What's new

MWF 2024 reformulation

It seems as I started the last thread about the last reformulation of MWF so maybe I would do one for the next one.

The new non tallow form of MWF has been out for a while now, but the (largely) vegan formulation has been tweaked slightly.

It seems they are replacing the coconut oil with lauric acid and a preservative that was outlawed by the EU with a different one.

If anyone has the latest formulation, please post up your thoughts if you can.

I thought I would drop by and say hello.

proxy.php

@zoidberg , Suspect that many MWF fans who, like myself, stocked up on tallow pucks, may not pay much attention to further reformulations until we run through our reserve stocks over what could be as much as the next few years.

That said there are folks here who like the first reformulation better than the original, like @jonwilson , who may be appreciative that you've alerted everyone to this latest MWF formulation change so thank you for posting.

A lesson we've all learned the past couple of years is that the formulations and availability of our favorite shaving soaps are changing so often that one should consider stocking up on any old favorites.

@zoidberg , Suspect that many MWF fans who, like myself, stocked up on tallow pucks, may not pay much attention to further reformulations until we run through our reserve stocks over what could be as much as the next few years.

That said there are folks here who like the first reformulation better than the original, like @jonwilson , who may be appreciative that you've alerted everyone to this latest MWF formulation change so thank you for posting.

A lesson we've all learned the past couple of years is that the formulations and availability of our favorite shaving soaps are changing so often that one should consider stocking up on any old favorites.

Like yourself, I myself stocked up on the tallow formulation in numbers that now I look at with a bit of confusion. I think I've got enough soap to shave the backs of all the orcs in Lord of the Rings!

The first formulation is actually pretty good, really good tbh. I was just a little surprised they changed the formulation so quickly.

I agree about stocking up. I've been amazed at how within a few years near enough all my favourite shaving soaps went the way of the dodo (Palmolive Stick, Wilkinson Sword stick, Valobra), I wish I'd stocked a few more of those when I could.

PS Apologies to the mods for linking a post to another forum.

Like yourself, I myself stocked up on the tallow formulation in numbers that now I look at with a bit of confusion. I think I've got enough soap to shave the backs of all the orcs in Lord of the Rings!

The first formulation is actually pretty good, really good tbh. I was just a little surprised they changed the formulation so quickly.

I agree about stocking up. I've been amazed at how within a few years near enough all my favourite shaving soaps went the way of the dodo (Palmolive Stick, Wilkinson Sword stick, Valobra), I wish I'd stocked a few more of those when I could.

I made a nice stash of old formula MWF

Rock N Roll Reaction GIF by Italia's Got Talent

Yes, I regret not laying in a stock of Wilkie and Valobra sticks when I could. I regret nothing about my ten tallow pucks of MWF.

I'll get bored one day and add a puck to a Connaught order I am sure, but I am literally still shaving on the puck of MWF I purchased in the early 2010s since I rotate soaps so often.

Wait, what? Palmolive and Wilkinson Sword sticks have gone now?
I think I have a few Palmolive left but no WS other than the one I'm currently using.

Wait, what? Palmolive and Wilkinson Sword sticks have gone now?
I think I have a few Palmolive left but no WS other than the one I'm currently using.

Both long gone. Palmolive crops up on eBay UK for £20 a stick, Wilkinson Sword stick I've not seen for sale since it was discontinued. The same factory used to make all the classic German tallow shaving soaps closed down.

Both long gone. Palmolive crops up on eBay UK for £20 a stick, Wilkinson Sword stick I've not seen for sale since it was discontinued. The same factory used to make all the classic German tallow shaving soaps closed down.
20 quid a stick? Wow! I'll have to have a look at what I've got left!

Edit: just checked and I have four unopened Palmolive sticks.

Last edited:

+1! MWF ‘tallow’ for me! :thumbup1::thumbup1::thumbup1:

When I finish my stash, then I will decide whether to try the new option of the day.

I suspect this was a rhetorical question. I mean, there are two camps of people - those who worship the original MWF, and those who never could get a decent lather that stayed on the face long enough to pick up the razor. Those in the former camp will never agree that any reformulation is an improvement.

I bought a puck of the new MWF (don't know if it was the tweaked version or not) just a couple of weeks ago from Maggard. For me, it works well. Lots better than the original! Not the best, not the worst, but will I buy a refill when this one's gone? Yes.

Top Bottom