SOTD:
Razor: Edwin Jagger 3one6
Blade: Wilkinson Sword (7)
Pre-Shave: Proraso Green
Soap: Wickham 1912 Cashmere
Brush: EJ87-6 SYNST
Aftershave: Old Spice Original
057_01_21 conv.jpeg

Today, I tried Shane's shaving technique from Blackland Razors. I held the razor about half an inch from the head instead of my usual grip halfway up the handle. The pen-like grip provided more control, clearer feedback, and a more efficient shave. However, I have a recurring ganglion cyst that becomes sensitive when my wrist moves in certain ways. Shaving against the grain on the left side of my face with my right hand exerted some pressure on the nerve. It caused slight discomfort but nothing to write home about. I can live with it. The shave was good and Shane's advice seems to be solid. Maybe, old dogs can learn new tricks even though I'm more of a cat person.

Cheers!
Raven

The pen-like grip
This was one of the things I found interesting about his video. I hold a pen many different ways, depending on if I'm writing, drawing, marking lines, etc. Most everything besides just writing, I hold it much farther back from the tip, sort of like I typically hold a razor. Even when writing, I hold it a little further up the barrel than a lot of people do.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
This was one of the things I found interesting about his video. I hold a pen many different ways, depending on if I'm writing, drawing, marking lines, etc. Most everything besides just writing, I hold it much farther back from the tip, sort of like I typically hold a razor. Even when writing, I hold it a little further up the barrel than a lot of people do.
I usually hold pens and brushes close to the tip, although it isn't a strict rule, particularly with paintbrushes. Further back on the handle might work better on the left side of my face, being right-handed. Shane's pen advice does seem to work well. When I shaved my head with a Kimasori shavette I would put my forefinger on top of the blade/holder. That worked well for me. I had much more control, or so it seemed.

I usually hold a DE sort of like I would hold a pencil or a paint brush when working on an easel-- thumb and two fingers near the balance point, and the pinky resting towards the end to stabilize it-- or, the end of the handle against my palm if it's a short handle. I prefer longer handles though, probably because it suits that grip better.

There's a lot of ways to the top of the mountain though and I enjoy seeing how other people get there.

SOTD:
Razor: Edwin Jagger 3one6
Blade: Wilkinson Sword (7)
Pre-Shave: Proraso Green
Soap: Wickham 1912 Cashmere
Brush: EJ87-6 SYNST
Aftershave: Old Spice Original
View attachment 1835456
Today, I tried Shane's shaving technique from Blackland Razors. I held the razor about half an inch from the head instead of my usual grip halfway up the handle. The pen-like grip provided more control, clearer feedback, and a more efficient shave. However, I have a recurring ganglion cyst that becomes sensitive when my wrist moves in certain ways. Shaving against the grain on the left side of my face with my right hand exerted some pressure on the nerve. It caused slight discomfort but nothing to write home about. I can live with it. The shave was good and Shane's advice seems to be solid. Maybe, old dogs can learn new tricks even though I'm more of a cat person.

Cheers!
Raven

Excellent video, Rave. I’ve been using that close to the head grip on my head shaves for a couple of years. Since acquiring the Lupo I have been trying to get closer to the razor head with my face shave grip. Using the same grip for both face and head has improved efficiency and closeness for both face and head. I also work at trying to grip the razor loosely as opposed to a death grip. It is more relaxed and easier to lighten up on blade to skin contact. Another change I made in using the Lupo is making an effort to towel dry my hand and razor handle during the shave. Dryer hand and razor handle help in better feed back and sensitivity. Yes we are old dogs learning new tricks. Refining the refined.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
It occurs to me as I think about this that depending on the razor, that might be pretty close to the head, though. But on my Retro, I usually grip it further back. My FOCS has the smaller piccolo style handle and that one I hold much closer to the head. I think, for me, it's very razor dependent.
I recall @Cal referring to my Retro handle as a pole vault stick when he first saw it. :lol1:

It occurs to me as I think about this that depending on the razor, that might be pretty close to the head, though. But on my Retro, I usually grip it further back. My FOCS has the smaller piccolo style handle and that one I hold much closer to the head. I think, for me, it's very razor dependent.
Handle weight, diameter and balance will definitely make adjustments to your hold and grip. I liked the piccolo shaves but they were not as good as the Grande’s. The weight, balance and diameter of the handles made a difference in my grips and shave.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Excellent video, Rave. I’ve been using that close to the head grip on my head shaves for a couple of years. Since acquiring the Lupo I have been trying to get closer to the razor head with my face shave grip. Using the same grip for both face and head has improved efficiency and closeness for both face and head. I also work at trying to grip the razor loosely as opposed to a death grip. It is more relaxed and easier to lighten up on blade to skin contact. Another change I made in using the Lupo is making an effort to towel dry my hand and razor handle during the shave. Dryer hand and razor handle help in better feed back and sensitivity. Yes we are old dogs learning new tricks. Refining the refined.
I'm taking it one step at a time, John. If I weren't so lazy, a dry hand would be my next move. Your talk of the Lupo makes me want to revisit it with the pen technique. :001_rolle

The Grande handle is the perfect length and diameter, IMO.
Not to mention the excellent weight of the hollow brass handle. The 80mm length was perfect for my hand. An absolute classic in every way. The Ti handle I use with the Lupo is 85mm. The balance and weight had to be close to the Grande in order for me to use it. I enjoy the improved efficiency of the Lupo. The Grande will always have a warm spot in my heart. The razor taught and encouraged my shaves more than any other.

I did notice today that I gripped the razor as Shane explained in the video, it was a subconscious action, not something I was trying to do. I do find that when I notice my hand placement it is further up like a pencil. YMMV likely plays a large part in hand placement. Thanks for the video, something to pay attention to next shave.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Interesting video...

I want the balance point of the assembled razor to be in a certain place. On this RazoRock handle, the balance point is too low with a Game Changer head.

20240425_181934.jpg

On this two piece Merkur travel handle, the balance point is far too high.

20240425_181914.jpg

On my Jagger DE3D14 handle, the balance is just about right for me.

20240425_181856.jpg

My grip pretty much revolves around this balance point location. The index finger slightly above it, and the middle finger slightly below it.

20240425_182152.jpg

Note the position of the ring finger. In this grip, I can pull with the middle finger, or push with the ring finger, and have a wide range (probably 45 degrees or more) of angle adjustment, without flapping my elbow around like I am doing some kind of demented chicken dance.

That gives me both fine pressure and fine angle control, right at my fingertips.

Likewise on the upstrokes (which despite what Shane said, may or may not be against the grain, depending on the individual shaver), I can vary the angle while maintaining pressure control, by simply curling or extending those first two fingers.

20240425_182212.jpg

For assembly, the cap is far more stable, and therefore far more safely handled, if rotated 90 degrees from demonstrated in that vid, and rested in the crease between the first two fingers. Your thumb is also better placed that way for holding the blade in place while you reach for the base plate, or clamping that base plate down while you screw on the handle, as you are clamping longitudinally, and not risking rolling the cap towards you, and bringing the nearside blade edge towards skin.

20240425_184157.jpg

As for saying there's nothing wrong with gripping the blade edges, snap out of it, soft lad! :a7:

Absolutely a last ditch practice when there's no other practical means. It can be unavoidable on some heads that cover the tabs (Wilkie Classic plastic razor for example), but should definitely be avoided wherever possible. Same with not just dropping the blade down on the counter, never mind dropping it onto metal razor components. Some nerve preaching "back to basics", when mishandling the sharpest and most delicate blade that many people will ever handle. :out:

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
On safety razors, I like holding them as far away from the head as I can and let the cap’s contact with me help me with angle and force. It’s worked twice so far over four years, so #Winning

My face would feel like I had shaved with a rabid gerbil if I did that. I'd definitely recommend trying gripping nearer the business end, Thom. There's significantly more control to be had.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Interesting video...

I want the balance point of the assembled razor to be in a certain place. On this RazoRock handle, the balance point is too low with a Game Changer head.

View attachment 1835541

On this two piece Merkur travel handle, the balance point is far too high.

View attachment 1835543

On my Jagger DE3D14 handle, the balance is just about right for me.

View attachment 1835544

My grip pretty much revolves around this balance point location. The index finger slightly above it, and the middle finger slightly below it.

View attachment 1835540

Note the position of the ring finger. In this grip, I can pull with the middle finger, or push with the ring finger, and have a wide range (probably 45 degrees or more) of angle adjustment, without flapping my elbow around like I am doing some kind of demented chicken dance.

That gives me both fine pressure and fine angle control, right at my fingertips.

Likewise on the upstrokes (which despite what Shane said, may or may not be against the grain, depending on the individual shaver), I can vary the angle while maintaining pressure control, by simply curling or extending those first two fingers.

View attachment 1835542

For assembly, the cap is far more stable, and therefore far more safely handled, if rotated 90 degrees from demonstrated in that vid, and rested in the crease between the first two fingers. Your thumb is also better placed that way for holding the blade in place while you reach for the base plate, or clamping that base plate down while you screw on the handle, as you are clamping longitudinally, and not risking rolling the cap towards you, and bringing the nearside blade edge towards skin.

View attachment 1835549

As for saying there's nothing wrong with gripping the blade edges, snap out of it, soft lad! :a7:

Absolutely a last ditch practice when there's no other practical means. It can be unavoidable on some heads that cover the tabs (Wilkie Classic plastic razor for example), but should definitely be avoided wherever possible. Same with not just dropping the blade down on the counter, never mind dropping it onto metal razor components. Some nerve preaching "back to basics", when mishandling the sharpest and most delicate blade that many people will ever handle. :out:
Well written Al. :001_smile

Top Bottom