What's new

My Guess... 3017

strop

Now half as wise
The DRH Sandalwood is no more. I started it on November 19th. I averaged about 5.5 shaves per week by my estimate, so somewhere around 125 shaves., with the last just as good as the first. I know it doesn't float everyone's boat, but I always find it top of the line. I broke thru about 2 weeks ago.
image_67184385.JPG

I had placed the puck into the dish upside down with the hopes of minimizing the end ring, which can get difficult to use. It seems to have been a partial success, since the ring was thinner than usual and didn't last as long. This was after yesterday's shave.
image_67157249.JPG

It was too difficult to load, so this morning it went into the Frankensoap tub. I've been debating what to use next, since I have a great stash of classics, mostly unobtaniums. I chose instead an old puck of Trumpers Almond that I've had for years. I don't have much expectation, but will need a bar for the shower in the near future.
image_67197185.JPG

I suspect this is one of the early reformulations, so I'm not holding out much hope it will be good.
image_67182593.JPG

I was able to make lather, but it wasn't as protective as the DRH. I'll give it some time to hydrate a little more before passing final judgement, and will report back in a couple weeks.

The DRH Sandalwood is no more. I started it on November 19th. I averaged about 5.5 shaves per week by my estimate, so somewhere around 125 shaves., with the last just as good as the first. I know it doesn't float everyone's boat, but I always find it top of the line. I broke thru about 2 weeks ago.
View attachment 1839242

I had placed the puck into the dish upside down with the hopes of minimizing the end ring, which can get difficult to use. It seems to have been a partial success, since the ring was thinner than usual and didn't last as long. This was after yesterday's shave.
View attachment 1839243

It was too difficult to load, so this morning it went into the Frankensoap tub. I've been debating what to use next, since I have a great stash of classics, mostly unobtaniums. I chose instead an old puck of Trumpers Almond that I've had for years. I don't have much expectation, but will need a bar for the shower in the near future.
View attachment 1839244

I suspect this is one of the early reformulations, so I'm not holding out much hope it will be good.
View attachment 1839245

I was able to make lather, but it wasn't as protective as the DRH. I'll give it some time to hydrate a little more before passing final judgement, and will report back in a couple weeks.
I was so looking forward to animal v veggie on the ingredients list.
I have used a really poorly performing Trumper's Limes puck to the end because I loved the scent and Trumper's Coconut Oil (tallow!!) was the first quality soap I used. I hope this almond puck is good enough to continue.

I am not going to the C.O. Bigelow just yet. I am going to do a quick month with a stick from a box of 12. First shave? Clearly a step (or two) below Top Secret. The scent is a commercial cleaning lemon, but the lather is more than adequate in slickness and cushion. It's not a chore to use Arko.

Attachments

• IMG_1421.jpeg
    IMG_1421.jpeg
    939.1 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_1422.jpeg
    IMG_1422.jpeg
    931.6 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Hey there. Has anyone 3017ed a Zingari man soap? I find it notoriously less cost/effective than similar artisans like A&E and B&M. I can get a great lather with 1.5 grams of both of them, with Zingari I’m estimating almost double the amount

Mike M

...but this one IS cracked.
Hey there. Has anyone 3017ed a Zingari man soap? I find it notoriously less cost/effective than similar artisans like A&E and B&M. I can get a great lather with 1.5 grams of both of them, with Zingari I’m estimating almost double the amount
Not yet, I have Explorer and yes I do find it goes quite quickly so I only use synthetic brushes on it to keep the usage down.

Not yet, I have Explorer and yes I do find it goes quite quickly so I only use synthetic brushes on it to keep the usage down.

Yeah. I was kind of loading from the tub (actually I transfered a decent amount to another bowl) and noticed it was disappearing quite quickly. So I started scooping and weighing with a jewelry scale. In my last attempt, 2.5 grams seems like the bare minimum to get a decent lather

View attachment 1839242

View attachment 1839243

View attachment 1839244

View attachment 1839245

I am doing the same inverted soap when I start the puck of Arlington (hopefully) next week.

@strop That new Trumper puck is the original tallow formula! Shave soap base is the giveaway!

strop

Now half as wise
I am doing the same inverted soap when I start the puck of Arlington (hopefully) next week.

@strop That new Trumper puck is the original tallow formula! Shave soap base is the giveaway!

That is a welcome surprise. 3 days in and today was the best shave so far. I've started today to "bloom" the puck, something I've never felt the need to do before, so hopefully that will speed up the hydration process.

Penhaligon’s Sartorial is finished. The remainder in the bowl broke into little pieces and I ain’t gonna chase around those little dogies in the name of completism. Solid soap with a great scent. Works best with a synthetic brush in my hands. Sadly no longer produced, IIRC, but if you can find one at a reasonable price, it’s worth a try for 5+ months of great shaves.

Three 3017 soaps left in the box, and as this fine crew has voted, an 11 year old puck of DR Harris Arlington is on the clock starting tomorrow. We are taking a trip this summer to visit the UK and I will stop in one of the shops, but will bring home shaving creams instead.

The end is in sight!

Last edited:
This is the tenth day I have been using the tallow formula of Haslinger Sandelholz Rasierseife Beruhigend or Haslinger Sandalwood for short. This soap excels when used daily. It makes an incredible amount of lather, and the lather gives me a great shave.
I love Sandelholz and it has great longevity considering the size of the puck. And the smell is awesome too.

Enjoy!

Guido.

Guess I’m gonna 3017 this soap now. B&M Reserve Waves, been using this pretty exclusively, no idea how many shaves I’ve got on this, but it’s a great performer for me and I like the scent. Will definitely re-buy when the time comes. I only shave every other day, at most, sometimes every third day if I’m being lazy. We’ll see how much longer I’ve got with it 😃🤙

IMG_9496.jpegIMG_9497.jpegIMG_9498.jpeg

I have to put a temporary hold on 3017ing La Toja. I've got about 1/4 of the tube left. I was visiting some friends and I forgot my Dopp kit at their house. I won't get back there again for a couple months so I decided to start up a fresh 3017 effort and I'll circle back and kill off La Toja in a few months.

First shave yesterday with a new puck of Haslinger Schafmilch (veggie).....

View attachment 1819772

Unwrapped it and dropped it in my Proraso Mug......

View attachment 1819774

Soaked the big Omega boar.....about 30 seconds of swirling and my cup runneth over. Its a bit airy in this pic but I got it sorted out pretty quickly. So La Toja is an excellent cream.....and it cannot touch Haslinger in any performance catagory. Not even close.

View attachment 1819776

Haslinger Schafmilch veg is done. I recovered my Dopp kit a couple weeks ago So La Toja cream is back on the clock. I have about 1/4 tube left so shouldn’t take too long.

Top Bottom