What's new

New Honing on a DMT 8000

I know this off thread but ...... Jay, I am speechless! :a39:

Seriously the only reason that I have bought this many is because I could not go somewhere and look at razors. I have recently bought a 6/8 Dovo Bismark and I have found my blade size. I have a heavy beard and absolutely love the shave from this razor! I am home.:001_smile I have so many other things I want to do with my time. Hope this does not insult anyone, it is off topic. If objectionable I will remove it. I am still working with this one from Mono Lake in California taken with a Large Format 4x5 film camera. It was a quiet and peaceful place to be.

Take Care,
Richard

Absolutely beautiful picture, Richard. Thanks for posting that.

RE: DMT plates with raised areas. It's good to know some are finding that an initial knock down on the D8EE is breaking in the hone just fine. I had a DMT D8E that I bought to set razor bevels. I "finish" lapped probably 5 stones on it and tried some razors. There was an area on that hone, kind of a small cluster of raised areas that would catch the razors. I sent it back to DMT and the plant manager agreed that it was flawed. DMT was super about making things right and even sent out a personal note and a cleaning kit that was actually very cool and worked extremely well. They most certainly stand behind what they sell.

Chris L

One note on the DMT- I know that they are suppose to come broken in but mine didn't, or else I just got a bad one. When I first honed with it, my blade would actually hit pieces sticking up in the surface of the DMT, so much so that my blade would stop during a pass. I took a course stone I had and ran it accross the DMT and It worked amazingly after that honey smooth.

Same with mine, it even come with an paper stating that it is ready for use. Yes, for chisels, and planeblades, it may so be..

But for razors, they snag at the hone, but do as other have adwised, lap it, just very carefully, I just used it carefully with the norton 4k and 8k sides, just a few rounds, and no more snags.
I did not feel them with my finger, but running the razors on it, it hooked up several places, but now it is smooth.
It was exactly like that on my D8E also, but not my D8C (that was bought used)

Top Bottom