What's new

My best razor find ever.

I'm not sure about the acronyms used on this board. I assume that PM sent means private message, right?
My messages page has nothing in it but the welcome to badger & blade auto message.

PM = Private Message (yes, You're Right)

I was just kidding. Yes, that Fat Boy (in the case) definitely looks like maybe it's a keeper. Butttttttttttt........., If I wanted to possibly try and take advantage of you, I would PM you and offer, say $15? I didn't really PM you because we here at Badger & Blade pride ourselves on being honest and sincere gentlemen. Without further inspection (multiple high-res pictures from different angles), I really can't name a fair price for that razor, and I would ask for opinions on the board here before guessing. However, you can rest assured that you just got the"Deal of a Lifetime" for $50.

Nice haul!
I hope you haven't tossed that cracked straight yet.
Can you post pictures of all three?:w00t:
Including the cracked area.

Oh, and when it comes to acronyms here, this page explains most of it. And, by the way, welcome here to Badger and Blade. Most everyone here is a true gentleman at heart. If you have any questions or need any type of advise, don't hesitate to ask. We're all here to help each other.

Sure.
First one is the cracked one, it has nothing engraved or any identifying marks that I can find.
proxy.php

The second says BESTQUAL. SILVER STEEL on one side and COSMO MFG. CO. GERMANY on the other.
proxy.php

The third one says KROPP on one side and MADE IN ENGLAND GROUND IN HAMBURG on the other.
proxy.php

And no, there's no strobing going on with your screen. Those are indeed diagonal striations visible on the blade. Going to take a lot of work to bring these back to usable.

Ugh, that first one is toast.
I would sell it on ebay, someone may want the scales.
The other two are indeed rough, but I have heard good things about Kropp

Yeah, I want to restore the two, especially the Kropp, and use them at least once. But it looks for all the world like the previous owner put it through one of those rotating kitchen knife sharpeners.:eek:

And here's that unidentified single edge. What a bite this thing has. Straight razor on a stick. Anybody know what this is? Only mark I've found is a patent date. Nothing else on it at all.

proxy.php

I just saw my future.
When I die some relative will dump my razors at an antique store and some punk is going to buy them all for $30 :scared:

A general question, not directed at this score (and yes, I think it's a good thing that a wetshaver got to these at a bargain price) -

Every once in awhile we see a post about some yahoo on Ebay asking way too much for razors, and there are almost always posts expressing concern that some newb is going to get ripped off, or that the guy should be banned from selling for being dishonest/overpriced.

Then, we get a post like this where a member scores razors at a fraction of what they'd cost on Ebay or even BST...and there is celebration and acclaim.

I'm no different. You can bet when I saw a $5 Fatboy at an antique mall I didn't lecture the staff about Gillette values. I paid my $5 and left.

Just curious about the human nature involved. Why is it that if someone pays a tenth of what something is "worth" at a garage sale or store, it's good, but if they put an everyday Slim on Ebay with a $200 Buy It Now price, they are a damnable pirate?

Maybe somewhere out there on the internet there is an antique dealers forum which has a razor subforum.
Everytime one of the members there who owns a shop posts that they solds a fatboy for $200 and tells them all, there is celebration and acclaim.
And every time there is a member whole sells a huge lot of razors for under $100, the members there tell the dealer they got ripped off and the buyer who scored that lot should be banned from all their stores.

Last edited:
Well done Sir , that was a bargain of a life time , they going to keep you busy for a wile, elbow grease and some more elbow grease!
Enjoy man

Great haul!

What are the two white handled, brass topped SE razors at the bottom of the photo? I have one like that, but it is really really dirty and I can't find a name on it, only some patent dates.

Top Bottom