finish and performance departments. I won't prod anymore, I'll just say, "You'll see.":blush:

If you start to enjoy wet shaving your razor collection will, no doubt, grow beyond this first razor. When you son is old enough you will have plenty of razors to pick from to pass on to him.

Finally, what is it with every newbie thinking they have sensitive skin. It's like the Lake Wobegon of sensitive skin! Most people do not have sensitive skin! Most people have *gasp* average skin! All those red bumps and ingrown hairs are caused by the multi-blade monstrosities that tug and hack your facial hair off. It's a poor design but it ensures Gillette's profits *cough* patents *cough*. So they come up with Nivea Sensitive and all sorts of other garbage for guys to soothe their irritated skin. It's a pack of lies! I shave every day with a DE. I don't get razor burn and I don't get ingrown hairs, weepers, or cuts. I slap on Aqua Velva and it doesn't burn! For most people sensitive skin is a myth cooked up by razor manufacturers to explain away the hack job their crappy multi-blade razors do on your face. Don't buy into it. Your skin is just fine.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Of course your skin is sensitive to a sharpened piece of steel scraping across it. That is why proper lather combined with proper technique keep that blade gliding on your skin and not digging into it. You will hack up your face when you start wet-shaving. The more you pay attention to pressure and blade angle the less damage you will do but there is light at the end of the tunnel. Keep practicing and you will get to a point where you can shave with no irritation even on your neck. If I can do it so can you!

Last edited:
Just got a buddy started on DE's with a black tip super speed that he is enjoying.

I think any superspeed tech would be a good starter.

I am certainly no expert (yet!) but I wonder if sticking with one type of blade/cream for a bit longer might be a good idea. I was also like you and wanted to try all my new soaps/creams/blades as soon as possible but it became difficult to determine which variable was making a shave better or worse than the one before it when I kept changing (especially when I was still learning to wield the razor itself). I then settled on one combination and used that for months until my technique improved...at the beginning it's hard to know what is due to the tools and what is due to your technique. It seems that it's only once you get a basic technique down that you can really judge a soap or blade as good or bad. Just my 2 cents...:tongue:

+1 I agree. Sticking to the same razor + blade combo is very important. I made the same mistake early on. Sometimes I revisit blades I thought were bad to find that it was my technique that was bad.

I agree with the others that sticking with one combo for a while will help you improve- but I haven't heard much good about the blades you're currently using. Why not try a derby blade and stick with that for a while. Most people here think they're a decent blade, not the best, but a good starter blade that will help you refine your technique. Dorco's and Merkurs don't get the best reviews.

I agree with the others that sticking with one combo for a while will help you improve- but I haven't heard much good about the blades you're currently using. Why not try a derby blade and stick with that for a while. Most people here think they're a decent blade, not the best, but a good starter blade that will help you refine your technique. Dorco's and Merkurs don't get the best reviews.

Sounds like a plan.... If the Derbys are better than the Merkur blades, I'll be VERY happy, as I have no complaints about the Merkur blade. Although, I'm only able to compare it to that Dorco. I'll try the Dorco one more time in a couple months or so, just to make sure that they're still crappy, if you know what I mean.

Take it easy DD. No one is going to run you out of here with pitchforks and torches because you dislike vintage razors.

That's old news now, MikeLip and I go back like 4 flats on a Cadillac. :) ... not really though. :D

You're post has some very interesting ideas that I've never thought of. Also, I'm sure I'll end up getting a vintage razor one day, and in the meantime, I think the 34c should be more than adequate to get my technique down and enjoy doing it.

The Tech or super speed is a gentle smooth razor to start out with.I use a Fat Handle Tech in my rotation and get a great shave every time.Theres one in the shave mall on here for 11.00 you might want to check it out.

The reason shaving with DE razors doesn't give you razor bumps is because the beard hairs get shaved off right where the skin begins. With your cartridge blade, the hair gets pulled out of the skin a little, then gets cut off, and then retracts back into the skin, causing the skin to grow closed over the hair. When the hair then grows, it pushes the skin back up, causing a little bump. Often this can result in irritation and in some cases infection.

Good luck with your shaves. You're on the right path!

The 34C/HD is a great choice. I wish I started with one. There's something about the ergonomics and balance of the HD that just makes shaving a pleasure. I get better shaves with my Slant, but I have to concentrate a bit harder than I'm sometimes in the mood for. I just back from 2 weeks on the road with my HD--every shave was delightful and I barely noticed that I packed Merkur blades instead of Feathers (box is the same color).

I'm curious how you're finding the wonderful world of DE Shaving? Have you settled on a blade yet? I must agree with everyone else that said, when you're starting out it's crucial to find one blade and stick with it until you have your technique down.

Top Bottom