What's new

New Pilot VP - nice!

Well friends, my Pilot Vanishing Point medium nib arrived today. So far, I am quite impressed. When I saw the size of the nib, I was a bit concerned, but I should not have been. The pen writes a little slimmer than my Cross Townsend medium, which is perfect for me. I'm having fun playing around with it. I look forward to carrying it.

I meant to order the blue and rhodium but accidentally clicked on blue carbonesque and rhodium. Anyone have any experience with both versions? I am a fan of all things blue and the carbonesque seems to be more of a black/blue than a true blue. I'm thinking about exchanging it. Is there any difference other than the barrel color? Thanks!

Also - where does one obtain the pen/ink "test" sheet that I see some people using?

Hey Bubbles,

Congratulations on buying a fantastic pen, people seem to be picking them up a lot at the moment. I have a satin black one with a fine nib and I love it! It is great for quick note taking or writing a nice letter, the single handed operation is great. The only negative I can say is that it does not hold much ink and some people get annoyed with the clip position.

There is nothing different between the two pens accept looks, so it really just comes down to what you want. If you are not happy with what you have then return it, I hope you can exchange it if you decide to because you are the person that bought the wrong thing and the company may just say too bad but I doubt it most pen places are pretty good like that.

I know the "test" sheet you are looking for but all I could find is THIS maybe that is what you want. I find it is much easier to copy my own rather than printing this out as then you can test on what ever kind of paper you choose. Or I guess you could just scale it to what ever size paper you want and print directly onto that...but I never though of that before :thumbup::blink:

Thank you! That is what I was looking for I may play around with printing it on some decent paper.

The blue carbonesque may may be growing on me. I have the opportunity to exchange for free but I'm going to think on it over the weekend.

Great pen but.....

proxy.php

Congrats on the new pen!! :thumbsup:

The VP has one of the best nibs I have ever tried.

I agree with everyone, needs pics! :biggrin1: :a28:

I'd say keep the carbonesque. I have one in black carbonesque and used to have one in yellow lacquer (both with rhodium trim). The carbonesque has a warmer, more tactile feel. The lacquer versions are nice but cold, and more difficult to hold onto. The carbonesque is sort of a rubbery (?) material.

Congrats and enjoy the new pen!

-Andy

I'd say keep the carbonesque. I have one in black carbonesque and used to have one in yellow lacquer (both with rhodium trim). The carbonesque has a warmer, more tactile feel. The lacquer versions are nice but cold, and more difficult to hold onto. The carbonesque is sort of a rubbery (?) material.

Congrats and enjoy the new pen!

-Andy

thank you. Good info. I am leaning towards keeping it. I was wondering if the straight lacquer might be more "slippery."

I have a matte black. It gets a lot of use!
Enjoy it! There are great pens if you can stand the clip being where it is.

+1 on the matte black. It can take a beating too! SWMBO washed it and destroyed the nib...pen came out fine (minor scratches) and a replacement nib later and it's still my daily pen!

Fortunately the clip falls exactly between my thumb and forefinger so it has not been any problem. I am very pleased at how smooth a writer it is.

Attachments

• $DSC_0714.jpg
    $DSC_0714.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 84
  • $DSC_0710.jpg
    $DSC_0710.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 84
The pen looks sharp! I've had mine for about a month, bought the gun metal gray with matte black trim in "F". Bought with intent to use at work and for that it is perfect, very convenient to use, the nib is a good width for margin notes, and for the short note taking the clip does not bother me (and I have an unorthodox grip). I find I like to refill the cartridge rather than use the CON-50. The capacity is better and I can check the ink level since the cartridge extends out past the nib assembly - just take the cover off, flip the pen upside down, and check the ink.

Enjoy, that carbonesque looks really good!

The pen looks sharp! I've had mine for about a month, bought the gun metal gray with matte black trim in "F". Bought with intent to use at work and for that it is perfect, very convenient to use, the nib is a good width for margin notes, and for the short note taking the clip does not bother me (and I have an unorthodox grip). I find I like to refill the cartridge rather than use the CON-50. The capacity is better and I can check the ink level since the cartridge extends out past the nib assembly - just take the cover off, flip the pen upside down, and check the ink.

Enjoy, that carbonesque looks really good!

If I ever get another VP...that gun metal one is the one I want!

Top Bottom