What's new

Newb wants new DE safety razor.... but which one?

MY point is you CAN find 'em! I have a NOS ball end tech! In the box! They are everywhere, man! They are a plague unto the land! And as I said they are little different from Merkur - not much has changed in the last 70-80 years or so.

I didn't mean to sound as I did, and I apologize. Seriously, see if you can find one. It shouldn't take more than a day on eBay, or a little patience here at B&B. I find the Techs to be better shavers and milder than any Merkur.
And you will have a piece of history. Maybe not a real important piece of it, but a piece nonetheless.

Earlier this morning, I just did a quick google for Gillette Tech, and they were all used, so I assumed you couldn't find new in box old school razors... I'll keep my eyes peeled... thanks for the advise!

Less weight will be better while you learn your technique and not to use pressure. I think they are also better for sensitive skin.
Exactly, the lighter the handle, the easier it is to let the head of the razor provide all the weight you need and not balance/force/apply any pressure yourself to the razor.
When I was starting out, I got my best shaves with a g1000/g2000 british plastic handled slim TTO razor (with a 60/70s style super speed head)
It was so easy to shave with a long, but light weight handle razor and let it do it's thing rather than moving around a heavier handle where you have less feedback from the head because all you can feel is the handle.
So the lighter the handle, the more feedback from the razor head to your hand.
edit: Don't forget, a standard modern cartridge razor is about 4-4.5" long, A standard DE razor is a tiny 3-3.5" long and heavier. A light and long handled DE razor can help with the transition.

Last edited:
exactly, the lighter the handle, the easier it is to let the head of the razor provide all the weight you need and not balance/force/apply any pressure yourself to the razor.
When i was starting out, i got my best shaves with a g1000/g2000 british plastic handled slim tto razor (with a 60/70s style super speed head)
it was so easy to shave with a long, but light weight handle razor and let it do it's thing rather than moving around a heavier handle where you have less feedback from the head because all you can feel is the handle.
So the lighter the handle, the more feedback from the razor head to your hand.
Edit: Don't forget, a standard modern cartridge razor is about 4-4.5" long, a standard de razor is a tiny 3-3.5" long and heavier. A light and long handled de razor can help with the transition.

+1

Earlier this morning, I just did a quick google for Gillette Tech, and they were all used, so I assumed you couldn't find new in box old school razors... I'll keep my eyes peeled... thanks for the advise!

There is at least one NIB Tech on the 'Bay right now. The box looks ratty, but they always do.

J

Jarmo P

There is a NOS Feather Portable safety razor. It is a tech like razor design, but it is supposed to be more aggressive. I ordered one last week and will be interesting to shave with it ones it arrives.

My recommendation is for Merkur fixed head razors.
HD (34) and 38, Progress and slants are 2 piece razors.

There is a NOS Feather Portable safety razor. It is a tech like razor design, but it is supposed to be more aggressive. I ordered one last week and will be interesting to shave with it ones it arrives.

My recommendation is for Merkur fixed head razors.
HD (34) and 38, Progress and slants are 2 piece razors.

I have one of those too. I never got around to opening the package. I had a bad case of RAD for a while.

There is at least one NIB Tech on the 'Bay right now. The box looks ratty, but they always do.

Wow.. very sharp looking razor (no pun intended), I'll be keeping my eye on that one, however, I ended up ordering a Merkur 34c this morning.... If the Tech goes for cheap enough, I may put a snipe bid in on it to see if I can get that one too!

Because, my friend, I want one that I can say is truly mine, and if I decide to pass it down to my son, I'm not passing down someone else's original razor, I'm passing down mine, that was originally mine.

I didn't know B&B was an antique forum... I thought it was all about wet shaving whatever you use. So, that being said, if you think I'm in the wrong place, and the other posters feel the same way, then I probably am. Because you didn't read the first post thoroughly, I'll apologize for wasting your time. And to those who took the time to read it, and posted their replies based on it, I thank you for you experienced advise.

Please don't be discouraged with B&B. There are many collectors and many that prefer the vintage Gillettes.

I fully understand your desire to have a razor that is truly yours.

My first recent DE shave was with a 1971 Gillette Super Speed that belonged to my father. I found it in his old travel kit, which is with some of his things in our basement. Once I decided to continue, I wanted a razor that was truly mine. I bought a new Merkur 38C, which is the long-handled heavy duty, known as the barber pole because of the spiral engraving on the handle. This is still one of my favorite razors. I also have two other Merkurs that were purchased new (the 34C HD and the 42C 1904 Classic).

I now have three razors that are truly mine and were not somebody else's.

Since then, I had been reading about the various Gillette razors and have bought many (too many?) used ones, both because of the history behind them and because they are great razors.

This is strictly a matter of personal preference. Use whatever razor or razors you like and that work well for you.

Besides that, B&B is a great resource for all things shaving related. Reviews of razors, soaps, shaving creams, after shaves, etc. There are many good postings on how to make lather, difference between brushes, and general shaving. If you have questions, there are many out there who will help.

Also, I find that many of the folks here are some of the most friendly and helpful people I have encountered. This goes beyond shaving. There was a gentlemen who was selling his razors to help pay for medical expenses for his search and rescue dog that became ill after Katrina. People were offering donations. Another gentlemen recently sold off most of his razors to help pay for his wife's medical expenses. Again, people were offering donations. These are great people and I hope you will give B&B a chance.

I know where your coming from , and i wanted a 'new' new myself when i started , it just felt like the right thing to do.

So i opted with the Merkur HD 34C. Its a Fantastic bit of kit.
Solidly built , and great to learn on...

But over the last year ive discovered why so many here are fanatical over classic / vintage razors.. Its an oft used phrase but 'they just dont make em like they used to'...:lol:

My advice however is go with what your most comfortable using....

Anyway welcome to B&B!

Okay... couldn't find RAD with the search feature...

I find the search feature here at B&B a little on the useless side too. Razors aside for a moment, if you want to get the most out of B&B try these tips below. Oh, I'm not responsible for these- smarter people than myself have figured this stuff out. I'm just passing along the wisdom.

You can do this from a google search bar

type
site:badgerandblade.com then type a space and then whatever you're searching for.

this will limit google searches to this web site only.

or you can use this:

http://mycroft.mozdev.org/search-engines.html?name=Badger&Blade

this is quick and dirty and uber useful.

So this is what I ended up getting as my first kit....

1 x Col. Conk World's Famous Shaving Soap - Almond (SS-CON-ALM) = $3.00
1 x Cremo Cream Shaving Cream (SC-CRE-001) = $8.00
1 x DE Blade Sampler Pack, Choice (DE Blade Sampler Pack, Choice) = $13.75
1 x Merkur 34C Heavy Duty Safety Razor (34C) = $33.50
CC775 Shaving Stand - Chrome with Hook For ... 1 18.95 18.95
CC1001 Shaving Brush Standard Pure Badger wi... 1 19.95 19.95

The brush is a Col. Conk, which from the helpful reviews on here made me comfortable with getting. What do ya'll think?

Looks like a good set up to get you started.

Make sure to check through mantics vids again prior to your first shave , remember no pressure and take your time ..

The brush is a Col. Conk, which from the helpful reviews on here made me comfortable with getting. What do ya'll think?

Looks like a fine kit to me! If you ever think about getting another new DE razor, check out Joel's The DE Buyers Guide for some wonderful information.

I think you're off to a great start! I love Col. Conk almond. At first, I thought the scent was too strong, but now I can't go without it.

Here's some things that may help:

http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/index.php/How_to_make_great_lather_from_a_soap

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=437

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?p=3786#post3786

The 34C is one of my favorite razors; for now, in the top 3 with my 38C and 1946-1947 Aristocrat. I didn't buy it first because one of the reviews cautioned to not buy it first because you'd never buy another razor. I guess that reviewer was immune to RAD.

I wish you the best of luck and remember, there are folks here to help if you need it.

38c!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Let him get used to the 34C. There will be plenty of time for a 38C.
BTW, I used my 38C this morning as it was its turn. Great shave!

Looks like a good set up to get you started.

Make sure to check through mantics vids again prior to your first shave , remember no pressure and take your time ..

"take your time"

That reminds me that I have to go to our local post office today. Watching the employees will remind me how to do things S L O W L Y and T a k e M y T i m e.

I hope I'm not offending any postal workers here.

Good call on the 34c! As a fellow new DE shaver, I find it to be easy to use and quite effective.

Cheers!

Top Bottom