What's new

Need paper suggestions

I would like a paper that I can make greeting/thank you cards out of. My requirement would be to be able to print on one side and write on the other so that when folded in half the photo would make the front of the card, I could write on the inside and back of the card.

The reason for this is for my own use, but also to retail some of my photos as cards to help pay for my addictions (camera equipment, fountain pens, wet shaving).

Photos like this:
proxy.php

I want a paper that doesn't feather too much (I realize this is subjective to the ink I am using; currently my reference is Cross cartridge ink in a Cross Aventura which has a medium nib)

Does anyone have suggestions?

thank you,
Dave

Last edited:
I am thinking either cardstock or a nice heavy paper to reduce bleedthrough of the photo to the writing side of the card and the ink from the photo side of the card.

Dave

One of the HP 32 lb papers (laser? Might be the only 32 lb paper they make) has a really good reputation for FP writing, and of course would do fine in a printer.

Ask the Goulet's what they print their invoices on. Computer printing shows up well, as well as the hand written notes done at the bottom with fountain pens.

This is it, but 32lb might be a little too lightweight for what the OP is looking to do

+1... someone else mentioned cardstock, which is what you are going to want. That is about 100lb, which sounds really heavy, but if you feel a piece of this paper it's not as extreme as it sounds... in fact, it feels about like a greeting card, which is what you are trying to make.

Glossy photo paper. Print image to card size, cut and fold with non-glossy side in.

I know photo paper won't work unless it is only for the outside of the card (I have tried to write on photo paper and all it does is allow the ink to smear); I would have to attach to photo paper onto writing paper to use this paper.

Thank you all for the suggestions; I am wanting to have the printing done proffessionally as I want a nice scored sheet so that the card doesn't look tacky when folded. I could maybe use card stock to print these myself, but I think in the long run it would be cheaper for me to hire out the printing and leave me to the photo taking.

Dave

You might check with some photo labs and see what they offer. I know whcc.com has a greeting card option (and if you are nice, they'd probably send you a sample of the paper gratis). I've not done their cards, but their photo printing is stupendous.

You might check with some photo labs and see what they offer. I know whcc.com has a greeting card option (and if you are nice, they'd probably send you a sample of the paper gratis). I've not done their cards, but their photo printing is stupendous.

I use them alot for my photo printing, I especially love their metalic paper and stretch canvas.

Their price is around $35.00 per 25 cards with envelopes which means I would have to make my price at around $70.00 per 25 card set to cover my cost and break even on my time. I don't think many people would pay $70.00 for 25 cards even though they would pay more than that by far when they buy individual cards at Hallmark.

Dave

I use them alot for my photo printing, I especially love their metalic paper and stretch canvas.

Their price is around $35.00 per 25 cards with envelopes which means I would have to make my price at around $70.00 per 25 card set to cover my cost and break even on my time. I don't think many people would pay $70.00 for 25 cards even though they would pay more than that by far when they buy individual cards at Hallmark.

Dave

Good point. I've never actually priced the cards....

Top Bottom