What's new

tried the reformulated mitchell's wool fat

Saponificio Varesino is made with coconut oil.

Here's a short, relevant article from the Cleveland Clinic about coconut oil use on skin.
I am not sure I see any relevant connection.
However, "made with coconut oil" and "it’s generally not recommended to use coconut oil on your face" are two different things. Very different.
As far as I know, Saponificio Varesino does not contain coconut oil. Maybe I am wrong, as I have been wrong before. If so, please post the ingredients list where we can see coconut oil as ingredient.
In my uneducated opinion, sodium cocoate is not coconut oil.

Correct me if I'm wrong. Isn't coconut oil drying to the skin and tallow better for skin?

Coconut oil soap is very drying. A small proportion in shaving soap does help with the lather as it allows air to be infused into the lather.

According to Wikipedia's page on tallow, it's 47% oleic acid. The page on palm oil says it's 36.6% oleic acid.

Olive oil can be up to 83% oleic acid.

For the record, I am tallow agnostic. Some of my favorite soaps have tallow. Some of them don't.

I am also tallow agnostic and make only veggie base soap. I use oils and butters along with stearic acid and the performance and post shave is similar to tallow soaps.

I realized I missed a point in my post which is that palmitic acid can cause skin dryness for some, including me.

All soaps that gave gone from tallow to palm dry out my skin even though the other ingredients were the same.
Lea classic tallow puck is a prime example. It went from being my #1 soap, tied with tallow MWF, to being meh, because the tallow was replaced with palm oil.

Similar thing happened with Speick stick. Tallow was removed and replaced with palmitic and lauric acid. I didn't like it much at all. luckily I have a few of the tallow sticks in my stash.

Saponificio Varesino is made with coconut oil.

Here's a short, relevant article from the Cleveland Clinic about coconut oil use on skin.

Yah, they do use coconut oil in their recipe.

On another note, SV kind of cheats with their formula...they use the surfactant "SCI", which lathers up quick but I really dislike the feel of that lather.
So much so that SV is a brand I no longer use as the beta4.3 has too much SCI. The beta4.0 was much better!

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
I can’t tell much difference either except the new version lathers easier. Unfortunately both versions seem a bit ‘tacky’ when buffing with a straight razor, though this can be remedied by wet fingers. Other tallow+lanolin soaps don’t require this.

The scent of both versions is magnificent though.

I can’t tell much difference either except the new version lathers easier. Unfortunately both versions seem a bit ‘tacky’ when buffing with a straight razor, though this can be remedied by wet fingers. Other tallow+lanolin soaps don’t require this.

The scent of both versions is magnificent though.

You need to add more water and work it further to get rid of that tacky feeling.

Coconut oil soap is very drying. A small proportion in shaving soap does help with the lather as it allows air to be infused into the lather.

It's the first ingredient listed for Saponificio Varesino. It's the second ingredient listed for Martin de Candre. It's the second non-water ingredient listed for Santa Maria Novella.

It's also in Catie's Bubbles, Southern Witchcrafts, Shannon's Soaps, Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements CK-6, Arko (ARKO!), and Cella.

I just don't see many complaints about any of those soaps being drying. Quite the opposite, really.

Maybe it's time to give it another chance?

Many of those soaps rely on other things and the coconut oil is down on the list percentage wise. Some of those listed also have a lot of butters and lanolin to make sure the skin isn't dried out. Personally, I don't find MdC very good compared to others.

Reactions: nav
It's the first ingredient listed for Saponificio Varesino. It's the second ingredient listed for Martin de Candre. It's the second non-water ingredient listed for Santa Maria Novella.

It's also in Catie's Bubbles, Southern Witchcrafts, Shannon's Soaps, Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements CK-6, Arko (ARKO!), and Cella.

I just don't see many complaints about any of those soaps being drying. Quite the opposite, really.

Maybe it's time to give it another chance?

Coconut oil is in nearly every shaving soap but in small amounts. I feel up to 10% doesn't impact the skin as long as there are some other moisturizing ingredients.

I definitely found MdC, caties bubbles, arko, cella very drying.

I even made an MdC clone andv added sweet almond oil, but it still sucked!

Many of those soaps rely on other things and the coconut oil is down on the list percentage wise. Some of those listed also have a lot of butters and lanolin to make sure the skin isn't dried out. Personally, I don't find MdC very good compared to others.

Yup, exactly!
Perfectly stated.

Many of those soaps rely on other things and the coconut oil is down on the list percentage wise.

There's a reason I stated where it appeared in the ingredient lists of SV, MdC, and SMN.

Here's the full list of Martin de Candre ingredients: "Stearic Acid, Cocos Nucifera [coconut] Oil, Aqua, Potassium Hydroxide, Glycerin, Sodium Chloride"

It's also one of the main ingredients in Johnson & Johnson's Baby Shampoo and Dr. Bronner's soap. These aren't exactly known for causing dry skin either.

In general, oil and water don't mix. A bit simplistically, what makes soap useful for cleaning things is that it makes oil and water mix so that you can use water to rinse oily substances off your skin, your car, your dishes, or whatever else you might be cleaning. When you remove oils from your skin, it's going to be drying, because oils help keep moisture in your skin. This is true of all soaps. It's the very nature of what they are. Saponified coconut oil is no different from other soaps in that regard.

Now, individuals can certainly have adverse reactions to specific substances, and I don't doubt that some people don't get on well with coconut oil. But I'm not going to generalize and say that strawberries are bad for the skin because my nephew gets allergic hives when he eats them.

There's a reason I stated where it appeared in the ingredient lists of SV, MdC, and SMN.

Here's the full list of Martin de Candre ingredients: "Stearic Acid, Cocos Nucifera [coconut] Oil, Aqua, Potassium Hydroxide, Glycerin, Sodium Chloride"

It's also one of the main ingredients in Johnson & Johnson's Baby Shampoo and Dr. Bronner's soap. These aren't exactly known for causing dry skin either.

In general, oil and water don't mix. A bit simplistically, what makes soap useful for cleaning things is that it makes oil and water mix so that you can use water to rinse oily substances off your skin, your car, your dishes, or whatever else you might be cleaning. When you remove oils from your skin, it's going to be drying, because oils help keep moisture in your skin. This is true of all soaps. It's the very nature of what they are. Saponified coconut oil is no different from other soaps in that regard.

Now, individuals can certainly have adverse reactions to specific substances, and I don't doubt that some people don't get on well with coconut oil. But I'm not going to generalize and say that strawberries are bad for the skin because my nephew gets allergic hives when he eats them.

Sorry but this is totally inaccurate!

It's very well known that coconut oil soap has very high cleansing power. It literally strips the oils from the skin.
That's why derivatives from coconut oil were used in the majority of cleaning agents like soaps, shampoo (SLS/SLES/SCI etc).

A shaving soap doesn't need to cleanse, that's not its purpose. However, a small proportion is still used because it allows faster lather generation as it allows for air to be incorporated into the lather.

SV use SCI in their soaps and their beta4.3 is known for its rapid lather generation. It's the SCI that allows for that to occur.
It's just a pity I dislike the feel of SCI lather in a shaving soap. In a shampoo bar is fine though.

Top Bottom