What's new

Nancy Boy QC issues?

I've been using Nancy Boy Signature regularly for nearly 15 years, and in my last order a couple of weeks ago, the cream was too wet/thin. Has anyone experienced any change in consistency recently? Before asking here, I simply emailed Nancy Boy, and I was taken back by a surprisingly dismissive reply from Eric Roos, namely that they had no complaints, and my shaving cream must be perfect and no different from previous tubs. Never mind that I have side by side comparison, and it's more like a lotion. He said I could return the cream, but if I did I would never be allowed to buy shaving cream from them again. I was left somewhat annoyed, to say the least, at their high handedness towards a costumer of 15 years.

Wow....I haven't used it in years, as they stopped shipping to Canada many years ago.

I was always impressed with their communication, not pushy emails or sales and their products were top of the top tier. I am not impressed with how they replied to you.

It happens to creams if they get delivered on got days and left in the mail box. I had it happen to some Penhalighons (spelling) and TOBS.

I'd try leaving the lid off and drying it out a few days. That has worked for me in the past.

I'm wondering if it got too hot at some point in transit, which thinned it out. I know heat can affect some creams and soft soaps.

I've been using Nancy Boy Signature regularly for nearly 15 years, and in my last order a couple of weeks ago, the cream was too wet/thin. Has anyone experienced any change in consistency recently? Before asking here, I simply emailed Nancy Boy, and I was taken back by a surprisingly dismissive reply from Eric Roos, namely that they had no complaints, and my shaving cream must be perfect and no different from previous tubs. Never mind that I have side by side comparison, and it's more like a lotion. He said I could return the cream, but if I did I would never be allowed to buy shaving cream from them again. I was left somewhat annoyed, to say the least, at their high handedness towards a costumer of 15 years.
A blast from the past. Many years ago Nancy Boy Signature was my daily shaving cream. I ran in to this issue back then and it was temperature related. At the time Eric acknowledged that it was a wide spread problem when shipping to warmer climate states in the summer. They were considering some formulation adjustments. But again that was many years ago. I stopped using the cream in part because of this and some other QC inconsistencies. I used to travel to San Francisco quite a bit and visited their store once. Everyone was very nice and appreciated the visit, as they were early in the marketing of shaving products, at that time.

I'd try leaving the lid off and drying it out a few days. That has worked for me in the past.
Thanks, I will try this!
I stopped using the cream in part because of this and some other QC inconsistencies.
There have been times where the cream had clots in it, a some QC variations. But this batch is so wet, it feels like the end of a tub after many shaves have diluted the cream with water. I also had favorable interactions at the store multiple times. Makes me all the more puzzled.
If I were dealt with in that manner by the proprietor then I would return the item as a matter of principle and take my business elsewhere.
That is exactly my feeling, but I love their laundry detergent as well, and my wife loves their facial moisturizer. When I emailed them, I never thought for a moment that the experience would leave me offended, and no longer wanting to give them my business. I have had bad costumer service in the past, but never have I felt offended.

I used NB Signature years ago and thought it was an excellent cream. I agree with comments about hot weather shipping of creams and that could have been the problem. Having said that, if I were treated as you were, it could be the greatest cream in the world and I’d never send them my money again. I suggest you move along, there are many products that meet or exceed NBs performance. Enjoy looking for its replacement! Cheers.

Never heard of this company and their products. Reading their 'Story' section on their website, I guess 'cheaper than Corporate' comes at a price regardless. 'We make better products, we charge less but we're ruder.'

When I read 'but if I did I would...' I was expecting 'have to pay for shipping back'. Certainly not 'never be allowed to buy shaving cream from them again.'

If I were you, I would take my business elsewhere. That's not how you treat a customer; even less one of 15 years.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear of your experience. All my dealings with the company have been good and Eric has been helpful and responsive when I have had questions. I guess we all have occasional bad days, maybe that was one of his. Not making excuses-just adding a bit of perspective.

Sorry to hear of your experience. All my dealings with the company have been good and Eric has been helpful and responsive when I have had questions. I guess we all have occasional bad days, maybe that was one of his. Not making excuses-just adding a bit of perspective.
I agree... I was so favorably inclined towards Eric from meeting him way back when at the store, and I have turned at least a dozen people their creams and laundry detergent. That's why his response was particularly shocking. Maybe it was a bad day, but it doesn't change the fact that it was a puzzling response from someone who runs a business largely based on word of mouth.

Yeah, glad the drying out worked. But after your experience as a customer for over a decade, I won't be trying any of their products any time soon. There's simply too many great vendors out there who actually value their customers. Besides threatening you with never being able to buy the cream again should you have the temerity to return it. My response to them could not be printed here.

Glad it worked out. If you love their products it might be worth it to you to email them back telling them a solution was found but, you were put off by their response but are willing to continue to give them your business if they lose the attitude, or something more articulate. There’s no excuse for that treatment and it’s a bummer coming from businesses whose products you really enjoy. I don’t normally suggest the “I’m taking my business elsewhere or else!” type of approach but, if you love their products maybe it’s worth giving them a chance to redeem themselves.

I’m a bit surprised by their response as well. I used to live near their store in the Hayes Valley neighborhood of SF, which is gone now that they are online only. I was always struck by how nice they were.

I also had a friend who told them their spray deodorant didn’t work for him, and they simply refunded him. I was kind of surprised by that because it is a natural product and probably couldn’t be expected to be a fit for everyone.

Sometimes businesses tighten up on stuff like this if sales are slowing, but not usually with regular customers. Hopefully, this was just a one-off.

Top Bottom