What's new

My first DE shave

So I have been on here for a little over a month, and researching this for even longer and I finally shaved with a DE razor for the first time. My wife was not ready to give up my beard so I did a neck shave only

Razor: Vikings Blade Emperor on setting 3
Blade: Gilette Permasharp
Cream:TOBS Jermyn St
This was a great shave, not sure if it was just beginners luck or I set my self up for success with all the research I did, but it went smooth with no nicks or weepers and barely any irritation. The alum block after block revealed less irritation than any of my disposable shaves. Really happy with the switch.

So I have been on here for a little over a month, and researching this for even longer and I finally shaved with a DE razor for the first time. My wife was not ready to give up my beard so I did a neck shave only

This was a great shave, not sure if it was just beginners luck or I set my self up for success with all the research I did, but it went smooth with no nicks or weepers and barely any irritation. The alum block after block revealed less irritation than any of my disposable shaves. Really happy with the switch.

I wouldn't be too quick to call it luck.

If you read a lot and paid attention, you likely used a light touch, which is very important. Most beginners coming from a cartridge razor press waaaay too hard which almost guarantees a bad shave that includes razor burn and bloodshed.

So, good on you for a successful first shave with a DE razor. It should only get better.

Welcome to the show. 🙂

I wouldn't be too quick to call it luck.

If you read a lot and paid attention, you likely used a light touch, which is very important. Most beginners coming from a cartridge razor press waaaay too hard which almost guarantees a bad shave that includes razor burn and bloodshed.

So, good on you for a successful first shave with a DE razor. It should only get better.

Welcome to the show. 🙂
Thanks for the kind words, and the practice lathering I have had over the last few weeks with the brushes I got from your generous PIF I am sure helped as that helped me be confident in that aspect of the shave

Welcome to the club!
Excellent choices on your tools but I will say I have the Vikings Blade Emperor Meiji and it offers the harshest shave of the other dozen razors I have. So if you got a smooth, nick-free shave out of your Emperor, you might do even better with another model like an Edwin Jagger DE89 or Rockwell 6C. Not in any way criticizing your choice at all.
Hey, if it works for you, that's fantastic.
Enjoy the journey. You made a great first shave choice. :thumbsup:

TOBS Jermyn St was my first soap too. It wasn't a "great" shave, it's just how DE shaving is it's not great but PERFECT! It will only get better from here. The only regret I have is that I didn't start DE shaving earlier.

After my first DE shave I immediately gave my Fusion cartridges to my brother.

Welcome to the club!
Excellent choices on your tools but I will say I have the Vikings Blade Emperor Meiji and it offers the harshest shave of the other dozen razors I have. So if you got a smooth, nick-free shave out of your Emperor, you might do even better with another model like an Edwin Jagger DE89 or Rockwell 6C. Not in any way criticizing your choice at all.
Hey, if it works for you, that's fantastic.
Enjoy the journey. You made a great first shave choice. :thumbsup:
Also thanks to gpjoe's generous PIF I have a open comb new type, a tech and a superspeed, I am going to stick to the Emperor for now, but after I get comfortable with it I will see how they do for me, but if this is a harsh DE shave then wow

Also thanks to gpjoe's generous PIF I have a open comb new type, a tech and a superspeed, I am going to stick to the Emperor for now, but after I get comfortable with it I will see how they do for me, but if this is a harsh DE shave then wow

I've not shaved with the Viking razor, but if it is considered an aggressive razor then all of the Gillettes are likely milder, even the Long Comb.

Still, not a bad strategy sticking to one razor while you work on your skills.

As the saying goes, Your Mileage May Vary (YMMV). But in my experience, the Emperor Meiji is the most aggressive razor I have, even on the lowest setting. In fact, I've relegated it to my holding pen for awhile because I'm simply not able to count on it for a smooth, irritation-free shave. It's capable of terrific shaves but seems extremely blade-dependent, more than any razor I own.
Good idea to stick with your Emperor model for now to get your technique down. But I'll almost guarantee you when you try the Tech and the Super Speed, you'll be pleasantly surprised at how comfortable the shaves are. I have six Super Speeds and, with the exception of one that's a little out of spec, they deliver simply incredibly good shaves, including the late 1940's model I used this morning, coupled with a Perma-Sharp blade.

As the saying goes, Your Mileage May Vary (YMMV). But in my experience, the Emperor Meiji is the most aggressive razor I have, even on the lowest setting. In fact, I've relegated it to my holding pen for awhile because I'm simply not able to count on it for a smooth, irritation-free shave. It's capable of terrific shaves but seems extremely blade-dependent, more than any razor I own.
Good idea to stick with your Emperor model for now to get your technique down. But I'll almost guarantee you when you try the Tech and the Super Speed, you'll be pleasantly surprised at how comfortable the shaves are. I have six Super Speeds and, with the exception of one that's a little out of spec, they deliver simply incredibly good shaves, including the late 1940's model I used this morning, coupled with a Perma-Sharp blade.
Well nothing to compare it to yet, but the Perma-Sharp I used today seemed to do well for me, and I will let you guys know what I think of it when I switch to the tech.
And I have the basic chrome Emperor, not sure how different they are, but what blades have you had success with? I have a wide variety of blades from samples

Well nothing to compare it to yet, but the Perma-Sharp I used today seemed to do well for me, and I will let you guys know what I think of it when I switch to the tech.
And I have the basic chrome Emperor, not sure how different they are, but what blades have you had success with? I have a wide variety of blades from samples
I'd say the blades it liked best were the Derby Extra, the Shark Super Stainless and the Tiger Platinum.

Top Bottom