What's new

"Must Have" razors

... So, I ask you, Badger and Blade-
What do you have? What do you consider essential to a collection? What should I look for? ...

I have this rotation:

One aftermarket handle with the classic Gillette heads and seven classic TTOs

The essential in a collection are the classics IMHO. I also use my classics since my rotation is my collection.

What you should look for: The classics but don't overlook the new offerings! To know what suits you and your shaving you do need to try out a lot of razors. Seriously.

$old rotation.jpg
My tryout samples​

Last edited by a moderator:
Gillette's : An old type, a new , new improved , an aristocrat, a tech , A super speed , an adjustable
Other brands : A slant

I think this will cover all categories. A collection without even a user grade of each of these is not complete. But if its about one ot or two that are quintessential my vote goes for the Gillette NEW , and Merkur Slant .

I think MUST HAVEs for a collection include
an Open Comb - The Gillette NEW is a great place to start and wont break the bank
an Adjustable - IMO the Fatboy is way overrated....Id recommend the Black Beauty(super adjustable)
a Slant - They are very effiecient shavers and there are lots of vintage and new offerings(razorock stealth, Ikon slant etc)
A superspeed....or something similar - I love my milord, but flare tips and red and blue tips are great shavers as well.

Of course you will get a different answer from everyone but I think trying one of each of these categories is a must...I waited far to long to try an Open Comb.....they are awesome

ok here are some of mine

Attachments

• $DSCN0931.jpg
    $DSCN0931.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 120
  • $DSCN0924.jpg
    $DSCN0924.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 120
  • $DSCN0494.jpg
    $DSCN0494.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 121
  • $DSCN0897.jpg
    $DSCN0897.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 121
  • $DSCN0847.jpg
    $DSCN0847.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 122
Depending on your age, most guys here try and get a birth year razor. I don't have one, but I might soon embark on that search.

Things to have, and in no particular order:
-A slant of some kind. I just got a merkur 39C, definately make it a german razor.
-A Gillette adjustable
-An antique Gillette of some kind. I have an Old with the ball tip, it's nice but it shaves like crap because the cap bends the blade into a curve that really sucks to shave with. I'll get around to fixing it eventually.
-A vintage single edge razor of some kind. Be careful when shopping here, many are hard to get blades for and might end up just being decoration like my autostrop
-A newer off-the-wall razor like a Cobra Classic or one of the other stainless steel DE razors.

Pretty much my recommendation. I'd be sure to have at least one open comb as well. It's a good mix of different style razors. From that you should be able to figure out what works best.

Similar to what others have said, it might be easier to break it into categories than specific models. I tend to think about razors falling into one of the following categories:

three piece safety bar
twist-to-open safety bar
three piece open comb
twist-to-open open comb
adjustable
slant

For everything, there are both vintage and current production of these types of razors. And while there are definitely manufacturers and models that are more popular than others, I found it helpful to think about the broad categories when deciding what type of razor I wanted to try next.

Last edited:
Thanks for the input guys. This is useful information.

User00-
Safety bar vrs closed comb- what is the difference?

Thanks for the input guys. This is useful information.

User00-
Safety bar vrs closed comb- what is the difference?

Some people use the term "closed comb" just to mean the opposite of "open comb" which would mean that closed comb could be synonymous with "safety bar." On the other hand, the Mühle R41, and a few other razors, use a "safety bar" that has comb-like ridges on it. Some people refer to that as a closed-comb.

I don't think there's a real solid definition out there, but I generally take "closed comb" to mean anything that isn't open comb, i.e. safety bar.

Some people use the term "closed comb" just to mean the opposite of "open comb" which would mean that closed comb could be synonymous with "safety bar." On the other hand, the Mühle R41, and a few other razors, use a "safety bar" that has comb-like ridges on it. Some people refer to that as a closed-comb.

I don't think there's a real solid definition out there, but I generally take "closed comb" to mean anything that isn't open comb, i.e. safety bar.

Thanks for the clarification, chamm. You explained that better than I could have. My intention was to delineate open comb from non-open comb.

It also didn't help that my initial post had a typo. Sorry about that.

A vintage Gillette and then any razor you find interesting for: looks (I like Valets) or trying something different from what you already have (OC, more aggressive, less aggressive). Also, you gotta love those vintage razors in working condition that come in their original box.

I'm still having a lot of new experiences 3 months after my first DE shave, but I decided that I didn't want to have more than 6 razors on my bathroom counter (in my Amazon test tube holder, which I LOVE btw)

Currently, they are:
1. '67 Slim Adjustable... Must have. Why? Because there's so much to learn from that 1 razor alone. Get a Fat Boy if you like cool nicknames and hype, or a Black Beauty if you're looking for a longer handle... but get yourself a Gillette Adjustable razor one way or another.
2. '56 Red Tip SS... I fell in love with my Slim @ 4, and wanted something that could replicate that as closely as possible so that I could lend my Slim out to people without withdrawal. I prefer the Slim for it's length and handle, but the Red Tip is a nice substitute.
3. '56 Flare Tip SS... Got it because I think they're beautiful, and because I wanted a 1956 theme in my razor holder for no real reason other than why not? Naturally milder than the Red Tip, but has repeatedly surprised me with great shaves. I prefer the feel of the handle to the Red Tips thicker handle, but I have small hands.
4. '56 Ball End Tech... Have only used it once, but it's super duper mild and smooth. Worth experiencing, but not my favorite and may not have the merits to stay in the rack other than its production year.
5. NEW LC Bar Handle... 2 shaves in with this thing, and I love it. It gets right down to business. More aggressive than my typical preference but smooth enough where I don't have to fear it.
6. Schick Krona... The dark horse. The odd ball. The black swan. I need more shaves with it to decide if it will remain on board, but it is most definitely a unique razor. I don't think Gillette ever made a head that looked like this one, and it really does effect the shave. Some hate the handle, but I like it. Perhaps not a MUST HAVE, but certainly a MUST TRY.

Unfortunately, my lineup has been threatened by an unexpected arrival. I won an auction for another razor, and the seller threw in an "extra worn out razor that I don't feel like selling separately". This turned out to be (wouldn't ya know it) a NEW SC. Now I get to do the comparison to the LC, which was going to sting my curiosity anyways. The loser of the showdown may get evicted from the rack and eventually sold, but if I like them both... sorry, Krona.

To answer your question more specifically, the only razor I've experienced that I would call a MUST HAVE: Gillette Adjustable, for all the reasons I listed above.

Last edited:
Depending on your age, most guys here try and get a birth year razor. I don't have one, but I might soon embark on that search.
+1 ... having a BDR is definitely a Must-Have, if you can find one. If you are too young to get one from your own birth-year, try for one that is from your father's or grandfather's birth year.

And Family Heirlooms are a Must-Have. Spread the word throughout your family tree and see if anybody has managed to hang on to your Father's, Grandfather's, Uncles' razors / brushes / mugs /etc. Even if you never use them, they are a priceless part of any shaver's collectibles.

A lot of people are suggesting Gillette Adjustables. I'm not a big fan of adjustable razors, but when I want to use one, the only one I like to use is a Merkur Progress. There are a couple of models available. Be sure to get the upgrade knob, and look up "Witness Marks" and how to calibrate it.

A Stahly razor (its one of those with a mechanical vibrating handle) can be found pretty easily for cheap. Try it once or twice with the vibrating handle just so you can say you did it, but then put the handle in the drawer and put the head on a replacement handle of your choice. The Stahly head is one of the best engineered straight-bar heads I've ever used. I have mine on a Tradere handle, but it fits a lot of others, too.

And also include some Single Edge and Injector razors. I don't have a lot of knowledge about these so I can't recommend specific models, but others will chime in with suggestions. There will be some days that you get tired of DE razors and want to try something else for a change of pace. That's when the SE and Injectors come out to play.

...6. Schick Krona... The dark horse. The odd ball. The black swan. I need more shaves with it to decide if it will remain on board, but it is most definitely a unique razor. I don't think Gillette ever made a head that looked like this one, and it really does effect the shave. Some hate the handle, but I like it. Perhaps not a MUST HAVE, but certainly a MUST TRY...

Don't give up on the Krona. It is the best everyday DE razor designed. It has the added benefit that whereas some blades may seen harsh in other razors they are perfectly smooth in the Krona. The Gillette Goal (India) is one such blade.

Don't give up on the Krona. It is the best everyday DE razor designed. It has the added benefit that whereas some blades may seen harsh in other razors they are perfectly smooth in the Krona. The Gillette Goal (India) is one such blade.

If I had to sell my razors for quick cash and keep only one, shaving only as a necessity rather than a hobby, the Krona would be the keeper.

I haven't even used it enough to get to fully know it yet. My RAD is on hold while I familiarize myself with my current "shaving staff" if you will. I've got so many mild options now that I'm going to eventually get around to trying Feathers once again, and the Krona will certainly get its turn during that experiment.

I was born in the 80s. Was anything worthwhile still being manufactured at that time?

Gillette made the Black Handle SuperSpeed and Super Adjustable up until 1988. I've had my eye out for a birth year razor ('87) for a while now, and they're not very common due to waning popularity/production of DE razors in the 80s (and perhaps other reasons). Shame on the baby boomers for leading my generation to a painful youth full of razorburn.

Just kidding. Kinda. What were you guys thinking?! [emoji39]

Top Bottom