What's new

Need Help

I've been wet shaving for 5 years with an R41 and feather: no problems at all.

ive seen all the videos on straight razor shaving and yet I just st can't get it. Other than cheeks and chin, any part of the face that is curved or angled is a serious problem.

I use a Feather Artist DX with the Feather disposable blades, but just can't get it.

I tend to shave with my left hand only (right hand shakes). I believe that you are supposed to switch hands, use right hand on right side of face and left hand on left side of face? Is this true? Can I use my left hand for my entire face?

should I try a regular straight razor vs a shavette?

Would a regular straight be easier than a shavette?

any advice much appreciated

thanks

Last edited:
I have been shaving with a straight razor for five months. Now it's strange - I am half left-handed but have not got the hang of using my left hand with the razor, so I use my right hand exclusively. SO I see no reason why you should not be able to shave using only your left!

C.

I read somewhere that with a straight you must stroke straight down not a "slicing" motion which often happens when you cross hands (left hand on right side of face and vice versa).

Dont know if this is true?

You need to shave with ZERO pressure, like the razor is a hovercraft wisping away lather without touching skin. You might also try the Pro-guard blades. They help prevent errant lateral movements that cause cuts. And don't forget to stretch your skin.

Antique Hoosier

“Aircooled”
It takes time. I have personally never used a shavette or disposable device so I am of no help to you there. If it were me, I would obtain a simple 5/8 hollow ground Solingen (readily available) straight and just take it slow and easy. One handed is fine. Use it every time you shave and IMO try to complete an acceptable shave without using a DE to clean up. (99% will disagree with that last statement.) Don't get frustrated, don't give up. Give yourself plenty of time to shave but don't over-think it. Watch this video... starting stopping and rewinding it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been wet shaving for 5 years with an R41 and feather: no problems at all.

I tend to shave with my left hand only (right hand shakes). I believe that you are supposed to switch hands, use right hand on right side of face and left hand on left side of face? Is this true? Can I use my left hand for my entire face?

No you don't have to switch hands, yes you can only use your right hand. I find shaving with my left & right makes the shave overall easier. But that came from practice.

should I try a regular straight razor vs a shavette?

Would a regular straight be easier than a shavette?

It is subjective. I find my 8/8 easier than the shavette.

Try short strokes. My chin was my problem, so I started at the bottom of my chin and worked my way up. Also, the first shave might not be smooth or you will miss hairs. That is why people typically do 2+ passes. Usually WTG, XTG an ATG. (I do not do ATG as it irritates my face)

Again very subjective. Personally a 5/8 or a 6/8 round is usually recommended (I started with a 6/8 half hollow). Half hollow gave me more feedback when I was about to cut myself and a wedge, well a wedge just was not forgiving at all if you are heavy handed. If you buy it, then it will need to be sharpened, as most places do not sell a shave ready razor (even tho it will be advertised as such). You will need to find a way to hone it (Hand honing, newspaper, leather etc etc). My advice, stick with the shavette since you already have it. Work on your technique. Properly hydrate your face, work on your lather consistency and short strokes then it will come. As long as you are using good blades learn from there. Also, try different blades. Feather has a reputation of having really sharp blades. Sometimes people get the idea that a really sharp blade will give you a really good shave and that isn't true. If it was, more people would be using the Shapton 30k or Suehiro 20k as opposed to a coticule.

If you are dead set on getting a SR, 5/8 or 6/8 half hollow would be my recommendation.

Last edited:
Top Bottom