What's new

New Star Wars trailer.IS OUT!

I said the same thing about the clones, who is that guy? Of course, Han and Luke both wore storm trooper armor(albeit, a little ill-fittingly). I do think the lightsaber looked cool. why is it implausible?
My first impression when disney bought this was that they will probably make some entertaining films. Not great, like episodes 4,5,and 6, but more enjoyable than 1,2, and 3, though I think I rank those prequels higher than most. I know, I know Jar Jar Binks, and both actors who played Anakin were terrible, but I liked them, and the insight they gave to the whole story, even if they lacked in certain areas. Let's face it, Mark Hammel was awful whiny, and the cheese between him, Leia and Han was stinkier than much of what comes out of France. Go disney!

The lightsaber "looks" kinda cool, but from a dueling standpoint it would be impractical. The crossguard is intended to stop a blade from sliding down yours and cutting into your hand. If you look at the design, there is a metal crossguard with short plasma blades emitting from it. If another saber was to hit the crossguard in the manner it was intended to be used, it would not be hitting the plasma, but the metal. You are looking at a small piece of handle material trying to stop a plasma blade that will cut fully into a blast door. Darth Maul's double ended sabre getting cut in half shows that. So now you have something with the potential to cut your own hand off that won't do what it was intended to do.

Only in the beginning of the Empire were the stormtroopers still clones, a holdover from the clone armies of the Republic. Eventually they were phased out, and normal soldiers were recruited instead.

That was the simplest explanation I could possibly give, but this link should clear it right up :p

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Stormtrooper

I stand corrected on the storm trooper. I didn't read all of the books, and wasn't aware of that bit. :blushing:

There is a side function of crossguards where the mini-blades might be helpful, though. Sometimes crossguards could be used to bash opponents at close range, if you look at Sith culture it's all about offense. I think these are more for that than anything else, although if you look at how the beams interact with each other you see that they don't slide like a blade would do, they stick in one spot, I think a beam could get caught on the edge of the mini blades. Just my interpretation at least.

JJ Abrams - "hey you know what will really freak them out? Lets include that clip of the joke sabre with the hilt beams that the intern mocked up the other day. That was a laugh. They will be talking and arguing about this for a WHOLE YEAR, then we won't even put it in the movie!"

On a more serious note, I think George Lucas not having such a major role in the Star Wars franchise is probably the best thing that will ever happen to it. He didn't really have the best track record in the world, starting with Return of the Jedi. From what I read, he is more in an advisory/consulting role.

+1 on the George Lucas comment. At least he cast a decent crew. Disney always picks bad actors.
Yea, Dick Van Dyke and Julie Andrews are TERRIBLE actors...

haha just kidding. Hopefully the casting will turn out well in this one though. I honestly thought Hayden Christensen was just terrible. The little kid who played Anakin in #1 wasn't much better.

So between Disney and Lucas, we should get top notch actors...

Stephen Colbert explains the hilted light sabre to all of the stuck up half witted scrufffy looking nerf herders out there.

[video]http://uproxx.com/gammasquad/2014/12/stephen-colbert-explains-new-lightsaber-to-star-wars-amateurs/[/video]

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
The lightsaber "looks" kinda cool, but from a dueling standpoint it would be impractical. The crossguard is intended to stop a blade from sliding down yours and cutting into your hand. If you look at the design, there is a metal crossguard with short plasma blades emitting from it. If another saber was to hit the crossguard in the manner it was intended to be used, it would not be hitting the plasma, but the metal. You are looking at a small piece of handle material trying to stop a plasma blade that will cut fully into a blast door. Darth Maul's double ended sabre getting cut in half shows that. So now you have something with the potential to cut your own hand off that won't do what it was intended to do.

Yeah ... but ...

Whatever metal or other "stuff" the lightsabre handles are made of, they are able to contain a lightsabre blade (otherwise the user's hand would be the first thing to get diced up, right after the blade went through the handle like a hot knife through butter ... not having a metal to "hold" a blade is the Star Wars equivalent of the old question "can God microwave a burrito so hot even he can't eat it?")

So, presumably whatever the handle (and those two nubs) is made of can contain, and therefore withstand, a lightsabre blade.

There is, of course, the even more tedious and scientific answer:

Dude, just go with it.

Yeah ... but ...

Whatever metal or other "stuff" the lightsabre handles are made of, they are able to contain a lightsabre blade (otherwise the user's hand would be the first thing to get diced up, right after the blade went through the handle like a hot knife through butter ... not having a metal to "hold" a blade is the Star Wars equivalent of the old question "can God microwave a burrito so hot even he can't eat it?")

So, presumably whatever the handle (and those two nubs) is made of can contain, and therefore withstand, a lightsabre blade.

Dude, just go with it.

Could be made out of Mandalorian iron which can't be cut with a light saber. I recently read a spoiler thread that said the saber was created by the art department and was intended to be interesting looking and look like it was built by a novice with no training. The name on the block for it is "junk saber" because it was made from scrap parts.

The new lightsaber may not even be a completed design. Maybe it appeared in this trailer as a simple way of testing whether or not fans like it.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
At least one of the ouches must have liked one.

:a45:

Nope. A rare unanimous vote by all the ouches.

For all the heat that fans gave to Jar Jar Binks, he was only slightly less ridiculous a character than Yoda, who in turn was only slightly less stupid a concept than Bizarro Superman.

I love this situation, over a year before the movie actually comes out, and we are all salivating over 90 seconds of what may all be cut scenes eventually(except for ouch). Max Von Sydow is one of my favorites, from Emperor Ming the merciless, to Liet Kynes, to brewmeister Smith to best Star Wars supporting actor of all time(well, maybe not better than sir alec, but still pretty awesome)!

Thanks to the responses about the hilt on the blade. I like Stephen Colbert's response best, and continue to think it's pretty cool. I'm also partial to football, so I like the little droid rolling around on the ball. Thanks to Fenris for the Clone response and link. I am in over my head in this dialogue, as I haven't explored the Star Wars universe outside the films themselves. Hopefully, Jar Jar Binks children show up to help Luke and Leia's respective progeny save the ewoks descendants from emperor palpatine's grandson, who made a brief appearance as an extra in episode III(I just made that up, nobody freak out), but then Lando's kids come out to help the new Sith lord because of promises made and broken by their father. Of course, they all receive council from the ghosts of Obi-wan, Yoda, and Anakin, who have a side bet about who can screw up the land of the living more than the other, in a good side of the force kind of way, obviously.

Yeah, Star Wars!

I used to fence epee in college..... While the sport of sabre fencing is VERY different from how you would actually fight with that style weapon, I'd say that a light sabre definately resembles that fighting style over a pointed end stabbing/thrusting weapon.

That's all well and good but my issue are scenes from the prequels with two characters standing like 2 feet from each other spinning their light sabers like a cheerleading baton twirler instead of just thrusting straight ahead. Or Darth Grevious with his helicopter spinning blades. ***?

I certainly don't expect 100% "realistic" swordfighting, I just hope they take more inspiration from kendo and german longsword and less about being flashy for the sake of being flashy. Direct, harsh, and brutal, less like the saber is a wand and fighting is effortless. Fight choreography has made HUGE strides in the past decade, I hope they take that into account when doing jedi fight styles.

That's all well and good but my issue are scenes from the prequels with two characters standing like 2 feet from each other spinning their light sabers like a cheerleading baton twirler instead of just thrusting straight ahead. Or Darth Grevious with his helicopter spinning blades. ***?

I certainly don't expect 100% "realistic" swordfighting, I just hope they take more inspiration from kendo and german longsword and less about being flashy for the sake of being flashy. Direct, harsh, and brutal, less like the saber is a wand and fighting is effortless. Fight choreography has made HUGE strides in the past decade, I hope they take that into account when doing jedi fight styles.

I'd think that the coreography style will reflect the times they are in. The flashy almost dance like style in 1, 2 and 3 was from the height of the Jedis time. Up until some of the events in those movies, I'd say most of the trainees on both sides spent more time training technique than actually fighting eachother.

Fast forward to these new movies. Luke barely had a teacher. Yoda and Obi-Wan both died before he got really good instruction. He fought Darth Vader, who by then was older. Thats at least a way to explain away the (lack of) real fight choreography in the OT.

I agree with you in that the flashy style of The PHantom Menace would be completely out of place in this movie. Especially since its basis is a few new initiates, assumingly to both sides who have had no formal training.

Obi Wan's opening move in this fight is a thrust.

That's so cool! I know there are flaws with those movies, but the coolest parts are worth some low points, and maybe make the low points seem ultra-bad by comparison to how ultra-cool the best parts really are. I think most of us would agree, if someone could just make a Star Wars movie without the corniness, without the terrible acting, with all of the great things about the franchise that drew us in the first place(i.e. lightsabers, stormtroopers, awesome spacecraft, special effects that defied the senses, overall good plot), we would cease most everything else we were doing and just watch that. I think JJ may be that guy, but it's killing me that this is still a year away. At least I can catch the end of the Hobbit this month. Bilbo!!!

Why didn't Obi-wan use some force blows, or drop a spaceship on Grievous. Why would he try to kick a droid? Reminds me of Luke "Casey at the plate" Skywalker swinging away at those stauncheons and things that Vader was hurling at him and missing horrifically. Hilarious.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah ... but ...

Dude, just go with it.
I realize that it is all science FICTION, and it is made to look cool. And it does look cool. But the blade isn't contained by the handle, it is emitted from the end.
$interior.jpg
Therefore, I stand by what I said. That stated, I am not a guru on lightsaber building, or the force, so it is just my opinion from what I have seen.
Again, I think it looks cool, but in my OPINION, it is not practical. I really hope they present it in a way that doesn't disappoint.

From what I understand Disney is going to be making other Star Wars films in between episodes 6, 7 and 8. The subject are these films are going to focus on particular characters in the Star Wars universe. Origin stories about Bobba Fett and Han Solo is the rumor as of late. But Abrams will be only directing the Star Wars installments.

http://www.inquisitr.com/1312499/bo...temuera-morrison-in-2016-star-wars-7-spinoff/

Dave, that could possibly be one of the smartest cinematic and financial moves ever to be made. Boba Fett is unbelievably popular and has been since the first time he walked on scene in the originals. The Jango Fett angle to the prequel stories was one of their very best features. A series of even short films, ~ 1 hour , done like a serial and offered as a $2-3 add on to the main movies wold be wildly popular. And of course there could be full on movies as well. It was always kind of intimated though never outright said that Boba Fett had a personal thing with Han Solo. Now a movie or three about a rivalry there would sell a few tickets as well. First and foremost I just don't want them to bollocks up Episode Vll.

The thing about this is J.J.Abrams is a huge fan of the Star Wars saga and knows more lore than most. When he was asked to do the films he initially turned them down because he didn't want to be the guy to ruin the franchise. He said that he would never be able to forgive himself if he did an injustice to the world of Star Wars. They gave him a ton of artistic license directing these films and Lucas had very little to do with it. These films aren't made to keep a cash cow milking, when asked he said that these are the films that people have been asking for since RoTJ. The droid riding the soccer ball scares me but I believe that it will be better than that.

If this is the case then I am much more hopeful. I have said this all along; Keep the CGI to a minimum and make it real as possible, MAKE sure the video is not too 'clean'. It does not have to be grindhouse dirty and splotchy but the film-ic look is an absolute must as far as I am concerned. Alec Guinness was completely believable as Ben Kenobi the desert dwelling hermit precisely because they did not make him too fatherly or majestic. His clothes looked like something swiped from a medieval Ramada Inn. Keep it gritty in look and detail. Sell this to all of us 50 year old Jedi wannabes. At least let us think we can join up with a spice smuggler or something similar. This is why the first films gathered such and audience. My dad was born in 1935. He despised science fiction but liked Star Wars. I asked him one time why he did. He said it was because it wasn't like science fiction. It was realistic. Trust me on this one. He grew up on the cheeseball scifi of the late forties and early fifties. He was no fan. But he watched all three SW movies with me. JJ, just get it right.

Top Bottom