What's new

New Star Wars trailer.IS OUT!

God I'm in. I couldn't stand the last 3 Lucas crap films but I'm a big fan of the original trilogy. Looking forward to this one. I was never a Star Trek fan but JJ totally knocked it out of the park with the last 2 movies. Looks great.

I said the same thing about the clones, who is that guy? Of course, Han and Luke both wore storm trooper armor(albeit, a little ill-fittingly). I do think the lightsaber looked cool. why is it implausible?
My first impression when disney bought this was that they will probably make some entertaining films. Not great, like episodes 4,5,and 6, but more enjoyable than 1,2, and 3, though I think I rank those prequels higher than most. I know, I know Jar Jar Binks, and both actors who played Anakin were terrible, but I liked them, and the insight they gave to the whole story, even if they lacked in certain areas. Let's face it, Mark Hammel was awful whiny, and the cheese between him, Leia and Han was stinkier than much of what comes out of France. Go disney!

I really want to like it, but I wasn't impressed with the trailer. We all know there are big improvements in cg. Heck look at transformers for instance, but give a hint of story. Storm troopers were all clones, and the first one they showed was quite different from the other movies, and the idea of thecrossguard on a lightsaber made of the same plasma as the blade is pretty far off the mark. Unfortunately for my viewing pleasure, I am way too critical of technical screwups like that. I really hope they don't completely botch this one.
Only in the beginning of the Empire were the stormtroopers still clones, a holdover from the clone armies of the Republic. Eventually they were phased out, and normal soldiers were recruited instead.

That was the simplest explanation I could possibly give, but this link should clear it right up :p

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Stormtrooper

I've finally got around to watching the trailer. Not once, not twice, but thrice!

It looks awesome from a cinematography point of view & the Falcon with that musical score = goosebumps! The X-Wings over the water was a cool effect, but it didn't knock my socks off. I liked the idea of the TIE fighters over the desert. Actually it'll be good to see some action over land rather than space. As for the new Lightsaber with the cross guard, to me it looks more like a malfunction than a planned feature.

I'm definitely excited, but that doesn't mean much. I remember being just as excited (probably more so) when the Phantom Menace trailer hit the internet. And that didn't turn out great. I still enjoy(ed) that movie, but the trailer made it look a whole lot better then it turned out to be.

As long as there isn't any excessive lens flair or shaky cam I'll be reasonably happy. :)

I'm not onboard with claymore lightsaber (though it was cool for the first 1.5 seconds until I thought about it). I think it would work better (if those projections are intended to be a guard of some type) if the side blades crossed over like an X with the main blade between it, that way another lightsaber sliding down it would get caught on 2 side blades, not the metal hub. Wouldn't look as cool, but would be way more functional.

Though maybe they got a swordmaster to think about lightsabers and develop a practical fighting technique. I just hope they get away from the whirly twirly style of the prequels, a lightsaber should be about thrusting, not just slashing.

And FWIW a black guy in stormtrooper armor doesn't mean the rest aren't still clones (though I'm pretty sure the EU [what they have kept of it] is pretty clear they are just normal human types by the OT), he could be in disguise just like Han and Luke.

The wife wants to take our son to this (he'll be three by then). Judging from the tone of the trailer, I don't think it's gonna be a cartoony fun romp. The DC superhero films are grim, the Marvel stuff is heading that way, the poor kid is gonna totally miss the geek movie renaissance!

December 2015?

proxy.php

OK, I may be going out on a limb here....

I was 12 when the original came out-saw it 13 times in the theaters. Eagerly awaited every sequel. Total fan boy,

Until the fourth came out....that just stunk. Jar Jar, etc...horrible.

Went back and saw the originals again.

They weren't so great either when you actually watch them. The original Star Wars is pretty good, but the other two, not so much.

So, the idea that Disney is going to "ruin" Star Wars is unfounded, as they were never very good to begin with.

The over arching ideas are awesome! The Force, the Empire, Stormtroopers, all that stuff is excellent. But as far as pulling that all together into a riveting storyline....Nope. Not in my opinion.

Darth Vader is Luke's Dad? OK, interesting plot twist, for sure...but.....

In the original: Leia as a love interest for Luke, and then it turns out to be his sister?!

PAGING DR FREUD, PAGING DR FREUD.....:blink:

I just hope they get away from the whirly twirly style of the prequels, a lightsaber should be about thrusting, not just slashing.

I used to fence epee in college. You would need a hand guard/bell guard to be able to use it in that kind of fashion. The technique in epee and foil assumes you have a long pointed weapon that doesn't necessarily have a very sharp or strong blade for slashing. Its derived from the rapier, or dueling sword. You could slash with a rapier, but you wouldn't do much damage. In epee and foil, you only score a touch if the button on the end of the weapon is depressed on your opponent. They both have hand guards so your opponent cannot score a touch by stabbing you in the hand.

Sabre fencing on the other hand is completely different from foil or epee. You can score a touch with any part of the blade on the opponents body. While the sport of sabre fencing is VERY different from how you would actually fight with that style weapon, I'd say that a light sabre definately resembles that fighting style over a pointed end stabbing/thrusting weapon.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Let's face it, Mark Hammel was awful whiny, and the cheese between him, Leia and Han was stinkier than much of what comes out of France. Go disney!

I watched Star Wars for the first time since 1977 back about 2004 or so, and ... man, did Mark Hamel suck at acting. I remember watching the scene where he's in Obi-wan's house for the first time, and ... Sir Alec was doing the acting for both of them. (Seriously, I was thinking "I know what Mark is supposed to be doing acting-wise, because I can see Sir Alec's acting "reacting" to the acting that Mark is supposed to be doing instead of just sitting there" ... like watching a really good actor doing the "one end of a phone call" bit.)

I was 12 when the original came out-saw it 13 times in the theaters. Eagerly awaited every sequel. Total fan boy,

Went back and saw the originals again.

They weren't so great either when you actually watch them. The original Star Wars is pretty good, but the other two, not so much.

I recently watched a "George Lucas talks about Sci-Fi" show, where he took us through the whole development of the Sci-Fi genre, including how & where it blends in with Fantasy. They totally let him soft-ball through his personal work (no "Jar-Jar ... explain!" questions) but he basically said that he made Star Wars with the intention of it being "a movie you watch once" for a fun time, like a movie version of an old "serial" adventure from decades past.

I used to fence epee in college. You would need a hand guard/bell guard to be able to use it in that kind of fashion. The technique in epee and foil assumes you have a long pointed weapon that doesn't necessarily have a very sharp or strong blade for slashing. Its derived from the rapier, or dueling sword. You could slash with a rapier, but you wouldn't do much damage. In epee and foil, you only score a touch if the button on the end of the weapon is depressed on your opponent. They both have hand guards so your opponent cannot score a touch by stabbing you in the hand.

Sabre fencing on the other hand is completely different from foil or epee. You can score a touch with any part of the blade on the opponents body. While the sport of sabre fencing is VERY different from how you would actually fight with that style weapon, I'd say that a light sabre definately resembles that fighting style over a pointed end stabbing/thrusting weapon.

Yeah, but light sabres are not just swords made of metal, but are all Force-y and stuff, so who knows what properties they have.

I watched Star Wars for the first time since 1977 back about 2004 or so, and ... man, did Mark Hamel suck at acting. I remember watching the scene where he's in Obi-wan's house for the first time, and ... Sir Alec was doing the acting for both of them. (Seriously, I was thinking "I know what Mark is supposed to be doing acting-wise, because I can see Sir Alec's acting "reacting" to the acting that Mark is supposed to be doing instead of just sitting there" ... like watching a really good actor doing the "one end of a phone call" bit.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Gents, only after I made my last post did I realise Max von Sydow will be in this movie. Well it looks like I got my wish for a classically trained heavyweight to be included in the film. Who's going to bet against him being a wizened Jedi Master? Of course Luke was supposed to be the last one at the end of Return of the Jedi so who knows?

I do know that Disney has a chance to make this the dominant movie storyline for a decade if they do it right. To me that means no Ewoks, grittier film-ic look, much less dumbing down of adult violence and the consequences, no aliens that are either too cute or too svelte and sophisticated to make convincing criminals. Give me the three thugs in Mos Eisley space port any day. And finally slow down the light sabre sequences just a hair. While Yoda was truly impressive in Attack of the Clones at times you could not follow the action. Keep it a little more Tim Roth in Rob Roy and you will have some reality check back in it. Of course this is all superfluous. I am going to watch whatever they offer up anyway. They know the suckered in their audience target.

Last edited:

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I do know that Disney has a chance to make this the dominant movie storyline for a decade if they do it right. To me that means no Ewoks, ...

They can sell toys to kids and have a successful "Michael Bay Transformers" run of a few movies until we all get tired of it.

Or they can sell blu-rays to adults and have a much more durable franchise, as well as selling "high end" toys to adults.

Here is my take on the lightsaber, the hilt design is really an old design in sword making, so it stands to reason that sabers at one point could have contained hilts as well as the lore contains at least 2 examples of "hilted" sabers, these were the comics but still within the realm of possibility. Couple this with the harsh almost raw look of the beam and you could say this is a very old example of a saber, using an older unrefined crystal. There is also an idea going around that this is a new untrained dark side initiate being that part of Sith and Jedi training is the construction of your lightsaber this could be an unrefined version of what someone with no training would make, some say the cross guard is really jets for the unstable beam. Also lore states that the Sith came up with a way to create an artificial crystal using the force that was more powerful but more unrefined and dangerous so this could be that as well. As you can tell I'm super excited about this movie Having seen the trailer for Ep VII, several several times, I have to say that I'm very pleased at what I saw as a callback to A New Hope. The trench run scenes were based off of a movie called The Dam Busters, as Lucas has admitted......seeing those Incom T-65's flying low over a lake instantly made me think of ANH and the Dam Busters. In short, I WANT THIS MOVIE NOW! Also, no lens flares, YES.

They can sell toys to kids and have a successful "Michael Bay Transformers" run of a few movies until we all get tired of it.

Or they can sell blu-rays to adults and have a much more durable franchise, as well as selling "high end" toys to adults.

I really, REALLY hope this is the route they go but we are talking about Disney here...

Here is my take on the lightsaber, the hilt design is really an old design in sword making, so it stands to reason that sabers at one point could have contained hilts as well as the lore contains at least 2 examples of "hilted" sabers, these were the comics but still within the realm of possibility. Couple this with the harsh almost raw look of the beam and you could say this is a very old example of a saber, using an older unrefined crystal. There is also an idea going around that this is a new untrained dark side initiate being that part of Sith and Jedi training is the construction of your lightsaber this could be an unrefined version of what someone with no training would make, some say the cross guard is really jets for the unstable beam. Also lore states that the Sith came up with a way to create an artificial crystal using the force that was more powerful but more unrefined and dangerous so this could be that as well. As you can tell I'm super excited about this movie Having seen the trailer for Ep VII, several several times, I have to say that I'm very pleased at what I saw as a callback to A New Hope. The trench run scenes were based off of a movie called The Dam Busters, as Lucas has admitted......seeing those Incom T-65's flying low over a lake instantly made me think of ANH and the Dam Busters. In short, I WANT THIS MOVIE NOW! Also, no lens flares, YES.

I saw it too but you never know when you are seeing something you want to be there whether it is or not. So I am glad I am not the only one! The images of the pilot in the X Wing spoke a lot to me about the imagery. I hope, really hope this is going to be a more adult version of the stories. Give me Han blasting Greedo first and asking questions later rather than a two headed dingle berry sports announcer making fourth grade level jokes to keep the attention of middle school students. I am not being get-off-my-lawn grumpy, I just want...well, what I want!

I really, REALLY hope this is the route they go but we are talking about Disney here...

I saw it too but you never know when you are seeing something you want to be there whether it is or not. So I am glad I am not the only one! The images of the pilot in the X Wing spoke a lot to me about the imagery. I hope, really hope this is going to be a more adult version of the stories. Give me Han blasting Greedo first and asking questions later rather than a two headed dingle berry sports announcer making fourth grade level jokes to keep the attention of middle school students. I am not being get-off-my-lawn grumpy, I just want...well, what I want!

The thing about this is J.J.Abrams is a huge fan of the Star Wars saga and knows more lore than most. When he was asked to do the films he initially turned them down because he didn't want to be the guy to ruin the franchise. He said that he would never be able to forgive himself if he did an injustice to the world of Star Wars. They gave him a ton of artistic license directing these films and Lucas had very little to do with it. These films aren't made to keep a cash cow milking, when asked he said that these are the films that people have been asking for since RoTJ. The droid riding the soccer ball scares me but I believe that it will be better than that.

Gents, only after I made my last post did I realise Max von Sydow will be in this movie. Well it looks like I got my wish for a classically trained heavyweight to be included in the film. Who's going to bet against him being a wizened Jedi Master? Of course Luke was supposed to be the last one at the end of Return of the Jedi so who knows?

I do know that Disney has a chance to make this the dominant movie storyline for a decade if they do it right. To me that means no Ewoks, grittier film-ic look, much less dumbing down of adult violence and the consequences, no aliens that are either too cute or too svelte and sophisticated to make convincing criminals. Give me the three thugs in Mos Eisley space port any day. And finally slow down the light sabre sequences just a hair. While Yoda was truly impressive in Attack of the Clones at times you could not follow the action. Keep it a little more Tim Roth in Rob Roy and you will have some reality check back in it. Of course this is all superfluous. I am going to watch whatever they offer up anyway. They know the suckered in their audience target.

From what I understand Disney is going to be making other Star Wars films in between episodes 6, 7 and 8. The subject are these films are going to focus on particular characters in the Star Wars universe. Origin stories about Bobba Fett and Han Solo is the rumor as of late. But Abrams will be only directing the Star Wars installments.

http://www.inquisitr.com/1312499/bo...temuera-morrison-in-2016-star-wars-7-spinoff/

Last edited:
I've heard that Disney is trying to cash in on the Frozen craze, and the next three Star Wars movies will have the main characters breaking into musical interludes at opportune moments...

Luke:
"For the first time in forever
I hope my acting won't be so bad...
For the first time in forever
I won't turn to the dark side like my dad..."

You get the idea.

Except of course it will be much worse with singing ewoks.

Much, much worse

Top Bottom