What's new

My new pipe making toy.....

Just sold my old lathe and replaced it with this baby......I'm quite excited! :clap:

0521201121.jpg

Plus you freed up room in your shop! Another tool, a huge rack of briar and other blanks, or just keep your head down for awhile?

It was great to see the Grizzly on BST and know I’m not the only guy turning 3” and shorter blanks on a full bed lathe!

You probably don't want to hear this but if you get serious I reckon you will have sold that within a year to upgrade again.

Powermatic is the gold standard. Arguably the best there is. It's my 5th lathe and the one I have dreamed of for years. I would LOVE to see what I might upgrade to. Please show me. Thanks!

Powermatic is the gold standard. Arguably the best there is. It's my 5th lathe and the one I have dreamed of for years. I would LOVE to see what I might upgrade to. Please show me. Thanks!

Powermatic are great so I have heard. It's not the quality, it's the type. You will want to replace it with a metal lathe, or at least get a metal lathe as well.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Really really sweet! I quit the pipe several years ago and I’m seriously considering picking it up again. It was such a pleasure and I miss it. I’m 71 years old so what the Hell right?
I'm a nurse, so the proper answer is "no, don't do it"......

But..... I'm now retired, so the BETTER answer is: just inhale every other puff! Who wants to live forever down here? I have missed my pipes for over 30 years, my cigarettes not once in that time period!

My lovely War Department looks at me like I'm nuts when I extoll the calming effect of a bowl of Borkhum Riff, lol.

Seriously, I miss everything about pipes: cleaning, polishing, reaming, tamping....

Enjoy your new toy, @alpster ! If the last few months have taught us anything I hope it is this: "man born of woman is of few days and full of trouble."

Powermatic are great so I have heard. It's not the quality, it's the type. You will want to replace it with a metal lathe, or at least get a metal lathe as well.

I have two metal lathes. The small one is mostly for turning stems and the big one for metal fabrication. It has a mill attached. No shortage of tools around here. LOL

Lathe_Mill_zpsj4ysrsfk.jpg
0129191955.jpg

Ah you might be ok then, at least until you realise it's better to turn pipes on the metal lathe ;)

I hear you and I tried to turn wood on the metal lathe and I just struggled to get what I wanted out of it. I tend to do better with free hand tools on the wood lathe for wood parts. I would love to get a quality cross slide tool post for my wood lathe, but can't seem to find anyone who makes one.

Top Bottom