Here goes:

1. Sodium Palmate
2. Potassium Stearate
3. Sodium Cocoate
4. Sodium Stearate
5. Aqua
6. Potassium Cocoate
7. Glycerin
8. Parfum (the reason why i buy this soap)
9.Tetrasodium EDTA
10. Sodium Chloride
11. Alpha-isomethyl Ionone
12. Linalool
13. Citronellol
14. Coumarin
15. Bisabolol
16. Tocopheryl acetate
17. Oakmoss extract
18. Amyl Cinnamal
19. Tetrasodium etidronate
20. Geranol
21. Eugenol
22. Limonene
23. Benzyl benzoate
24. Titianium dioxide
25. Chromium hydroxide green
26. Cl 19140, Cl 77492, Cl 77007

Phew, long list eh. Looks like this is the only soap in my stash with such a long list. Damn, wish i had a digital cam

Thanks for posting that. A sad day indeed.

Stearic acid (first syllable pronounced either steer or stair) or 18:0 is a saturated fatty acid. It is a waxy solid, and its chemical formula is C18H36O2, or CH3(CH2)16COOH. Its name comes from the Greek word stéar (genitive: stéatos), which means tallow. The salts and esters of stearic acid are called stearates.

We're starting in on the crazy talk, gentlemen.....

Jim said:
Thanks for posting that. A sad day indeed.

It seems if there is any good news on this sad day, it would be what The Baron mentioned: The Truefitt and Hill store in Chicago has NOS Penhaligon's English Fern! :w00t: Get 'em while you can.

Well, I prefer Dr Harris, but that's just my opinion. Plus it is much better value for money. :001_tt1:

(Don't wanna get lynched by the EF fans around here):001_tongu

Too late. J/k. Seriously my favorite soap is EF (old formulation haven't tried the new one) and close to it IMO is MWF soap as far as cushioning.

They are full of crap! I personally am done with Penhaligon's. Just for starters they carry Badger hair brushes and leather goods.....they eliminated tallow to maximize profit! It now costs them less to make soap.

Later,
R

I know it's very easy get the lynch mob out when a new formulation appears, especially when the old formula was so much loved but tallow is not an absolute necessity for a great soap it just so happens that many great soaps did have tallow in them. Lets see what the actual verdict is from those that have actually tried this new formulation.

As Superbleu says a large component of stearic acid is actually made from beef tallow so I would not dismiss this soap completely.

Last edited:
I read that ingredients list and I had to pause for a moment of silence (...with a lump in my throat)! A sad day in B&B land, for sure.:sad:

I know it's very easy get the lynch mob out when a new formulation appears, especially when the old formula was so much loved but tallow is not an absolute necessity for a great soap it just so happens that many great soaps did have tallow in them. Lets see what the actual verdict is from those that have actually tried this new formulation.

As Superbleu says a large component of stearic acid is actually made from beef tallow so I would not dismiss this soap completely.

Stearic acid is derived from tallow, but I don't believe it's a substitute for tallow. I'm no expert, though. It's possible the new Pen's is perfectly acceptable, but I personally doubt it will be as good as the old versions. I'm also done buying Pens products, especially since they sell badger brushes and leather goods, as mentioned by riooso. I have no problem with badger brushes or leather. I just don't buy Pen's dropping tallow for ethical reasons. I also just can't justify their prices.

-Andy

Last edited:
I too hope the new formulation is a good soap but for me I have not found a soap that is on par with Penns EF. Creams are a different matter it seems it is easier to get a good cream that works well but they are so dang expensive.

R

It seems if there is any good news on this sad day, it would be what The Baron mentioned: The Truefitt and Hill store in Chicago has NOS Penhaligon's English Fern! :w00t: Get 'em while you can.

I just got back from the T&H store and picked some up... They have 6 left (bowl only), which all are tallow first. I asked a different person when they arrived (from my earlier visit who said they came in last week), which they corrected the other person and said they have been there for just over a month.

This store offers over the phone sales and shipping (no sales tax if outside Illinois) so all you would pay is shipping.

Did they eliminate tallow in their bath soaps as well?

I checked this too... Sodium Tallowate is the 1st ingredient from what I could see they had in stock.

They also have both English Fern and Blenheim Bouquet soaps in stock at The English Shaving Company. $50 in a bowl, + shipping. I'm waiting for some other, more eager, shavers to let me know how they perform before I get on board with them. I guess if anyone can provide some advice now that would be welcome as well. I use a few varieties of Trumper's (Limes, Rose, and Sandalwood) as well as Cade, and MWF. Is the Penhaligon stuff really better enough to justify the extra cost? I have no problem paying for quality, but paying for a name is never something I've been interested in doing.

I can't speak on the quality of the reformulated soaps, but the tallow English Fern I have is an excellent soap, with an intoxicating aroma. I spent $65 on it, and I have no regrets.

I just got back from the T&H store and picked some up... They have 6 left (bowl only), which all are tallow first. I asked a different person when they arrived (from my earlier visit who said they came in last week), which they corrected the other person and said they have been there for just over a month.

This store offers over the phone sales and shipping (no sales tax if outside Illinois) so all you would pay is shipping.

I checked this too... Sodium Tallowate is the 1st ingredient from what I could see they had in stock.

There are no more bowls left. I just bought the last 5.

There are no more bowls left. I just bought the last 5.

HAHAHAHA!!!! I think the girl there thought I was nuts when I said this might be the last place on earth that sells the "with tallow" formulation. I'll bet she didn't expect someone to pick up the last 5 in one shot.

How was the shipping? Paying in person dings me with the lovely Mich Ave./Chicago sales tax of 10.25%!!!

Congrats...

HAHAHAHA!!!! I think the girl there thought I was nuts when I said this might be the last place on earth that sells the "with tallow" formulation. I'll bet she didn't expect someone to pick up the last 5 in one shot.

How was the shipping? Paying in person dings me with the lovely Mich Ave./Chicago sales tax of 10.25%!!!

Congrats...

Shipping was $11.25 for all 5.

She laughed when I asked her to read the ingredient list. :biggrin1:

I recently pick up their Blenheim Bouquet shave cream on a recent trip to London, only because soaps were not being stocked.

The cream is top notch btw, best british cream that I've tried to date.

However, I will get the soap once I finish the tub of cream.

Top Bottom