What's new

New blade discovery, ZAZA

You're bluffing! HA! HA! Well judging by the the photo the proof is in the pudding, or the bread loaf in this case! If I ever become a baker...

...i couldn't believe it when i first saw the ZAZA blades in the Pastrychef.com site..............

.........i guess it is OK to use when making your French bread....... the blades are afterall made in "France", right? :laugh:

Not surprising...these Turkish duds are a "reincarnation" of the classic Italian ZAZA razor blades...

Attachments

• $zaza.jpg
    $zaza.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 225
They are like Derby.
Not a lot of love for them here, but they work fine for me.

I like them, so far I've had 3 good shaves with 3 different razors from my 1st blade:

1) Wizamet WE-11 Adjustable
2) Windrose D-9 Chunky with thick Merkur style head
3) Rose Gold BD17 TTO

If shave #4 in my Rapira Platinum Lux "Tech style" razor goes well, Zazas will be one of my new heavy duty go to blades alongside Indian Gillette 7 O'Clock Green, German Wilkinson Sword and Bic Chrome Platinum - the only other affordable blades capable of 4 good shaves

Can anyone please post a picture of those zaza gold blades please? I saw the Italian pic, but it would be neat to see the one the OP is referencing. Thanks!
:thumbup1::thumbup1::thumbup1:

Can anyone please post a picture of those zaza gold blades please? I saw the Italian pic, but it would be neat to see the one the OP is referencing. Thanks!
:thumbup1::thumbup1::thumbup1:
The word "Gold" is just part of the brand name. The blade in my Rapira Platinum Lux razor is ready for my 4th shave tomorrow, if the 1st 3 shaves were anything to go by, it should be another good one!!
$20160506_202422.jpg
proxy.php

As a matter of fact there is no apparent gold in the blades. PolSilvers SI has no silver or Iridium. Most blades with "Platinum" in their names have no platinum. Most "Chrome" blades have only enough chrome to qualify as stainless steel, and are therefore little or no different from "Stainless", "Super Stainless", or any other hyped-up stainless.
As for the ZAZAs, I rotate them for the usual 5 to 7 shaves, or for a couple weeks in the body shaver. They last well enough for that long. I tend to notice little difference among blades. What I believe to be high performers, such as Perma-Sharp, PolSilver SI, or GSBs, may be subjectively 5 to 10 percent better if that. If I tested them blind I may notice no difference at all. Derby, Shark, ZAZA, and the like suffice well enough for everyday shaves.

The blade in my Rapira Platinum Lux razor is ready for my 4th shave tomorrow, if the 1st 3 shaves were anything to go by, it should be another good one!!
How did your 4th ZAZA shave go Adam? :001_huh:
$ZAZA-1.jpg
Through reading this thread I went mad and ordered a whole 10pack* which I'm eagerly waiting to arrive. :w00t:

* Madness for a true minimalist, that is.

How did your 4th ZAZA shave go Adam? :001_huh:
View attachment 657341
Through reading this thread I went mad and ordered a whole 10pack* which I'm eagerly waiting to arrive. :w00t:

* Madness for a true minimalist, that is.

Not bad, WTG,XTG & ATG were nice and comfortable, buffing N-S was ok, but it felt a bit dull and dragged a bit towards the end when buffing S-N. I could have probably stretched to a 5th shave, but I didn't want to push my luck.
For the price, and considering the amount of bladework, 4 good shaves is the best I'll ever expect from any blade and enough to count them among my go to blades
YMMV

Not bad, WTG,XTG & ATG were nice and comfortable, buffing N-S was ok, but it felt a bit dull and dragged a bit towards the end when buffing S-N. I could have probably stretched to a 5th shave, but I didn't want to push my luck.
For the price, and considering the amount of bladework, 4 good shaves is the best I'll ever expect from any blade and enough to count them among my go to blades
YMMV
Many thanks for your reply Adam, appreciated. :thumbup1:
Once I've received my blades and had my first ZAZA shave I'll post up my experience. :popc:

Not long after my post above, my ZAZAs arrived!

View attachment 657541
I can only say "love at first shave." :001_wub:

I know that blade feel and characteristics can vary a lot between the first and subsequent shaves. But in my (limited) experience, whenever a blade has been "just right" on the first shave, it's been a keeper.

The blades I've trialled, in chronological order, since (re)starting DE shaving on October 29, 2015 have been:

Timor: Very nice. A keeper but kinda expensive.
Gillette 7 O'Clock Sharp Edge (yellow): Not very nice in comparison to the Timor.
Feather: As sharp as the Timor but not as glide pleasant.
Polsilver Super Iridium: Initially as sharp and smooth as the Timor, but that died off pretty quickly.
Gillette 7 O'Clock Permasharp Stainless (green): OK
Personna Red: Fabulous! Seemed even sharper and smoother on shave 5. A definite keeper.
SuperMax Blue Diamond: Sharpish but a bit rough (scratchy). 8 shaves all much the same. An OK blade, but not for me.
Shark Super Stainless: Felt blunt and rough, didn't like it. Put aside after first shave for a revisit later.
Graham-Field (TBFH): Just managed ½ of one pass. It certainly lives up to its name as The Blade From Hell.
ZAZA: A lovely first shave.

To date Personna Reds have been my benchmark blade. My record of comfortable shaves on a Red so far is 31.

Assuming the ZAZA continues as it started out I'd put it beside my Personna Reds and Timors as my top three blades.

APOLOGIES:
I'm sorry if the above comes into to the "too much information" category. But I'm sure you know what it's like when a hobby really grabs you... you just can't stop darned talking about it!

Not long after my post above, my ZAZAs arrived!

View attachment 657541
I can only say "love at first shave." :001_wub:

I know that blade feel and characteristics can vary a lot between the first and subsequent shaves. But in my (limited) experience, whenever a blade has been "just right" on the first shave, it's been a keeper.

The blades I've trialled, in chronological order, since (re)starting DE shaving on October 29, 2015 have been:

Timor: Very nice. A keeper but kinda expensive.
Gillette 7 O'Clock Sharp Edge (yellow): Not very nice in comparison to the Timor.
Feather: As sharp as the Timor but not as glide pleasant.
Polsilver Super Iridium: Initially as sharp and smooth as the Timor, but that died off pretty quickly.
Gillette 7 O'Clock Permasharp Stainless (green): OK
Personna Red: Fabulous! Seemed even sharper and smoother on shave 5. A definite keeper.
SuperMax Blue Diamond: Sharpish but a bit rough (scratchy). 8 shaves all much the same. An OK blade, but not for me.
Shark Super Stainless: Felt blunt and rough, didn't like it. Put aside after first shave for a revisit later.
Graham-Field (TBFH): Just managed ½ of one pass. It certainly lives up to its name as The Blade From Hell.
ZAZA: A lovely first shave.

To date Personna Reds have been my benchmark blade. My record of comfortable shaves on a Red so far is 31.

Assuming the ZAZA continues as it started out I'd put it beside my Personna Reds and Timors as my top three blades.

APOLOGIES:
I'm sorry if the above comes into to the "too much information" category. But I'm sure you know what it's like when a hobby really grabs you... you just can't stop darned talking about it!

Wow - that was a lightning fast delivery time !!
In a way it's a pity Zaza blades aren't better known because IMHO they're better than Feather, PermaSharp Stainless and a lot of the more popular blades, if the eBayers in Turkey had a sudden surge of orders from overseas, they would probably sell them at crazy prices alongside Wilkinson Sword, Bic, Shark, Derby and Rapira Super Stainless

Any of you guys able to compare these Zara's with Astras???

Astra Superior Platinum are in my rotation
I like them, and I've never had a bad shave from them, but I can only get 3 good shaves out of them because they get a bit scratchy after the 3rd pass.
I've only used Astra Stainless as part of a sampler pack, but liked them
Having said that, I can only get 3 good shaves out of most of my regular blades

My 1st shave with a Zaza blade felt smoother on the 1st pass than an Astra. I got a very small weeper on my chin, but that can happen occasionally at the best of times.
It was also my 1st BBS shave for as long as I can remember
It performed consistently well for 4 shaves up until the final pass, then it dragged a bit. I could have probably got a 5th shave, but didn't want to push my luck.

I've got a dark beard with the texture of wire, so to get a smooth shave, I need to do WTG,XTG,ATG followed by buffing N-S & S-N everywhere below the jawline, which is a lot of work for any blade

Overall, so far I like the Zaza better, mainly because there are very few blades that I can get 4 good shaves out of, but there's probably a bit of the "kid with a new toy" feeling as well

IMHO, if you like Astra, you'll probably like Zaza
YMMV

OK here is the verdict on the ZAZA. In short it was terrible! A terrible blade. A terrible shave. I prepped very well as usual. First pass WTG was only ok and it was evident that this blade was not very sharp. Second pass XTG was pretty awful with the blade shimmying like hell. No nicks or cuts I must add but it felt as if it was hopping over the stubble. Third pass ATG was so poor that after a few seconds it became evident that the ZAZA was gonna bust my balls! I had to change it out, no option. I stuck back in a green Astra that I was about to dispose of because it had given 4 great shaves. The well used astra completed the ATG pass with flying colours! Imagine that! The ZAZA may have been a dud but I'm not gonna endure that kind of shave again to find out! That's the ZAZA for you. The packaging looks great but maybe all the glitters isn't gold!!! I'm glad I didn't impulse buy and order a 100 of the suckers! Thanks to the Astra for saving the day!!

SORRY! Thanks for sharing! Interesting package, but do not think these are for me.

OK here is the verdict on the ZAZA. In short it was terrible! A terrible blade. A terrible shave. I prepped very well as usual. First pass WTG was only ok and it was evident that this blade was not very sharp. Second pass XTG was pretty awful with the blade shimmying like hell. No nicks or cuts I must add but it felt as if it was hopping over the stubble. Third pass ATG was so poor that after a few seconds it became evident that the ZAZA was gonna bust my balls! I had to change it out, no option. I stuck back in a green Astra that I was about to dispose of because it had given 4 great shaves. The well used astra completed the ATG pass with flying colours! Imagine that! The ZAZA may have been a dud but I'm not gonna endure that kind of shave again to find out! That's the ZAZA for you. The packaging looks great but maybe all the glitters isn't gold!!! I'm glad I didn't impulse buy and order a 100 of the suckers! Thanks to the Astra for saving the day!!
Alejandro1969 posted the above four years ago. And perhaps he did get a dud.
I'm currently two shaves in and it's a love story so far. :001_wub:

SORRY! Thanks for sharing! Interesting package, but do not think these are for me.
If you like Personna Reds I'm betting you'll like ZAZAs.:wink2:

Well, ZAZA's done it to me. :w00t:

I always thought my maximum blade purchase would be 10 (i.e. one 10pack or two 5packs) of any blade. Today, after my 3rd shave with the wonderful ZAZA... I purchased 100!

My minimalist self is screaming "Morpheus, you have found The One." :001_wub:

$ZAZA-4.jpg

My current record of comfortable shaves with my previous love, the Personna Red, is 31... and I usually average one shave every two days (two per day if I want to be really smart or up to once every four days when in stubble/mini-beard/hobo mood). If the ZAZAs last as long as the Personna Reds (bearing in mind that I'm getting longer blade life as my technique improves), that 100 should last me at least 17 years!

That 100 cost me £8 GBP ($11.50 USD) including shipping from a Turkish eBayer (and that was his last 100 pack).

Top Bottom