What's new

New to DE Shaving and need recommendations for blade in a Merkur Progress

Just an update for everyone who has helped me out. I am now 2 shaves in. I am stuck at home because I have COVID for the 3 time. With being bored at home, I broke down and couldn't wait so I used the only blade I have which is a Merkur Platinum. I am still waiting on a bunch different blades I ordered from the suggestions on this thread. (They seem to be taking awhile to ship). I used a synthetic AP shave brush 28mm G5C Fan (which I got as a scratch and dent and really like), Cella red shave soap and my Merkur Progress set on 1. I probably have medium to coarse beard, but since I really wanted to get used to the blade angle I left it set at 1. The first shave had several days growth and I did feel a lot of pulling. This was better on my second shave with only 2 days growth. Not my closest shave ever, but off to a really good start. No cuts or nicks. I used West Coast Shaving unscented aftershave and for good measure the Art of Shaving Oud aftershave balm (got this at TJ maxx, thanks to the tip on this site!). Thanks everyone for being so welcoming and forthcoming with the advice. I really appreciate everyone's help!
Joe

I have 3 Progresses and really like them. The Treet Platinum is my favorite blade and I have fun running the first pass on setting 4, then second pass at 2.5, third at 1.5. It’s a great razor and definitely took me some shaves to dial in. The above comment about getting the top cap on correctly is vital. Triangle on base matches tiny line etched into side of top cap. If this is confusing let us know and a pic will arrive🤓. Great luck with the covid and the razor!

Another plug for Astra SP blades as well as a sampler pack. If you're not already there, get good at lathering soap and pay attention to the pre-shave routine. You don't have to spend a lot of money to have a good shave. The Progress, Astra SP blades, a $10 Omega Boar brush, $10 Proraso white shaving soap, and big box store Nivea balm have been my most consistent go-to equipment through the years. And don't forget to enjoy the ride...

Thanks for the info. I have a bunch of different blades, mostly thanks to the generosity of the people on this site! I am really enjoying everything about this new found hobby! I do have some Astra SP blades, but I haven't gotten around to trying them yet. So far I have used the Merkur blades that initially came with my razor. First shave was rough, but no Nick's or cuts. Subsequent shaves were much smoother. I did try the Gillette silver blue and they were okay. Right now using some Wilkinson swords that I received in a giveaway. So far I like them the best and for now we'll compare other blades against them. I will try the Astra SP next.

Congrats on the progress!
What a superb razor it is!

I would suggest the Wizamet blade as the ultimate combo with the progress.

This blade is buttery smooth but also very sharp and pairs beautifully with the progress.

Top Bottom