What's new

New to DE Razors. Now loving it.

Since I was a teen I have hated shaving. I always come out in razor burns, spots and rashes. I detested shaving. I would hold off for a week and then shave and then feel crap in my skin until the next shave.

Now, in my Fourties’, I am using Double Edge blades and a good soap and it’s like my shaving life has changed. I love shaving now. And it was a spur of the moment decision. I was looking at the sensitive gels and foams and cassette blades and wondering if there was anything else. Then I walked out of the chemists and went online and researched. 5 months in and shaving is now a ritual and something I look forward to. I often wonder why these options of more traditional blades and soaps aren’t as pushed as the cassettes.

Anyway. I wanted to introduce myself because I will be looking for advice on some bits.

James

...I often wonder why these options of more traditional blades and soaps aren’t as pushed as the cassettes...
Companies push what is most profitable for them (which is more costly for you).

You could buy enough double edge blades to shave for an entire year for the cost of three or four cartridges. One $10 cake of shaving soap could last about as long as five or six cans of shaving gel.

We can't have that, can we? 👨‍💼

Companies push what is most profitable for them (which is more costly for you).

You could buy enough double edge blades to shave for an entire year for the cost of three or four cartridges. One $10 cake of shaving soap could last about as long as five or six cans of shaving gel.

We can't have that, can we? 👨‍💼
Seriously. I'm also fresh at this and went in on a decent variety of samples and a few different razors and a bunch of different 5 packs of blades. I've got enough to last a year, plus obviously the razors themselves, including ones meant as gifts. Yet I think I've spent LESS than if I'd stuck with fairly modest priced cartridges for that year.
I don't expect I'll resist spending MORE, but spending on a hobby and luxury is one thing, paying out the nose for a necessity is another. I also like that most of my money in terms of soaps and such is going to individuals or small businesses, not some giant corporation. I know, those companies have employees who need the work and get paid, but percentage wise, a lot less of the money goes into the hands of people actually making the product.

Thanks all.

I don’t mean to start controversy or anything.

I noticed someone mention my thing about chemists. Here in the UK Boots is a reputable chain and is still remarked as a chemist because they do prescriptions too.

I would go to my local Boots to buy blades because it was a reputable source. But obviously I have got into DE now.

It’s odd people bonding over shaving. But the amount of people that struggle/find it a chore with shaving and yet I now find myself enjoying it.

I just wish people enjoyed it.

Top Bottom