What's new

My Journey - So Far

Hi Lockback,
Keep the updates coming!
I hear you on aging, it's not for faint of heart .
I will be 66 on the 25th.
I also love motorcycles, started a 15 dirt ride, then quickly to the street once I got my motorcycle permit at 15 1/2. Had quite a few over the years... Last one was a HD road king. Love all the two wheels.
Had a couple Yamaha VMax, loved those but I love life and was going a bit quick on the V's...Sold them because I found out I am not immortal.
Never crashed in all my years on two wheels, so the motorcycle gods and goddesses liked me a bit...and let me live...
Sold them all at 55....Had mazda's rx7/ 8s to keep road engaged...

Shaving, wow...I will try to keep this as short as I can..
My great dad ( now 95 - 96 soon ) taught how to shave a 16.
Straights first, he said it like driving a standard....
DE's later...
Never looked back, never even touch a plastic razor thing.
Mapped from my dad, a daily shaver...
Love the process and the face smoothness.

The big thing I have learned, that is also about face management and more so has we get older.
It is discussed here on the forum but I don't think it comes close to level it should.
Like...outside shaving...
I wash the face at least twice a day and supplement small layers of skin care ( letting each absorb.
Note: I got the drill very early from dad on consistency, patiences, skills, face mapping, and so much more...enjoyment.
My wife, once a cosmetologist & dermatologist all the best practices around both shaving and daily skin care.

So in short, enjoy the shaves, keep learning, but do all the right things to protect and repair your face/skin during the hair execution process.
Sorry got to go....at work....lol..

Cheers,​

BFX​

Regarding motorcycles, I sold my 2012 Yamaha FJR1300 yesterday. I am without a motorcycle for the first time in 30 years and only the second in 48 trips around the sun. But the time has come to hang up my helmet.
Because I was flush with cash last night and needed something fun to look forward to, I "splurged" on yet another vintage Gillette Super Speed, my 6th one, a C1 (1st quarter of 1957) which coincides with the time period when my sister was born. So have birthyear razors for me, my brother and my sister. Kind of odd but, hey, they just fell that way. I also ordered some more Stirling Soap samples: Haverford, Hot Apple Cider, Texas On Fire, Stirling Gentleman and Baker Street. Can't wait to try them out!

I'm not often given to impulses - I tend to be rational and measured and careful - but sometimes you just have to chase a goofy thought to see where it goes.
I need another razor like I need a dash of Comet cleanser on a meat loaf sandwich.
But I've heard so many good things about the Leaf Twig single blade razor, it got my curiosity piqued. And, whaddya know ... Amazon had it on sale today (20% off for Prime members). So I pulled the trigger on it.
It looks like a praying mantis and features the weirdest twist-to-open action ever seen and even has a magnet to help guide the half blade into its proper position. It's just plain weird. But people seem to like it.
So I'll give it a shot. What do I have to lose other than a few bucks? Something different is sometimes something good.

I'm not often given to impulses - I tend to be rational and measured and careful - but sometimes you just have to chase a goofy thought to see where it goes.
I need another razor like I need a dash of Comet cleanser on a meat loaf sandwich.
But I've heard so many good things about the Leaf Twig single blade razor, it got my curiosity piqued. And, whaddya know ... Amazon had it on sale today (20% off for Prime members). So I pulled the trigger on it.
It looks like a praying mantis and features the weirdest twist-to-open action ever seen and even has a magnet to help guide the half blade into its proper position. It's just plain weird. But people seem to like it.
So I'll give it a shot. What do I have to lose other than a few bucks? Something different is sometimes something good.
Somewhat intrigued also on Leaf but thing I would have grabbed the Thorn. My long time favs are Thiers-Issard (SR'S), DE's ( & Slants). But someday I may try a single edge just for curiosity. Good luck with the Twig and I totally agree on a little change up.
Interesting marketing naming conventions: Leaf, Twig & Thorn

How about... General Sherman, Giant Sequoia, Red Wood..for a male product lineup...

Cheers
BFX

I will be interested to hear how you like the Leaf Twig when you get it. I have likewise been intrigued by it for a while. However, I need another razor like I need a hole in my head. I did see Amazon had them on sale as well and I had to fight off the urge to add it to my cart.

I will be interested to hear how you like the Leaf Twig when you get it. I have likewise been intrigued by it for a while. However, I need another razor like I need a hole in my head. I did see Amazon had them on sale as well and I had to fight off the urge to add it to my cart.
Sometimes lust overpowers logic. I don't need a new razor either. Not even close ... but I saw the deal and ... well, the rest is history.
I should be getting it today and will likely shave with it tomorrow. I'll let you know what I think. :thumbsup:

Somewhat intrigued also on Leaf but thing I would have grabbed the Thorn. My long time favs are Thiers-Issard (SR'S), DE's ( & Slants). But someday I may try a single edge just for curiosity. Good luck with the Twig and I totally agree on a little change up.
Interesting marketing naming conventions: Leaf, Twig & Thorn

How about... General Sherman, Giant Sequoia, Red Wood..for a male product lineup...

Cheers
BFX
I agree with you on the name convention: not would I have chosen those names for a manly product.
But they clearly are also trying to appeal to women and their chief marketing thrust is that there's no plastic used in their products. Very Green. So from that standpoint, I get the tree references.

I received the Twig today. I loaded a Lord Platinum half-blade in it in preparation for tomorrow's shave and to see how the thing works.
Interesting.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Last edited:
I used the Twig this morning, paired with Stirling Hot Apple Cider soap and a Lord Platinum half-blade.
Initial reaction is quite positive. I got a very nice shave with no drama. The shave angle is already built into the razor so you hold it more parallel to you face than the usual 30 degree angle for a double edge safety razor.
So the question is this: where does this fit into the shaving world when you're already a convert to DE safety razors and have left cartridge razors behind?
I consider this device an excellent transitional tool for those who want to shift from cartridges or even electric shavers to something better.
Is it better than any of my DE razors?
No. It's different. It's undeniably smooth and for those who have to negotiate tight areas such as under the nose (I don't as I have a goatee), the small, thin head would be fantastic. The mechanism which opens the blade bay and twists the top out of the way for easier access is really clever, as is the tiny magnet that helps hold the blade until you close up the mechanism. It's a neat design and clearly unique. Now whether or not it will hold up over a period of years is yet another question. The fact that I have Gillette Super Speeds over 70 years old that still function almost perfectly will be a high target for Leaf to aspire to ...
All in all, I think it's a pretty cool razor and I look forward to having it in my Anti-Whisker Arsenal. But in all honesty, it doesn't solve any problems that I had. It's just fun to have something different.

proxy.php

I used the Twig this morning, paired with Stirling Hot Apple Cider soap and a Lord Platinum half-blade.
Initial reaction is quite positive. I got a very nice shave with no drama. The shave angle is already built into the razor so you hold it more parallel to you face than the usual 30 degree angle for a double edge safety razor.
So the question is this: where does this fit into the shaving world when you're already a convert to DE safety razors and have left cartridge razors behind?
I consider this device an excellent transitional tool for those who want to shift from cartridges or even electric shavers to something better.
Is it better than any of my DE razors?
No. It's different. It's undeniably smooth and for those who have to negotiate tight areas such as under the nose (I don't as I have a goatee), the small, thin head would be fantastic. The mechanism which opens the blade bay and twists the top out of the way for easier access is really clever, as is the tiny magnet that helps hold the blade until you close up the mechanism. It's a neat design and clearly unique. Now whether or not it will hold up over a period of years is yet another question. The fact that I have Gillette Super Speeds over 70 years old that still function almost perfectly will be a high target for Leaf to aspire to ...
All in all, I think it's a pretty cool razor and I look forward to having it in my Anti-Whisker Arsenal. But in all honesty, it doesn't solve any problems that I had. It's just fun to have something different.

proxy.php
Thanks for your first review of the Leaf Twig. If you were to compare it to your regular DEs, where does it fall on the aggressive/efficiency scale?

Thanks for your first review of the Leaf Twig. If you were to compare it to your regular DEs, where does it fall on the aggressive/efficiency scale?
Well, it's hard to say after only one shave. But my early impression is that it would be smack dab in the middle. I have a spot on my jawline that often requires numerous touch-ups and this razor was no exception but it made short work of it (of course the blade also plays a role). I had virtually no irritation but it wasn't the closest shave I've ever had either. So at this stage, I'd say middle of the road, which isn't always a bad thing.
I like the way it feels in the hand despite its odd shape. I get the impression a lot of thought went into this thing prior to production. And one thing I really like is that it doesn't require proprietary blades. You can use any ol' DE blade and snap it in half.

Well, it's hard to say after only one shave. But my early impression is that it would be smack dab in the middle. I have a spot on my jawline that often requires numerous touch-ups and this razor was no exception but it made short work of it (of course the blade also plays a role). I had virtually no irritation but it wasn't the closest shave I've ever had either. So at this stage, I'd say middle of the road, which isn't always a bad thing.
I like the way it feels in the hand despite its odd shape. I get the impression a lot of thought went into this thing prior to production. And one thing I really like is that it doesn't require proprietary blades. You can use any ol' DE blade and snap it in half.
I understand it is hard to say too much after just one shave. I will follow along with interest to see how the shaves to come, will turn out. I do agree completely with the blade thing. At least at this point in my journey, I do not have really an interest in SE razors, mainly due to the blade situation. However half DE blades I find that quite attractive.

I understand it is hard to say too much after just one shave. I will follow along with interest to see how the shaves to come, will turn out. I do agree completely with the blade thing. At least at this point in my journey, I do not have really an interest in SE razors, mainly due to the blade situation. However half DE blades I find that quite attractive.
Yep, that's my take on it too. It makes it more attractive.
As I said earlier, I can't say it solves any issues that I have as I'm completely pleased with my modern and vintage safety razors. But it's another option and just bizarre enough to make it sort of fun.
I will let you guys know what I think of it as time goes by.

In the Stop Me Before I Spend Again Department, I ordered another Leaf razor. I really like the Twig so much I figured I'd add a Thorn to my burgeoning collection, particularly since it's on sale for Black Friday. I need another razor like a hole in my head but I enjoy the Leaf concept so much I decided to get another slight variation.
Every month that goes by, I think, "Okay. I'm done. I have all the blades, razors, soaps, creams and brushes I need. Enough, Dan. Give it a rest."
And then I see something else. :devil2:
It never stops. :lol1:

Every month that goes by, I think, "Okay. I'm done. I have all the blades, razors, soaps, creams and brushes I need. Enough, Dan. Give it a rest."
Hahahahaha...you wish. I think the same thing as do most of us at some point...and then Guess What? Yep...it's the ol' Hmm, that looks really interesting or Gee, I wonder what that would be like etc. It's a human condition that we have conditioned ourselves to. It's not really harmful unless it's to the point you're not buying food or paying rent etc. For myself, I can say I've slowed it down considerably...but there's still those things that catch my eye and interest.

And, I really enjoy using those collapsible silicon bowls for lathering as well...I also see you use them too. They're great for traveling also.
Cheers!

In the Stop Me Before I Spend Again Department, I ordered another Leaf razor. I really like the Twig so much I figured I'd add a Thorn to my burgeoning collection, particularly since it's on sale for Black Friday. I need another razor like a hole in my head but I enjoy the Leaf concept so much I decided to get another slight variation.
And then I see something else. :devil2:
It never stops. :lol1:
Be sure and let us know how you like that Thorn @Lockback

Top Bottom