What's new

My best razor find ever.

Last weekend I hit a few medium sized antique malls and saw zero DE razors, a few straights. The only things I bought were a glass tumbler with Gillette Foamy on it and an antique shaving mug. Go figure.:frown:

R

rainman

There's only one antique store close to me. Zero DE's, one Rolls Razor, some beat up crappy looking straights, one Gem Micromatic gold open comb. The MM is the only one I asked to see. The plating wasn't the best. The price tag said $9.00 so I passed it up. I've done better than that more than one time.

Yikes, i'd have been hurredly paying the 100 and getting the heck out of there before they changed their mind. I'm a real chicken when it comes to wheeling and dealing so well done for your cool approach. I've bought a few little kits etc and have been polishing until my hands ache. I always wondered sometimes you see blades included in a lot on E-bay. Should i just keep the blades as a vintage example or can i use them? Would they be better than modern ones?

To the question re: the two white-handled SE razors. Those are the schick injectors.

To the comments re: ebay. There is a good reason other than huge profit margin for setting a very high buy it now price with best offer. You don't really expect to get that price. If someone comes along and pays it, well then that's just gravy, but by setting the price very high, you are bound to receive offers instead. This allows you to vet your buyers first, something you can't really do with a straight auction.

A general question, not directed at this score (and yes, I think it's a good thing that a wetshaver got to these at a bargain price) -

Every once in awhile we see a post about some yahoo on Ebay asking way too much for razors, and there are almost always posts expressing concern that some newb is going to get ripped off, or that the guy should be banned from selling for being dishonest/overpriced.

Then, we get a post like this where a member scores razors at a fraction of what they'd cost on Ebay or even BST...and there is celebration and acclaim.

I'm no different. You can bet when I saw a $5 Fatboy at an antique mall I didn't lecture the staff about Gillette values. I paid my $5 and left.

Just curious about the human nature involved. Why is it that if someone pays a tenth of what something is "worth" at a garage sale or store, it's good, but if they put an everyday Slim on Ebay with a $200 Buy It Now price, they are a damnable pirate?

Interesting point, and here's what I think. To that antique dealer, those razors are probably little more than garbage, and most likely came along with a lot of other items that she did want, so she essentially has nothing invested in them. I've never known an antique dealer to give anything away that they thought was worth a dime, and that initial offer of $100 was obviously a "fishing trip", and I'm sure she was plenty satisfied to see a bunch of nasty old razors head out the door in exchange for a portrait of Ulysses S. Grant. Look at this way, this transaction was probably about as meaningful to the antique dealer as if amishmotorboat had paid $50 for a bucket of old bottle caps.

Now, the other scenario is quite different. Many times the over-priced listings are from knowledgeable sellers who know what the razor is really worth, but are trying to catch a sucker with an outrageous BIN price. With knowledge comes responsibility, and these "damnable pirates" are purposely trying to take advantage of someone.

So, with knowledge comes responsibility, but only when you are the seller?

I agree that when a store owner agrees to unload a lot for cheap, they are factoring in a bunch of factors...shelf space, effort, and likelihood of single sales as well as what was paid, so if they agree to a selling price that seems like a bargain, then so be it. After all, unless they are not running the place as a business, they likely paid less than what they are selling for!

When I haven't been so sure is at the estate or garage sale... and then my "standards" defy logic. I have no problem trying to pick up a shaver for cheap, say, offering a few bucks for a nice SuperSpeed, but if I saw a Toggle for a dollar, I'd have to swallow pretty hard to pay that if a nice, ragged little old lady was running the show, but I'd be much more likely to keep my mouth shut if the folks running the sale were younger, surly and looked prosperous.

And in all likelihood, given the second scenario, I'd buy a small dollar item at the same time that I thought was overpriced to make my conscience feel better.:001_rolle

So, with knowledge comes responsibility, but only when you are the seller?

In a word -- yes. It is the responsibility of the seller to determine the value of the item they want to sell, and price accordingly. She obviously didn't care about those razors, and it certainly wasn't the buyer's responsibility to tell here what he thought they could potentially be worth. You have to remember, it's only weirdos like us here that see these razors as gleaming treasure, the antique dealers could care less because they just want your money. Even the nicest antique dealers are sharks on the inside. Take something that you think is valuable to a dealer to sell, and see how you get treated. If they can't steal it from you to make a big profit, they will politely point you to the door.

I do understand where you are coming from in regards to the morality of these situations though, but that's just business. When I buy a car, I'm going to haggle all night for the best price, and I won't shed a single tear thinking about the poor salesman's reduced commission.

R

rainman

In a word -- yes. It is the responsibility of the seller to determine the value of the item they want to sell, and price accordingly. She obviously didn't care about those razors, and it certainly wasn't the buyer's responsibility to tell here what he thought they could potentially be worth. You have to remember, it's only weirdos like us here that see these razors as gleaming treasure, the antique dealers could care less because they just want your money. Even the nicest antique dealers are sharks on the inside. Take something that you think is valuable to a dealer to sell, and see how you get treated. If they can't steal it from you to make a big profit, they will politely point you to the door.

I do understand where you are coming from in regards to the morality of these situations though, but that's just business. When I buy a car, I'm going to haggle all night for the best price, and I won't shed a single tear thinking about the poor salesman's reduced commission.

I agree. If you want to be a seller, know what you are selling. Unless you want to do their job for them and rip yourself off.

Top Bottom