What's new

New Bay Rum Review: Rum Cay Bay Robusto

Tried this today for the first time, and my impressions are pretty simple. I could definitely smell bay, cinnamon, light clove and fresh cigar tobacco. The aroma to me is very similar to my favorite Bay Rum, Pinaud VIBR, although with the tobacco note involved, it reminds me a bit of Pinaud Special Reserve. Those of you who know my tastes know that this is a high compliment, as I LOVE Pinaud! There is also a touch of elegance to this one, sort of an intangible that makes me feel like James Bond. In this one I have found a very upscale, high end twist to the simple Bay Rum. Absolutely wonderful stuff that I would buy in a heartbeat. Thanks Moneysuckle, for a wonderful creation and for allowing me to try it. Cheers!

Just received my sample today and will be using it in the next few days...Initial sniff and spray on my wrist, I smell the spice, some sort of sweet notes and tobacco in the background. Definitely quite a different smelling BR....will report back in a few days with my reviews. Thanks Moneysuckle for the opportunity to test your A/S.

Today was the day that I used the Rum Cay Bay ROBUSTO...I must say that I was impressed with the face feel (definitely some glycerin in the mix) after my shave, nice soothing sting and as wonderful scent. I certainly smell the spices assumably cinnamon and of course some of the tobacco. It kind of reminds me of aromatic pipe tobacco being that it is somewhat sweet, at least to my nose. The A/S is quite soothing and was applied without my usual witch hazel before an of my a/s splashes. Scent last for a couple of hours and my face felt nice and smooth. Thanks again Moneysuckle for allowing me to try this aftershave out and certainly seems like a winner.

Thanks Moneysuckle for the sample. I have used it for three straight days straight now on my face after shaving (like an AS) and on my neck (like an EdT).

I have used Dominica, Dominica Lime, Pinaud Special Reserve (not a bay rum but mentioned above), Pinaud Virgin Island Bay Rum, Captain's Choice, and now Rum Cay Bay Robusto.

I must say that the Robusto has a unique scent. I'm not a frag-head so I don't know if I have the right words to describe it. The bay rum is definitely "there" and comes through very clearly. The other note, equally if not more strong, is the tobacco. It makes this concoction unique. It is definitely not lime or cinnamon or clove. I also get a "bright" note kind of like green apple?

The scent is not particularly long lasting on me. An hour or so and it subsided to a very low level of projection and sillage.

The feeling on the skin is good on application, and stays good when it dries. No sting - but I rarely get sting from any alcohol-based AS.

Thanks once again Moneysuckle. I appreciate the opportunity to try your creation and i wish you the best of luck with it.

Just returned from a camping trip with the family, and the Robusto was waiting for me in the mailbox. I took a little sniff and it smells wonderful, SWMBO is a big fan of Bay Rum, and gave it the thumbs up! I'll give it a go over the next few days and report back. Thanks for the opportunity Moneysuckle!

Over the weekend I received a sample of Rum Cay Bay Robusto from Moneysuckle. Thanks, Parker! As promised, here are my impressions:

As an initial consideration, I claim no expertise whatsoever in evaluating aftershaves or fragrances. When true frag heads offer elaborate descriptions of notes and such, I’m pretty much lost. :001_huh: However, I do know what I like and don’t like, so that’s what I’ll attempt to describe here.

My first use of Rum Cay Bay Robusto was after this morning’s shave. I applied it liberally to my face and neck, as its scent is light and by no means overpowering. I experienced a mild—and very fleeting— burn, which was nice (for me, Captain’s Choice Cat o’ Nine Tails comes close to being over the top in the burn factor, but I like that on occasion). It felt good feel on freshly shaved skin; I’m guessing that it contains a bit of glycerin to produce that effect. I like my aftershaves to be refreshing and leave my face feeling good, and Rum Cay Bay Robusto did not disappoint in either department.

As for the fragrance, it has a clean and light scent to me. It’s not as spicy as most bay rums I’ve tried— for me, there is just enough bay leaf to identify it as a bay rum, but the bay rum scent seems to reside behind the light, mild tobacco scent, which is sweet, but not in a bad way. I also noticed a clean, soapy scent as it dried down. An hour or so later, the scent had faded to just a trace.
In my opinion, Rum Cay Bay Robusto is a very good aftershave. It’s a nice alternative to the other bay rums I’ve tried. If you decide to produce it commercially, Palmer, I’ll buy a bottle. :thumbup1:

Last edited:
Received my sample yesterday. I was so anxious to try it I almost shaved last night! But after considerable struggle I restrained myself.

For my shave today I used my Dubl Duck Satinedge, with lather provided by TOBS sandlewood.

I applied a generous amount and massaged it in. Almost no burn. As has been noted previously, there is just enough bay scent to classify it as a bay rum. It quickly faded into the background leaving a pipe tobacco scent. Now, an hour later, the bay is making a reappearance with the tobacco in the background.

It left my face feeling refreshed, clean. Not oily as some AS's do.

I'm not the best reviewer, I'll just say thanks for allowing me to try it, if you decide to produce some to sell, please let me know.

Love the scent, love the feel, only negative I found was its short life. Overall - 8 out of 10

Last edited:
I got my sample last week, and after using it twice wanted to echo the comments of others. It has a nice clean feel, with a slight "snap" initially. The main scent I get is the tobacco, then the bay. It seems to last a few hours, and occasionally after that there is a whiff of the tobacco. I would also buy some if available and would say a slightly longer lasting scent would be good too.

Thanks Moneysuckle for the trial! :)

I guess the ongoing theme for those who have tried it is: When/where can we get more Moneysuckle? I'd definitely like to get some more. I wore some today and looked at my 60% empty container thinking this same thing.

Any chance for some more of this great scent?

I've used my sample over the past two weeks. Between bay rums and TFS's Tabacco Verde soap, I am hard pressed to choose which is my favorite scent so this Robusto is my dream come true. I moved a spare puck of TFS soap to my desk drawer so I can alternately sniff the puck and the Robusto. I like that the bay rum is not as heavy as in other aftershaves to let the tabacco flower scent come through. I prefer the tone of the scent of the tabacco on the TFS puck however. The TFS is less "sweet", I suppose, is the term that I'm seeing used here. I don't know how one gets the tonality of a scent, if the "deeper" TFS scent is due to the addition of something else, but I would be in for a gallon of Robusto if that could be achieved. Otherwise, just put me down for a quart to start. I like that the scent is longer lasting than my other aftershaves, but is not overbearing in strength. It is nice to have a little sumthin' hanging in the air to start the day. Skin feel after application is great.

I've given the Robusto a three day run and pleased to submit the following review. I'll use the B&B review format from the Aftershave reviews...

PROS: Subtle Bay Rum / Flora scent with plenty of skin goodies
CONS: Not widely available (yet?)

Price: 10 - Can't argue with free! :)
Quality: 10
Fights Razor Burn: 10
Cooling Sensation: 5 - Hey it's Bay Rum, if we wanted cooling we would grab the Skin Bracer
Scent: 8
Efficacy: 8.7 - Do the math, you'll figure out how I got the .7
Moisturizing: 10
No Alcohol Burn: 8

Upon spraying some of the Robusto into my hands the Bay Rum undertones were present, but upon application the aroma of a freshly open cigar could be detected. NICE! Dry down gave up a nice floral scent that others have mentioned, which lasted a couple of hours on me. On the first day it was used I got caught in a sun shower while walking between buildings at work. The little bit of rain that actually struck my face seemed to 'recharge' the Robusto, leaving a faint scent to enjoy the rest of the day, BONUS! Longevity was reasonable, and longer than most Bay Rums.

Razor Burn and Moisturizing are judged a 10 due to the glycerin (which I'm not normally a fan of) that I believe to present in the mix. Initially my face was shiny, but within minutes the glycerin was absorbed and left my face smooth and not tacky. I experienced no alcohol burn, which I attribute to the glycerin as well (Lord knows my technique can always be improved).

I would recommend to others to try...and would purchase a bottle to place in my rotation if made available.

Moneysuckle, thanks for providing me an excellent way to finish off my shaves and press forward into my workdays this week. Additionally many thanks for the opportunity you have provided to myself and the others in our little community to try out your well made aftershave.

Last edited:
A sad sad day at my house this morning. I had my morning shower, stropped the Dubl Duck, removed all the stubble, reached for my sample from Moneysuckle, and it was gone.:ohmy: Not gone as in someone had taken it, but gone as in I used it all. :crying::crying: I shook it, dropped it, prayed over it, but finally had to admit that even though I had left it with the other Bay Rums, it had not reproduced!!! Now we know Moneysuckle's real reason, he was an enabler, much like a crack dealer, giving us that first try, now telling us that there isn't any more, but he MIGHT be able to get some. It'll be expensive though, because it's so rare. :euro: But hey, what's money right? :innocent: As long as we get our bump we'll be ok. LOL, of course, I jest. Moneysuckle wouldn't do that. Would he? :devil::devil:

Thanks, Moneysuckle, for the extremely generous "sample"! I put the word in quotes because I received enough aftershave for 5-6 shaves..."sample" doesn't do this ample amount justice.

I've used "Rum Cay Bay Robusto" immediately after shaving three times (on two of those days I also used it later as a refresher/evening scent before going out). All three times, it followed a 2-pass shave (with a 3rd quick touch-up pass) with a Mergress XL set to 3.5 for WTG pass, then 1.5 for an XTG blade-buffing pass and subsequent touch-ups, loaded with the same Feather blade (it was brand new for the first shave). The first shave was bowl lathering with DR Harris Marlborough, the second time was face lathering with Arko, the third time was face lathering with Sir Irisch Moos. I didn't need to use alum or styptic pencil after any of the shaves, so I applied the Robusto to rinsed & patted-dry skin.

I never felt any sting when first applying Robusto. I like feeling some sting, but the lack of it is far from a dealbreaker. I was surprised at how much body this splash had, and how moisturizing it felt on my face. I'm guessing it's got some glycerin in it...it feels "rich", in a "fancy", "luxurious" way, as opposed to the way some aftershaves feel "cheap", "thin", "light". I'm not sure if I'm using the right descriptive words here, but they're what come to mind. Whatever the case, it felt very nice, and did not leave my face feeling tight or dried out the way some other aftershave splashes do. I usually follow splashes with a tiny bit of unscented CeraVe to combat this...not needed with Robusto.

My initial impression after applying was aged spiced rum, lime, and tobacco. Not tobacco smoke, not dry, loose tobacco, but the smell of placing a well-humidified, almost moist unlit cigar under one's nose and inhaling deeply. Earthy, sweet, a little bit of rich leather. Underneath that trio, star anise, vanilla, bit of clove. After 20-30 minutes, the lime faded almost completely and the tobacco faded quite a bit, leaving a very light mix of rum, vanilla, and star anise that stuck around for a couple of hours. Both the initial scent and what's left after it fades a bit are classy, mature scents. To describe it visually, the scent is like a mix of these two pics:

$long_bar_v2%5B1%5D.jpg $montecristo-lounge-page.jpg

To those who have run out, I say, "nyah nyah, I still have about 40% of my bottle left" :001_tt2: Seriously though, I like this stuff enough that I need to start rationing it. I'm thinking I might start using it exclusively as a cologne...it's light, summery, tropical, classy, and subtle. I think it goes nicely with linen shirts and drinking summer cocktails outdoors.

Executive summary: Bottle "Rum Cay Bay Robusto" and start selling it - I would buy a couple bottles from your first batch without a moment's hesitation.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Nice post Chicago. He sent me three samples. "nyah, nyah". ;) Haven't seen Parker online as of late. I hope he doesn't stay away too long now that we are hooked.

Thanks for the kind words everyone. After spending about $100 getting samples out to everyone, I've decided to keep Robusto as private stock for now. I'll let you know if and when that changes.

But as a token of my appreciation and in the spirit of master-blender OkieStubble, I would like to share the best smelling face food I have ever concocted:

1/3 Masters Bay Rum
1/3 Superior 70 Bay Rum
1/3 Lucky Tiger Face Tonic

Lucky Tiger has a nice orange scent that blends beautifully with the Bay Rum. Unlike Robusto, the scent is typical of aftershave in it's longevity.

To me, the combination has the right amount of burn. As far as face food, Lucky Tiger adds the following to the Bay Rum base:

Witch Hazel
Gylcerine
Aloe
Chamomile
Calendula
Borage Oil
Vitamin A
Vitamin E

My face drinks this stuff up after a 3-pass shave. It feels (and smells) wonderful.

Your face will feel slightly "tacky" at first. If you don't like this feeling, you might not like this concoction. But after a few minutes, the tackiness is gone and your face just feels soft.

Happy shaving!

Thanks for the "secret recipe" and thanks again for allowing us to sample your private collection. When it goes public, there will be some demand. Those that tried it really seemed to have a high approval. Please let those of us that have sampled it have first shot when you out your "Moneysuckle" label on it. It's great stuff I'm saving my last application or two for a special night out with the Mrs. Keep up the great work.

I wonder if I put a little pipe tobacco in some bay rum and let it soak if it would pick up the wonderful scent of this stuff? I'm like a crack addict, I'm hooked and trying to get my fix!

Even though he is withholding any further fix of the Robusto, the blend here that Moneysuckle offers in consolation is neat stuff.

i mixed a small batch and have been using it in the aftermath of my Saturday morning 2011 Muhle shave clinic/exfoliation/exsanguination routine. The "Tiger Rum" (looks like tiger urine, but where is Charlie Sheen when you need him?) along with some second skin, styptic, and gauze makes for a great shave. The Tiger tonic adds that little something extra. Wish it smelled like Robusto though.....

Thanks for the kind words everyone. After spending about $100 getting samples out to everyone, I've decided to keep Robusto as private stock for now. I'll let you know if and when that changes.

But as a token of my appreciation and in the spirit of master-blender OkieStubble, I would like to share the best smelling face food I have ever concocted:

1/3 Masters Bay Rum
1/3 Superior 70 Bay Rum
1/3 Lucky Tiger Face Tonic

Lucky Tiger has a nice orange scent that blends beautifully with the Bay Rum. Unlike Robusto, the scent is typical of aftershave in it's longevity.

To me, the combination has the right amount of burn. As far as face food, Lucky Tiger adds the following to the Bay Rum base:

Witch Hazel
Gylcerine
Aloe
Chamomile
Calendula
Borage Oil
Vitamin A
Vitamin E

My face drinks this stuff up after a 3-pass shave. It feels (and smells) wonderful.

Your face will feel slightly "tacky" at first. If you don't like this feeling, you might not like this concoction. But after a few minutes, the tackiness is gone and your face just feels soft.

Happy shaving!

Top Bottom