What's new

Mystery hones... Let's see what you have

The other thing of course is that branding and labelling of whetstones is a relatively recent thing. If anyone can show me a stone label that definitely predates when Pike and WoAToS started doing it at the tail end of the c.19th, then I'd love to see it.

The quarrying of slate as a building material (and hence as a whetstone material) was a far more important industry in the middle of the c.19th century than it was by the middle of the c.20th. And the timeline of that decline also happens mirror the replacement of natural sharpening stones following the synthesis of man-made SiC and Al2O3, also at the end of the c.19th.

A lot of slate whetstones are just old, and came from a time when nobody labelled whetstones. And because slate was a very important building material, and it all looks the same... there are a lot of 'mystery slate' hones out there.
I believe Marples was labeling CF stones by at least 1860 and possibly as early as the 1830's. They didn't have them on the menu after around 1900 either.

I believe Marples was labeling CF stones by at least 1860 and possibly as early as the 1830's. They didn't have them on the menu after around 1900 either.

I’m not so sure about that T. WM Marples didn’t even exist as such until 1860…

IMG_5245.jpeg

Last edited:
This one kind of has the dimensions of the dense, fat slates with the wide chamfers and wooden boxes you can sometimes find in spain/portugal but it doesn't really feel like those to be honest.
Is it one of those old black la lunes? From the first picture that was my first thought. They had some variation. Some were dense smooth slate and the vintage one I have now(that I've still not flattened) has little pores in it.

I’m not so sure about that T. WM Marples didn’t even exist as such until 1860…

View attachment 1842002
You seem to be on Roger’s page, but yes you are correct if you are speaking of William Marples and Sons, but Marples was selling out of Hibernian works since 1837 and WM. Marples & Sons was used since at least 1860 and it was Hibernia works by then. By 1875 they used the triple shamrock with the Hibernia and the label on that stone has no shamrock. Although the triple shamrock was a registered trademark since 1862.

1830 William Jnr. started his own business in Broomhall St.[Legally when he was 21 yrs old. not in 1828 as you will find reported elsewhere and as shown in the MARPLES catalogues. This date was to try to convince the public that William Marples‘ firm was in existence before his cousin’s {Robert Marples] firm. A great competition in those days.

1833 Whites directory lists ‘Marples Wm. jun joiners’ tool, brace bit and skate manfr. Broomhall Street’.

1837 Moved to larger premises at 67/69 Broomspring Lane (aka Broom Spring Lane or Spring Lane) “Hibernian WorksProbablyit was 1837 because ‘Whites’ stills lists Broomhall St. in 1833.

The first William Marples Jun. catalogue may have been issued. [just a Broadsheet]

He has the 1846 catalogue. 1861 was the first hard backed catalog.

Beautiful thread ..! I have yet to acquire my first "mystery rock", but this thread is an encouragement to get one ...

Reactions: Wid
Top Bottom