What's new

Need help, spilled ink on wooden desk!

Hey gents.

I'm back in my room in student housing, which I had sublet this Summer. I come back to find my $100 lamp broken, and ink spilled on my wooden desk. I'm getting money back for the lamp, but I want to try to wash the ink away before taking any more measures.

How do I go about this?

The ink is a bit darker than in the pictures, because of the flash.
proxy.php

proxy.php

that wood looks like its got some kind of a protective finish on it. not all inks are permanent. Just try some dish soap and a sponge. if that doesn't work get some orange degreaser.

Hair Spray was (in decades passed) used for its alcohol content, so why not go straight to the source and get some rubbing alcohol?

rubbing alcohol will probably melt the finish.
before you try that, get a mr clean magic eraser.
seriously, its gotten scratches off my CAR.
and not little scratches....I hit a freakin concrete pole.

strop

Now half as wise
Unless that is an antique desk with a shellac finish, rubbing alcohol shouldn't affect the finish. The modern catalyzed lacquer finishes are very durable. The problem is going to be getting it out of the grain recesses.

Mark

You might also try a lanolin-based hand lotion. Amodex stain remover is largely lanolin and gets ink out of hands and clothes pretty well (some inks better than others, of course.)

strop

Now half as wise
I'm not optimistic anything is going to get it out of the recessed grain. There are some wood finishing techniques that rely on this for special effects. One color or shade is applied and then sanded off, leaving only the remaining stain down in the pores. You may end up needing to refinish the entire top. Sorry.

Mark

Guys, guys, I appreciate the answers, but I'm in Norway. Guess I'll try the alcohol now.

I'm fairly certain that you can buy household cleaners in Norway (at least, I don't recall seeing any stories about general filth and disease in Norway due to lack of proper sanitation!)

All the suggestions you're getting are for specific brands sold in the US, but with a bit of googling it shouldn't be to hard to figure out what the equivalent/similar European brands are.

Top Bottom