What's new

My Guess... 3017

I have ~5.5g of Speick left so that's going in the dopp kit for the weekend. It might also stay in the dopp kit that's for the weekender bag if I have any left after this weekend.

I pulled the TOBS Avocado back out from the storage box and that should start next week. It's my last partial soap remaining. I also have only two samples left before breaking out of sample jail: TOBS Lemon/Lime and B&M Lime/Lavender/Cedarwood.

I love Tabac, especially with the cooler weather. CRSW was dialed in on the second or third shave 5 tins ago. Right there with top-tier soaps like Haslinger and Tabac.

The cream of the crop are tried and true for a reason. Reliable formula and consistent manufacturing methods. All of the tinkering we see with some artisan soap makers may actually be worse. Rather than tinker, fine tune the recipe. Don't get me wrong, I truly appreciate all of the innovation going on out there. It has helped drive the increasing return to traditional methods.

What really bothers me is that the true pioneers, the ones who planted a stake in the midst of a barren landscape, don't get the credit they're due. Charles at QED, Mama Bear, Honeybee Sue, Sue and Wendy at SCS did it first and did it well. What's worse, some even get denigrated because their soaps are *gasp* melt and pour. For years, I have shied away from the glycerin based soaps. I think I bought into the tallow hype. Last year when word got out that QED was discontinuing their soaps, I bought a few shave sticks. The lathers I get from them are easy to make and very high quality...plenty rich and slick.

personally, I have always shied away from doing what the others do. It's one reason why there is no Simpson Colonel in my stable...everyone gets one. I need to remember that the below the radar classics are still there, and deserve purchase and use. Pay attention to the ones that aren't calling attention to themselves. Twitter and Facebook should never be a reason to buy a soap.

Now, if y'all wouldn't mind stepping off of my lawn. :wink:

Beginish, Great points all around. The reason I really like the CRSW is that I feel the recipe has been 'fine tuned' to the point it matches the tried and true and I really like their ingredient list. I'm pretty much done with any others except (maybe) Mike's and your post resonates indeed.

You brought back some memories for me having met Charles down in Rhode Island. I used to call him up, chat for 1/2 an hour, and place an order. We talked about New England news and such. God, this was back 2006-8. Great guy.

I just checked his site and he has the Savile Row (Shavemac) brushes in stock again. These are wonderful brushes...must go out and rake the leaves!

Last edited:
I agree with Bob even though I have no idea what Simpson Colonel is. Heck I have noticed a similar thing in the beer world. Many of the big guys don't get credit for being able to produce a consistent product world wide over a period of many years. There are also a bunch of brewers that seem to produce something different every month and are very unrepeatable. I like to know which kind I am purchasing and plan accordingly both with beer and shaving supplies.

Oh and get off my lawn too!

My SOC, immediately after face lathering pass 2 of MWF.

$IMG_20151003_103225.jpg

Nice lather, Bruce. How would rate Speick, Halsinger, and MWF in relation to each other?

It's too early to tell with MFW, only three shaves in. Scent of MWF is very nice, it surprised me and better then Speick, stronger then Haslinger, not as nice as Haslinger Honey and Coconut but better then some of the others.

It's now been a few months since I used Haslinger but it's still #1 in my eyes/mind. MWF had great post shave feel and I don't seem to be having any issues lathering. I have no idea how much I'm using though.

They are all great soaps.

Last edited:
Hey Bruce, nice bowl, where'd you get it? :biggrin:

So I need to start thinking of the next 3017 victim. The candidates are;

- 1/4 puck of C&S Oxford & Cambridge. I had used this for several weeks this past Spring. Would like to kill it before year-end. (3 weeks?)
- New RR XX (30 days)
- New B&M Lavanille. (45 days)
- New puck of MWF. (never 3017'd, no idea, but I think a couple months?)

There is some strategy involved here as the year is quickly slipping away. I intend on using Haslinger exclusively in 2016, so if I have a partial at year-end it won't get finished until 2017. That sounds like a long way off. I know...its all a bit silly....but kind of fun in an OCD sort of way to challenge myself.

Depending on how much longer my current 3017 victim hangs on the C&S should see me to the end of October. So if I hit B&M Lavanille starting about the first of November and it runs about 45 days I am half way through December. Too late to start a fresh puck of MWF or RR. So I could put those in long-term storage and just use my ever trusty tube of Proraso Blue that is my ever-present travel companion. I have about 2 weeks left in the tube. I am making a couple travel shave sticks of Haslinger so that I can use Haslinger in 2016 even when I travel. Which means I won't miss the Proraso cream.

Bingo...that's the plan then. Next victim will be C&S O&C partial likely followed by B&M Lavanille.

Snowman, if I were you I'd feel better about storing O&C long term than I would XX. But I'm also not much of a fan of that soap base in general.

Snowman, if I were you I'd feel better about storing O&C long term than I would XX. But I'm also not much of a fan of that soap base in general.

I hear, ya, but...O&C is probably my favorite soap ever. If it were the same price as Haslinger I'd by a lifetime supply of O&C and never look back. I hate to leave only 1/3 of a puck laying around for a year or so. If in 2017 I open up the RR and its gone bad...um...well...I wont shed a tear as I bin it. If the O&C went bad or even lost its scent I would probably have to slit my own throat with a dull butter knife.

To add a twist to my twisted plan...I have had allergic reaction in the past to heavily scented B&M soaps. Lavanille is very strong, I suspect their is a better than 50% chance I'll have an allergic reaction. If that's the case I have to roll with either RR or MWF.

Anyone here that's 3017'd a full puck (replacement puck, not in the dish) of MWF have any idea how long it lasts?

Nice looking lather, Bruce. It's been too long since I've visited MWF. It'll be quite a while from now when I get back to my unused puck in storage. I remember the post shave being spectacular.

SCS Pumpkin is coming along very nicely. Great scent, slick lather, good post shave. Currently burning through the puck at around 3g/shave but not looking back!

Top Bottom