What's new

New Penhaligons soaps here yet?

Has the Penhaligon's soap become available again, the reformulated versions that is. Better yet, has anyone tried them yet?

On a recent trip to London last month, all soaps were out of stock at Penhaligon's.

Thanks

See this thread here... I saw some locally, which just arrived a week earlier. Not sure if this is the reformulated kind or NOS old formulation as it contained tallow. Need confirmation as to what the new formulation looks like.

Pricing was $65 for the soap w bowl...

I've just came home after a trip to London and yea, the English Fern soap is available at their shop.

I happen to stay at a hotel near covent garden and imagine my surprise when i saw the shop (i wasn't looking for it).

Well, might as well get the soap right. But that would mean i'm not cheapo any more. Sigh.

As for the soap, i never used the tallow version before, so can't make comparision. The closest i can think of is Dr Harris soap, with the Arlington being slightly more cushion. Hope this helps.

Well, I prefer Dr Harris, but that's just my opinion. Plus it is much better value for money. :001_tt1:

(Don't wanna get lynched by the EF fans around here):001_tongu

I had the impression that their soaps would provide more cushion, and have a more luxiourious feeling lather :( Their cream sure does!

I've just came home after a trip to London and yea, the English Fern soap is available at their shop.

I happen to stay at a hotel near covent garden and imagine my surprise when i saw the shop (i wasn't looking for it).

Well, might as well get the soap right. But that would mean i'm not cheapo any more. Sigh.

As for the soap, i never used the tallow version before, so can't make comparision. The closest i can think of is Dr Harris soap, with the Arlington being slightly more cushion. Hope this helps.

Are you saying you purchased a new formulation Penhaligon's soap?

If so, please post the ingredients list.

The English Shaving Co. has the newly reformulated soaps in stock as well (both BB and EF) listed on through their website... I've emailed them ask what the ingredients were in the new formulation, but haven't heard back yet.

Are you saying you purchased a new formulation Penhaligon's soap?

If so, please post the ingredients list.

Here goes:

1. Sodium Palmate
2. Potassium Stearate
3. Sodium Cocoate
4. Sodium Stearate
5. Aqua
6. Potassium Cocoate
7. Glycerin
8. Parfum (the reason why i buy this soap)
9.Tetrasodium EDTA
10. Sodium Chloride
11. Alpha-isomethyl Ionone
12. Linalool
13. Citronellol
14. Coumarin
15. Bisabolol
16. Tocopheryl acetate
17. Oakmoss extract
18. Amyl Cinnamal
19. Tetrasodium etidronate
20. Geranol
21. Eugenol
22. Limonene
23. Benzyl benzoate
24. Titianium dioxide
25. Chromium hydroxide green
26. Cl 19140, Cl 77492, Cl 77007

Phew, long list eh. Looks like this is the only soap in my stash with such a long list. Damn, wish i had a digital cam

Was in Truefitt & Hill for a haircut on Friday and they had some English Fern on display, which had been out of stock on my last visit. I didn't bother to ask if it was the reformulated recipe or not, since I already was on the hook for a haircut, the barber's tip, Opus 1870 cologne, Botot toothpaste and Grafton body soap.:wink2:

I would like to try something if enough people are up for it. I would be willing to purchase the new formulation if other people would be willing to chip in and help cover the cost. We could each use the soap for a week and then pass it on. It would be a cost effective way to find out if it's worth it. I would completely understand if people were not ok with this due to the whole "used soap" thing. Thoughts?

Here goes:

1. Sodium Palmate
2. Potassium Stearate
3. Sodium Cocoate
4. Sodium Stearate

Interesting, I just got this from Penhaligon's as a repsonse to my ingredients list request email...

"Thank you for your interest in Penhaligon’s. Regarding the reformulated shaving soaps, we have decided to stop using tallow for ethical reasons. We are trying to limit the use of animal-derived ingredients in our products. We recognize that this move is unfortunate for customers who are loyal users of the tallow based soaps; however, we feel that the new vegetal based formula is equal, if not superior in quality compared to the original. Feel free to let me know if you have any further inquiries."

Last edited:
Interesting, I just got this response from Penhaligon's as a repsonse to my ingredients list request email...

"Thank you for your interest in Penhaligon’s. Regarding the reformulated shaving soaps, we have decided to stop using tallow for ethical reasons. We are trying to limit the use of animal-derived ingredients in our products. We recognize that this move is unfortunate for customers who are loyal users of the tallow based soaps; however, we feel that the new vegetal based formula is equal, if not superior in quality compared to the original. Feel free to let me know if you have any further inquiries."

They claim they're ethical and then charge you that much! :wink:

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Here goes:

1. Sodium Palmate
2. Potassium Stearate
3. Sodium Cocoate
4. Sodium Stearate
5. Aqua
6. Potassium Cocoate
7. Glycerin
8. Parfum (the reason why i buy this soap)
9.Tetrasodium EDTA
10. Sodium Chloride
11. Alpha-isomethyl Ionone
12. Linalool
13. Citronellol
14. Coumarin
15. Bisabolol
16. Tocopheryl acetate
17. Oakmoss extract
18. Amyl Cinnamal
19. Tetrasodium etidronate
20. Geranol
21. Eugenol
22. Limonene
23. Benzyl benzoate
24. Titianium dioxide
25. Chromium hydroxide green
26. Cl 19140, Cl 77492, Cl 77007

Phew, long list eh. Looks like this is the only soap in my stash with such a long list. Damn, wish i had a digital cam

so ... "stearate" ... that's made from steers, right? ... right? ... please?? :crying:

They claim they're ethical and then charge you that much! :wink:

I think it's interesting that regardless of how few products under their brand include animal derived products, its an "all or nothing" kind of thing. Touting your whole line as animal free is probably worth more in terms of public optics than having a few products with an animal by product from the meat processing industry.

Top Bottom