What's new

My Guess... 3017

brucered

System Generated
How do you get the soap mashed up so nicely(even) in your bowl?

Pure muscle.

Haslinger is cut and pressed as flat as possible and then smoothed out with an IKEA kids knife that has a big ball end on it.

MWF was grated, so it was easy to get smooth and even with just my thumb.

Last edited:
I warned my latest 3017 victim if it doesn't die soon I will break out my SOC boar. I hate to abuse a good puck of Haslinger, but darnit we're pushing 40 shaves soon and I have other products to kill before year-end. Stubborn Austrians. :a11:

Snowman, I feel your pain. I'm all in for 2016 now. Six shaves in with CRSW and already getting nervous. It's been years since I have used MWF but I must say Bruce's posts look great btw.

I have a puck of Calani Highland Honey I will use in November when this Fall puck is done. I remember from a couple years ago the Calani was quite a good soap, a creamy/yogurt like soap similar to I Coloniali (veggie so not as thick as Haslinger/MWF). When made right these veg. soaps can be really good.

Finish the year off with Nancy Boy and maybe consider using this a bit for travel.

I just ordered 4 more pucks of Haslinger from Gifts & Care. Why not. Never ordered from them before and also picked up a bottle of Myrsol Emulsion which, for some really strange reason, I have never tried before after all these years!?

On another note looking forward to Haslinger 2016 and where it takes us.

There does seem to be some overriding tension in the wet shaving community of late (to me) and this thread feels comfortable and safe!

brucered

System Generated
I remember from a couple years ago the Calani was quite a good soap, a creamy/yogurt like soap similar to I Coloniali (veggie so not as thick as Haslinger/MWF). When made right these veg. soaps can be really good....

There does seem to be some overriding tension in the wet shaving community of late (to me) and this thread feels comfortable and safe!

I've never tried Calani but always meant to. I know when the time comes and I finally order, I'll probably be kicking myself for not trying it soon (like I did with Haslinger). From what I hear, they are great pucks, small but the scent are quite polarizing and some find them too much.

3017 thread is where it's at. No BS, no schilling, no hype....pure performance.

I've finally got a hole in my RR Freedberg. I think that if I conservatively loaded this, I could have eeked out 4 months of daily shaving. I do not understand at all where the longevity is coming from.

I've never tried Calani but always meant to. I know when the time comes and I finally order, I'll probably be kicking myself for not trying it soon (like I did with Haslinger). From what I hear, they are great pucks, small but the scent are quite polarizing and some find them too much.

3017 thread is where it's at. No BS, no schilling, no hype....pure performance.

Strike another small artisan up to my "should try" list. Some of their scents sound simply divine. "Dubai" sounds particularly good for the winter months. Anyone know if direct from Calani is the only way to order?

I got the Calani through a trade a year ago but I think I heard you can order direct for something like $30 for 4 pucks delivered. I'm not sure on that price but like Haslinger better to get them over there. I remember it being a really nice soap but I can't remember how strong they smell.

You know, just thinking about it, I have a strong hunch all my orders will be coming from the European vendors in the future. Cheaper prices and great service and selection. Canadian and US vendors are great but its hard to beat the Europeans.

brucered

System Generated
Strike another small artisan up to my "should try" list. Some of their scents sound simply divine. "Dubai" sounds particularly good for the winter months. Anyone know if direct from Calani is the only way to order?

The only place I ever saw it was direct. And like ordering anything from EU to N.America, the more you order, the cheaper each unit becomes.

The only reseller that I ever saw that carried Calani was RoyalShave but they no longer do. I think direct is the only way to go.

If anyone has better info, please share.

After Speicktember I've got Proraso green croap on hand. Using a SOC to try and get through it quickly although it is just producing so much lather that it feels wasteful. I only do 2 pass shaves. Might have to switch to a smaller knot just so I feel less guilty.

I just ordered 4 more pucks of Haslinger from Gifts & Care. Why not. Never ordered from them before and also picked up a bottle of Myrsol Emulsion which, for some really strange reason, I have never tried before after all these years!?
QUOTE]

Let us know how it goes with Gifts & Care, I've thought of ordering from them a couple times but haven't pulled the trigger yet.

brucered

System Generated
... also picked up a bottle of Myrsol Emulsion which, for some really strange reason, I have never tried before after all these years!?

I forgot to touch on the Myrsol Emulsion...It's amazing. I pretty much 3017 it all fall/winter.

I'm a couple of weeks into my tin of Wickham South Sea Spray, which I have transferred to my MWF ceramic dish. It can give good lathers, but is a bit inconsistent. Each new brush needs a day or two to dial in. 30 second load with a synthetic last week was great. The same with my GYLE M7 had the lather dissipating on my face, so I had to go 45 seconds instead. I'm already planning for the next cream, so you know my general opinion of this cream.

Bruce:

Do you use the Myrsol Emulsion before or after shaving? I've been using it as a pre-shave but can't bring myself to use it as an ASB.

brucered

System Generated
Bruce:

Do you use the Myrsol Emulsion before or after shaving? I've been using it as a pre-shave but can't bring myself to use it as an ASB.
Only a post. I manages to ween myself off any preshave products a few months ago. Hot shower, face splash and I'm ready to go.

It works great on my skim and seems to be quite concentrated so a little goes a long way.

Speicktember is over for me. Killed off the last of the tube with tonight's shave. Long live Speick!

Last three items in order before Haslinger: 5g of TOBS Lemon-Lime cream, ~40g of TOBS Avocado, 7.5g of B&M Lime, Lavender, and Cedarwood. At a 2g burn rate it could last until early December with it on hold while I travel.

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
After 8 weeks less a day and 55 shaves, I have broken through the bottom of the wonderful little Gordej round. We know it goes fast from here.
proxy.php

Top Bottom