What's new

Naniwa Economical 1000 and 3000 Water Stones

Anyone tried these who can weigh in on their effectiveness and qualities as compared to analogous stones? At 175mm x 55mm x 15mm, they seem like a more viable option for hand-holding than many other synths that are out there.

I have the 3k in that variety. It quickly wipes away 1k stria with very clear feedback. It feels like it is grabbing the 1k ridges aggressively until they are gone, then smooths out.

Mine is on a stand, so not too comfy to hold in hand, but I think the stone itself gets a 3k job done very well.

I also have a 3k Professional (new Chosera), and I still really like the Economy stone, for what that is worth.

Last edited:
Thought I would return to this thread, as I'm still curious. As a set, there is the 120, 1000, and 3000. I'm wondering about the viability of using the 120 as a lapping stone. First it would be lapped on 80 grit wet/dry sandpaper on glass, to refreshen it, then taken the 1000 stone, followed by the 3000. Yes, I know there are diamond plate options, but perhaps this would work "in-house"?

Ever try the suehiro 1/3 combo for smaller form factor? Even though I have a lot of options to this day when I am not into bench stones I will use that old sun tiger 1k/6k I have-I jist have to be really careful with the 6k as it has a very narrow window of hydration it is happy with before it dries on one end or goes gummy on the other.

Yes, I have the smaller Suehiro 1k/3k, 40mm x 130mm, and can get by pretty well with it, followed by a no. 6 coticule bout. Only, it's still a little on the small size. The Suehiro 1k/3k combo in general is my favorite synth combo hands down before moving to natural water-stones. I also have a 63mm wide that I cut the length down to 140mm for hand-held use. Really an awesome stone before moving to a coticule or an Inigo Jones dragon's tongue. So I am also interested in trying the Naniwa 1k/3k by way of comparison.

Top Bottom