What's new

My straight shaving journey

There seems to be a few journals here, so I figure I might as well chuck mine up too.

After shaving with DEs for a year or so I finally took the plunge a couple weeks ago and ordered a Dovo 6/8's Bismarck and Dovo wide strop from Mensbiz (a forum sponsor in Australia). It arrived the next day and after reading a lot here and elsewhere saying it wouldn't be shave ready from the factory, I hit it up on the strop for a few minutes and had a go anyway!

I prepped with a hot shower and Proraso pre-shave cream and got a nice lather going with some Taylor of Old Bond avocado shaving cream and with great trepidation took the edge to my face :scared: I was very nervous at first but managed a reasonable WTG pass on my right side with not a single nick. I'm fairly sure the edge wasn't as good as it should have been, I felt a lot of pulling or catching of the hair, but when I got the angles right the shave was pretty smooth for a single WTG.

Having read that you're best of shaving the left side with the left hand I swapped hands and felt all sorts of awkward! Somehow I managed to get the left side done, again with no nicks at all. I then put the straight back into the right hand and really struggled to get a remotely close shave on my chin. I don't know how many passes I did mainly with the grain, but a little ATG. It was probably the worst shave my chin has ever had, but still I'd managed not to cut myself, in fact in the end I had less irritation than I get with a DE!

I wasn't confident doing my upper lip, so rocked a mo for the week while getting used to the straight.

Calling the first shave a reasonable success, I shaved every second day for the week, just stropping the edge before and after every shave. I got a lot more confident holding the razor in that first week and while not getting as close as a three pass DE shave with my Merkur, I reckon it was about as good as a 2 pass WTG DE shave would be (if I ever tried one).

As there's no Honemeisters in my area and I like learning things for myself anyway, I ordered a Kasumi 3000/8000 whetstone, which arrived on Friday. After watching a few Lynn Abrams videos on youtube, I lapped the stone and tried my hand at honing... I should say now, that my first job as a young fella was in kitchens and I spend 10 years in restaurants where I learnt to, and regularly sharpened knives to the point where they shave arm hair, so I may have a bit of head start. Anyway, after using Lynns circular method on the 3000 and then 40 X strokes on the 3000 I had the blade catching hair about a cm off the arm - I could feel the little pull though, but though that would do for the 3000 grit. I turned over the stone and did about 20 or X strokes on the 8000. This is where I start to think I may have done something a little wrong. After the strokes on the 8000 the blade was no longer slicing through the my arm hair and it didn't pass the HHT either. I figured the strop would get it where I wanted it, I was wrong :sad:

So after my first attempt at honing the Bismark was definitely sharper than it came from the factory, but even after stropping wouldn't pass the HHT with very fine hair. I shaved with it though and felt a big difference, so I think I'm very close to getting the edge right.

Yesterday I felt confident enough to do a pass against the grain after my WTG and was astonished by the results! I'm still struggling a little with the chin area, but my jaw and cheeks were the smoothest they've been since I started shaving! Neck, was OK, but no better than a DE shave. My wife was blown away and finally forgave for spending so much coin on kit :wink2:

So that's the last two weeks of my journey into shaving with straight razors. From here, I'm going to have another go at getting the hone right and try to master the chin area. I'm also in the process of restoring an old French razor, but that's for another post.

Thanks for reading.

Last edited:
Congratulations on a stellar foray into the straight world! Bravo! I don't think I am wrong in saying your experience is much more so the exception than the norm. Certainly my start was a lot more rocky. Keep up the good work and keep us posted to your progress.

I will let the honing experts chime in to give you some real tips. But my experience, if you were sharper on the 3000 and then lost it on the 8000, something was off on your technique. Perhaps you were pushing too hard on the 8000 and didn't lighten up enough at the end, perhaps you didn't do enough strokes on the 8000 or maybe your pressure was in the wrong area on the blade. For beginner honers like us there are hundreds of things that can go wrong. Especially at the finishing stage. A good idea would be to buy yourself a magnification loupe so that you can see what is going on with the edge. Make sure the next stone in the progression removes most of the scratches from the previous one. The loupe can help you with that. Also, stropping is a whole other beast. If you aren't doing it correctly, that can dull the blade too!

Great start to your SR shaving. I agree with Attila, that your start seems to bee the exception than the norm, and that's great!!! Keep it up and the trouble areas will get a little better, although it will be slow going for that. Have fun and don't discouraged if you end up going backwards a time or two.

Thanks Gents,

Two more shaves and not much to report. Last night was the same routine I'd been following; I'm still not confident ATG, but took it slow and am getting better.
I was chatting to an Italian mate about Proraso today and thought I'd go full Proraso tonight, pre shave, soap and after shave :w00t: I'm not sure if it was the shaving soap or if I'd stropped better, but the razor felt a lot smoother on both WTG and ATG. I'm still struggling with the upper lip, no angles feel quite right and I'm not getting anywhere near close enough. I'm sure I'll get it soon though.

I'll have another go at honing in the next few days, if I'm not happy after the second time, I'll chuck up a post in the honing section

Cheers.

From what I read its not uncommon to lose hht as the edge gets sharper. After lower grit there are tiny serrations on the edge that can catch and cut a hair. These get smoothed out at higher grits and you can lose the hht even though the edge is being refined. I can't tell you from my own experience cause I could never get the hht to work at all. If you wand further refinement of the edge try the 8000 with really light pressure. You can even use shaving lather instead of water and use super light pressure on the edge and get a good edge according to another thread I've read. I have a coticule so I haven't tried these methods myself. Look in the jones and honing forum for more good tips. Great job so far

So last night saw the first blooding of the Bismarck! Nothing too bad, I went over a pretty big pimple with too much of an angle (left hand) and the blade dug into the zit pretty deep. Not much different than when the DE hits them, just a touch deeper and a fair bit more claret.

This afternoons shave was uneventful, I went back to the TOB Avocado shaving soap and did notice a touch more pull than with the Proraso, but not too much. I finished both shaves with Speick lotion... I like it! Not sure if I like it better than Proraso lotion or not yet, but I know the wife likes the smell better?

I had another go at honing after my shave this arvo. I took it real slow, did about 25 x strokes on the 3000 and not sure why, but I didn't feel it was quite right? I did two lots of 20 circles each side and then another 20 x strokes on the 3000. That somehow felt better, so I moved on to 25 of so strokes on the 8000 and the blade was cleanly cutting arm hairs about a cm from the skin I gave it 30 strokes on the strop and she's still gliding through arm hairs. I'm really looking forward to my next shave, just need to decide which cream to use???

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
Outside of the today's "blip," it sounds like a very good start on straight shaving. Welcome to the dark side!

Regarding the "blip," maybe that's why straight shavers say their skin feel smoother; have they sliced off all the little bumps? :001_tongu

Congrats on a smooth entry into straight shaving!

Regarding the "blip," maybe that's why straight shavers say their skin feel smoother; have they sliced off all the little bumps? :001_tongu

I have had a little bump on my cheekbone forever, and I swear it is getting smaller. Early on I also excised a small mole on my neck.

Top Bottom