What's new

Need a good compromise between a Feather and a Derby blade.

I was a long-time Derby fan, but quite accidentally (sort of) came into a pack of vintage Gillettes, that are by all accounts the same as Swedish Gillettes. So I thought "what the heck", and I started using the pack of G's. They were ok. I didn't think them especially better or worse than the Derbys I had been using.

Then I finished up the last of the G's, and opened up a fresh new Derby. Man, was it harsh by comparison. Keep in mind that Derbys had been my favorite, and that the G didn't seem like anything special in comparison. But when switching back to the Derby, the difference was really apparent. I just couldn't use the Derby after that. Looking back from this point, I realize that those occasional ingrowns I experienced when using the Derbys (but never attributed to the blades) had completely stopped while I had been using the G's.

So, I went through the rest of my drawer to see what other blade samples I might have laying around, no way was I going to pay Swedish G prices. I happened upon a blade review on SMF of the Dorco ST-301, and found one in my drawer, so I put it in the razor.

It was nice and smooth. I'm still working on that blade, but I was able to trade for 9 more of them, so hopefully they'll keep working nice and smooth. If you haven't yet tried them, may want to give Dorco ST-301 a shot.

Best of luck.

J

Haven't seen the Gillette 7o'clock SharpEdge (yellow wrapper) mentioned yet.

Nearly as sharp as a Feather, definitely cheaper (but not as cheap as a Derby), and smooth.

They are available from one vendor that I know of on the Northeast side of the Atlantic, and one on the U.S. side of the Atlantic.

Also consider the Treet Durasharp Classic coated carbon steel blade (Yellow wrapper). It's about as sharp as a Derby, smoother, and costs less. I get 4-5 shaves from one. Also available from the same two sources mentioned above.

+1 on the 7 O'clock SharpEdge (yellow wrapper) My favorite blade. Also like the Treet mentioned here as well as the 7'oclock Perma Sharp Stainless (green box). Be careful, there are two green box 7 O'clock blades. You want the Permasharp edition. They are much sharper and smoother shaving than the other green box marked Super Platinum.

...opened up a fresh new Derby. Man, was it harsh by comparison.

I noticed the same when I switched back from using Red Personnas. Derby is not so bad just others are better. I've read the yellow pack 7 O'clock are pretty good too. I'm hoping to score some soon. The Dorco ST-301 have caught my attention as well. Interesting coz when I started all blades seemed to be the well..the same. :eek: The noticeable differences came from switching razors. :blushing:

The more I notice these nuances the more I realize how little I really know.

I noticed the same when I switched back from using Red Personnas. Derby is not so bad just others are better. I've read the yellow pack 7 O'clock are pretty good too. I'm hoping to score some soon. The Dorco ST-301 have caught my attention as well. Interesting coz when I started all blades seemed to be the well..the same. :eek: The noticeable differences came from switching razors. :blushing:

The more I notice these nuances the more I realize how little I really know.

I have a yellow 7'o'clock that I may try. Are you suggesting the Red Personnas are smoother than Derby as well?

That definitely was not my experience with the IPs or US Personnas.

Regards.

J

My First shave was with a Red Personna and my last 2 shaves have been with the Derby Extra *first was uncorked blade* BBS but a couple of nicks.. 2nd Shave with the Derby, I corked the same blade that I used earlier and damn what a difference.. No Nicks and still bbs... I am still working on the S to N technique for my face but otherwise an awesome shave compared to the Red Personna I used that I corked!

Charlie

Get yourself 100 red pack IPs for around $10 delivered. They are awesome and sharper than Derbies while not as sharp as feathers. They are also better than the blue Israelis in my opinion.

Well I just traded some Feathers and Derbys for red Personnas (thanks OneRand :biggrin:) to give them a try, and had my first shave with one today. These things are sharp, not quite as sharp as a feather, but buttery smooth and VERY gentle. I am very satisfied judging from one shave. Not to mention, they were very gentle on my neck, yet I took as many passes with a sharp Feather (2 passes plus touch-up) and was just as close. Nice! Can't beat the price.

My First shave was with a Red Personna and my last 2 shaves have been with the Derby Extra *first was uncorked blade* BBS but a couple of nicks.. 2nd Shave with the Derby, I corked the same blade that I used earlier and damn what a difference.. No Nicks and still bbs... I am still working on the S to N technique for my face but otherwise an awesome shave compared to the Red Personna I used that I corked!

Charlie

The difference is in the coating, of which the Derby has the latest, and the Red Personna has little to none of, AFAIK.
I gave the red Personnas that came in my sample pack to a friend.

The 7o'clock yellows are coated, and smooth. The Super Iridiums that come from the same plant are about as sharp, but not coated. I could barely tolerate one after corking.

Modern coating systems are so good, that Treet can take carbon steel strip stock, and with coating, make a blade that's as sharp as a Derby, is smoother, and lasts as long as a stainless blade. That makes the difference for me.

The yellow pack Gillette 7 O'clock blades are my all time favorites. Tommorow I am going to go for a feather blade, but play it safe in a ball ended tech.

Top Bottom