What's new

My homemade 8/8 smiley

Nice work Bluesman. I was taking blacksmith classes a couple of years ago, and have a coal rivet forge in storage, once we get moved into the new house I will have to fire it back up. I have never tried to make a blade, and was mainly doing ornamental iron work.

What a great thread. Read the whole thing last night. What a cool process. Thanks for posting.

Wow this thread is a trove of awesome knowledge. Subscribed!

Nice work Bluesman. I was taking blacksmith classes a couple of years ago, and have a coal rivet forge in storage, once we get moved into the new house I will have to fire it back up. I have never tried to make a blade, and was mainly doing ornamental iron work.

Thanks guys.

We'll have to get together some time Nightcap. I'm in Lafayette.

A couple of 7/8 blanks ready for heat treat.
$DSCN1221.jpg

The micarta that I made for my first 7/8 (post 240) was supposed to be a grey panel on a black back round. The gray paper that I used was kind of porous and seemed to pull ink from the black paper. The result was a modeled black/grey that looked like black granite. Kind of nice, but not what I had in mind.

For the razor that I'm working on now I went for that same grey panel, but used a more dense paper. The result was even more black than the last time! This time it looks more like slate. I'm not sure what's going on with this, Either the gray is weird or the black paper has changed with the ink not being as set. Anyway, the scales are an acceptable color.

This micarta making is kind of like my forging. The lack of exactness causes a variable that leads in unplanned but often cool directions.

I'll get pictures up early next week as I'm doing the finishing touches on this razor at the Denver meet this Sunday.

You might be able to set the color in the black paper by soaking it in vinegar and letting it dry first.
Test a small batch to see. If not - you can try turps and salt. Or even just salt water.

I'm thinking that it is more the grey paper looking black when it is wetted with the epoxy, than the black dye running into it.

I made another lay up that is purple on grey, it will be telling how that comes out after sanding.

I have forgotten to check this thread, for a couple of weeks.

I am amazed at your razors. Beautiful!
Thanks Dools. The second blank of this pair is sporting a new thinner grind. I'm making scales for it now, it should be up soon.

Victor:

The grind on the Purple Haze razor looks to be a double belly and quite thin, how does it differ from your yellow razor in profile?

What are the measurements on this one? Still 15 degree bevel angle?

Are both the Grey and Purple Haze blades 1095?

What, so far, are your observations of how 1095 differs from 01 in forging and grinding?

Any differences in how they shave?

Both look awesome by the way!

FrankC

Victor:

The grind on the Purple Haze razor looks to be a double belly and quite thin, how does it differ from your yellow razor in profile?

This one is a double belly. Its not very pronounced but you can see it in the second picture and you can feel it with your fingers. The belly allowed me to get the center area very thin and still leave a bit of support directly behind the edge.

What are the measurements on this one? Still 15 degree bevel angle?

This and both grey scaled razors are 7/8 with 15 degree bevel angles. I tend to really like the feel of acute bevel angles.

Are both the Grey and Purple Haze blades 1095?

Yes, I have switched to using 1095 steel. I came to the conclusion that the chromium and tungsten carbides that are common in 01 were doing nothing positive for the edge and just making the razors harder to hone.

What, so far, are your observations of how 1095 differs from 01 in forging and grinding?

I don't think I could tell the difference in forging. The rough grinding does seem a bit easier, but I did change the heat treat that I do when the forging is complete, so that should have positive effects also. The post heat treat hardness is very close to the same as the Yellow razor. I do think the 1095 hones better than the 01 steel.
Any differences in how they shave?

Hard to say as there is so much depending on the honing. The Yellow razor that you did with a JNat edge is still among the top shavers in my rotation. The 7/8 size is definitely my favorite though. The balance and handling are just perfect IMO.

I'm still thinking about a 6/8 but I've realized that actually a lot of experience is needed to really learn how each wheel size behaves on each size of razor

Both look awesome by the way!

FrankC
Thanks Frank

Last edited:
Top Bottom