What's new

Mystery Milord

I obtained this cased Milord with an unusual handle, which looks like the same one on the black tip from 1951. It is pictured along with a normal Milord. How common is this variation?
image.jpg

Those ads don’t show the one I have. I refer to the razor that is in the case in my picture.
I am terribly sorry for giving incorrect information @rivieraranch, this is most unusual as I always try to assist to the best of my ability. I fear I misread your original post due to an over-hasty reading and confused the two razors pictured.

I have been searching for some time, but cannot find an equivalent to your example.

I can only assume from your picture that this is effectively a 1940's Super Speed with a gold wash. The handle is identical to standard Supers of the period 1947-54 to the advent of the Flare tips in 54'.

It does not appear in any contemporary advertisements or price lists from the period. The Milord seems to have been in production post war from 1946-53 but in no case do pictured examples match yours.

Some Gillette spare parts factory frankenrazoring, which they were known for in many razor examples, which they did not record? Is this some mismatch, or a Super which was gold washed by an owner and placed in a Milord case?

Have you weighed it? That may help to see if it matches the usual 55 gm ball park of the standard.

Rather baffling.

Last edited:
how does it look open up fully and does the knob move freely in/out when the razor is open? Also does it have a notched center bar?

Saw that ad, thought it was something else until I looked more closely. I’ve seen a lot of unusual modifications done to razors when the knob drops or has other issues however the plating looks in great shape. As we also saw recently its surprising what new models can be found.

^ This.
There's no knob crimp, so it should be a US Rocket (often found in Milord cases) but it looks broken as the doors open when fully screwed in.

There's another problem with that.
The center bar in a Super Speed shows that it is made by folding.

The Rocket's center bar, as shown at your link, is a solid piece.
The parts known as the End Caps on a Super Speed are decorative.
The corresponding parts on the Rocket are fused to the center bar and are functional.
The opening of the Super Speed is limited by center bar tabs
on the underside of the base plate.
The opening of the Rocket is limited by the screw knob.

I can imagine the guy who designed the Rocket, saying
"Just hand me the base plate from the Super Speed.
I don't need to see how it works inside ."

I will admit though, at first sight, I was thinking Rocket hybrid,
but in the final analysis, it is a razor that I am unfamiliar with.

When I was trying to land this, I bought it for the case. I did not even notice the unusual handle until it arrived. I am equally baffled by this. The case has space for a blade bank as opposed to a little blade box, meaning it is a later one. I will prepare a video of this thing or post a series of pics because I am really curious about this unusual find

When I was trying to land this, I bought it for the case. I did not even notice the unusual handle until it arrived. I am equally baffled by this. The case has space for a blade bank as opposed to a little blade box, meaning it is a later one. I will prepare a video of this thing or post a series of pics because I am really curious about this unusual find

The box says Made In USA.

Where does the razor itself say it was made?

The underside has the typical Gillette markings no date code. I will post later. The handle seems the same as a black tip from 1951. The razor opens and closes fine; it isn’t broken.

Actually,
there is really only one small difference between
The Razor In Question
and
the ordinary Milord/Super Speed.

The ordinary Milord/Super Speed
has a groove cut around the barrel of the handle near the knob
and
The Razor In Question lacks that groove.

There is no other difference.
Something like that could have happened accidentally.

So the handle isn’t exactly like the black tip.this handle is unlike any late ‘40’s Gillette product. Any ideas?

Yes, there's no crimp that keeps the knob from dropping down when opened.
Like in this video.

Although it looks like they might've tried something else. Shouldn't there be a security screw in the knob, that looks a bit different to me??

So its not an American Rocket, the handle isn’t chopped down, it appears to have some kind of unique retainer we haven’t seen before and it comes from that late 40s era where we’ve seen some odd things.

Always surprised by what I see here

Top Bottom