What's new

tried the reformulated mitchell's wool fat

I did not plan on buying the reformulated mwf, but I did any way just to see how it is. For me, it's far superior to the tallow version. For me, it lathers MUCH EASIER than the tallow version. Used my stirling collapsible bowl and had enough lather for 3 plus passes. No airy foamy lather for me with the reformulated MWF The strange thing for me is I didn't even use preshave as I usually use preshave either proraso green preshave or the PAA cube (because of cuts and weepers), but I didn't this time. Zero cuts, nicks, and weepers from the reformulated mwf which is somewhat shocking to me as I get nicks and cuts (small ones) from most other soaps that I use, Could be my technique for the cuts. who knows for certain. So, for me, the reformulated MWF and tabac have been homeruns for me. Both very good non-tallow soaps and both are right up there with other well respected veggie shave soaps such as razorock ***, pre de provence, etc. does it replace my artisan shave soaps? No, but it's a pretty dam good shave soap for a hard puck. People assumed reformulated shave soaps going from tallow to vegetable based would mean the reformulated soaps would suck, not in my case and not in my experience. The reformulated MWF blows the MWF tallow version out of the water FOR ME and the reformulated tabac is just as good if not a little bit better than the tallow tabac. Give the reformulated MWF a shot. you might be surprised at how much you may like it and how much easier it lathers than the MWF tallow version.

Well, that is encouraging. I know that Trumper's is not tallow and I get great shaves with the creams and soaps (harder to get the lather right). Perhaps MWF will be the same?

Well, that is encouraging. I know that Trumper's is not tallow and I get great shaves with the creams and soaps (harder to get the lather right). Perhaps MWF will be the same?
I'm just one person. I had problems with getting a good lather with the tallow version of MWF. I am not quite sure why as you would think a tallow based shave soap would be easy to lather, but this was not the case for me with MWF tallow. Others on here have said they also have had a hard time getting an adequate shaving lather with the tallow MWF. Comparing the tallow MWF with the veggie MWF, it's no contest. The veggie MWF lathers much easier for me.

I'm just one person. I had problems with getting a good lather with the tallow version of MWF. I am not quite sure why as you would think a tallow based shave soap would be easy to lather, but this was not the case for me with MWF tallow. Others on here have said they also have had a hard time getting an adequate shaving lather with the tallow MWF. Comparing the tallow MWF with the veggie MWF, it's no contest. The veggie MWF lathers much easier for me.
The tallow was triple milled and beyond. It had almost all of the moisture taken out of it and needed rehydrating to get a good lather.

I tested the new formula for another member. I used both soaps back to back. I was incredibly impressed with the new formula and as much as I was expecting it to not perform. It performed very well, and I couldn’t complain about it.

Thank you for your review. When fans of mwf realised the new soap was not tallow, it was immediately put down by those who hadn't even seen it!

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I tried it and it lathers very easily. As easily as Irish Spring or Dove bath soap.
It's also as thick, slick and protective as Irish Spring or Dove bath soap.
So, it's going into the shower stall to be used as bath soap because, for me...
It sucks as a shaving soap.
I have several non-tallow soaps I use and like.
This ain't one of them.
YMMV

Good to see a positive review of the new formula, after the general hysteria and sobbing hand wringing upon news of reformulation. MWF tallow didn't have any magic, it was just soap. Worked for some, not for others. I'll have to get a puck for myself now to try the new incarnation.

I tried it and it lathers very easily. As easily as Irish Spring or Dove bath soap.
This ain't one of them.
YMMV
I was afraid that would be the case, quite frankly.

IMO, the reformulated MWF dropped a notch after reformulation and is now at the crowded level where quite a few other shaving soaps are. IOW, if because of Brexit or other reasons MWF stocks should run low, I won’t be so worried any more. :biggrin1:
I am even considering not to re-stock MWF when I have used the last puck up.

The one area where the “new” MWF seems to have improved is how it performs in hard water.
Mind you, I have soft water at the two places where I spend most of my time, so I don’t have first-hand experience and rely here on what other shavers wrote.

B.

Last edited:
I'm not restocking. I didn't bother. I moved on. it's just soap and there is a lot out there. I settled on Shannon's Soaps shaving soaps with the Chupacabra base. This is also tallow + lanolin, but with other good things and I have to say it actually edges out MWF tallow for me and I didn't think that possible.

I've been using a Mitchell's puck since June 7th or so (ordered June 4th off of Amazon USA), so I am not sure if it's tallow or palm based. I didn't even hear about the reformulation until a few weeks ago because I haven't been on B&B for quite some time. Last time I used it was in 2020, so my recollection is not very astute. Either way, I am very pleased with it. The post-shave feel is superb, which is why I seem to always go back to Mitchell's even though I don't like the scent.

Interesting that people seemed highly polarized with the tallow MWF and are polarized with the non tallow MWF as well.
Even more polarized than we usually are on this forum. Not sure what that means, but it must be profound:eek2:

From my experience of 200+ soaps and knowledge as someone who makes shaving soap...substituting tallow with palm oil can never improve a soap!

Sure, some people may find lathering the palm MWF easier (although I find it super easy to lather the tallow MWF), the performance and post shave can't be better because the entire fatty acid profile has been altered!

Tallow is high in oleic acid, which conditions the skin. It's the oleic acid in nourishing oils and butters that conditions and protects the skin. Removing tallow and adding palm oil would reduce the oleic acid to minimal levels.

So going from tallow/lanolin to palm/lanolin can never improve the soap.

Having said that, if one isn't able to lather tallow MWF optimally, then I can understand how they would perceive the palm MWF as being the better performer.

Mike M

...but this one IS cracked.
Having just finished a 4 year battle to finish a tallow MWF and having also found better performing soaps in that time I am not too keen to jump on the MWF bandwagon once again to assess the performance of the new formulation as I have more than enough soap for now. The frankly lackluster reviews of the new formulation means it is not on my list of soaps to try in the future. I do have a fondness for MWF as it restored my faith in hard soaps after my first hard soap acquisition, a Wilkinson Sword blue bowl.

This ain't one of them.
YMMV

+1! ‘…slick and protective..’ Those are critical elements of a good shave soap. Sad!! :facep::facep::facep:

There is a thread with members who tested both (myself included) and results were mixed.

The 5 pucks sent to me in error when I ordered Tallow, reside in my shower soap collection. I actually didn't have any shave issues with it and got a good lather and shave.

It lathered fine, just wasn't for me as a shave soap vs the Tallow, which I grabbed a few before they were gone.

My take on it:
Post in thread '[EXPERIMENT] Seeking Testers for the New Formulation of Mitchell’s Wool Fat Soap' [EXPERIMENT] Seeking Testers for the New Formulation of Mitchell’s Wool Fat Soap - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/experiment-seeking-testers-for-the-new-formulation-of-mitchells-wool-fat-soap.640349/post-12303947

Master thread:
Thread '[EXPERIMENT] Seeking Testers for the New Formulation of Mitchell’s Wool Fat Soap' [EXPERIMENT] Seeking Testers for the New Formulation of Mitchell’s Wool Fat Soap - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/experiment-seeking-testers-for-the-new-formulation-of-mitchells-wool-fat-soap.640349/

Last edited:
Top Bottom