What's new

My homemade 8/8 smiley

$DSCN1415.jpg
$DSCN1417.jpg
Both are still a bit wider than 6/8, but it is good to grind off a bit after the heat treat to get past any decarburized steel.

Awesome on both on those-my only suggestion would be to make the transition to the tang a smooth one, cleaner looking

Awesome on both on those-my only suggestion would be to make the transition to the tang a smooth one, cleaner looking
The razor that I sent you to try (post #239) was the last one that I did with a smooth transition from the grind to the tang. This transition occurs right at the same place where the thickness of the spine transitions to the thinner tang thickness. The lines that result are hard to predict and involve a bit of hand futsing to get them to look right. I have started leaving a very defined end to the grind for this reason. I also like the looks of the resulting sharp lines of doing it this way.

I forged a couple more 6/8 blanks. I figured I should do four while I'm 'in the groove'. Each size has it's own idiosyncrasies.

What wheel you use on the grinder - how many inches
I have some steel blanks i may try to make one my own for me
It depends on the size of the razor. For these 6/8 razors I'm using 1-1/4", 3", and 4". For my 7/8 razors I use 2" through 5".

I forged a couple more 6/8 blanks. I figured I should do four while I'm 'in the groove'. Each size has it's own idiosyncrasies.

"I don't make mistakes, I just make smaller razors" (Charlie Lewis) I ground the spine of one of the blanks too thin. It looks like that one is going to have to be an 11/16"

Is it "too thin" because of the resulting bevel angle? Or is this a heat treatment/metallurgical thing? How do you like the shave on your new, smaller razors?

Is it "too thin" because of the resulting bevel angle? Or is this a heat treatment/metallurgical thing? How do you like the shave on your new, smaller razors?
It's the bevel angle. I could just not run the grind as close to the spine to keep the angle correct, but that always looks hokey to me. Better to just make a smaller razor.

I'm liking these 6/8s a lot better than I thought I would, enough to make four of them anyway. Working on them feels like making doll clothes, not that I have any experience with that. They do seem more challenging for me to make than the 7/8 size.

Top Bottom