What's new

Mystery Milord

So maybe Gillette threw together some straight knurled handles to make some Milords. Maybe for export.

Last edited:
So maybe Gillette threw together some straight knurled handles to make some Milordd
Maybe some kind of prototype for around that time period? They were experimenting with the English TTO mechanism here and doing some significant changes to the head design. It wouldn’t be odd for these random prototypes to exist and considering how Gillette was for them to see the light of day.

This one looks mint and has some red coloring under the lacquer on the handle. Seems unique and I wonder how it was placed into the stream of commerce.

Awesome, so it's not a superspeed or Rocket style TTO mechanism. One for the USA Gillette experts. Maybe it can be found in late 40s patents?

I wonder how it was placed into the stream of commerce
They often released limited number razors for market testing, could be one of those.

Congrats, it's a wonderful piece!

I circled back with the seller and asked him about provenance, and he replied:

I wish I could tell you more. It came from a family downsizing a number of years ago. I do not have contact with them any more. Perhaps it came from overseas. A lot of the families I worked for traveled and bought things as they needed them.

So calling all Gillette experts.

I’d contact backroadsgold and while I dislike their business practices sometimes they do have some information (Razor Emporium). I wouldn’t expect much in the way of info from backroadsgold however he has probably seen more razors first hand then most people.

Backroads is an excellent place. Chris re-plated my Milord American Rocket; before that he re-plated numerous other razors for me. I could ask him. I don’t know RE from a can of paint so I wound forego them. What about that guy who has all the razors Mr-razor?

Top Bottom