What's new

Multi day usage of single lather?

Tried searching to see if this has been discussed; couldn’t find anything. (Maybe my search of “Multi-day usage” wasn’t honed enough. However; after perusing twenty three pages of results, I decided to post this query.

Anyone use ONE lather for MULTIPLE days? I’ve always been a bowl lather guy, and I scoop dedicated amounts based on soap brand (It’s usually 1/4 tsp, but some soaps, like Stirling, require a slight bit more). But, I normally end up with quite a bit left, after my shave.

I do have a full beard, so my usage will be significantly less than those doing a true full shave (I do neck/throat, and cheeks above the mouth line) Flushing all that excess kind of grated on me, I’m pretty frougal.

Stumbled upon a YouTube video of a fella getting a second days’ use, and decided to try it myself. A little rehydrating, and I was surprised that the soap (first try was PAA) worked just as well as day one. I’ve experimented with several brands with varying results: Stirling saw some diminished results on day two, Seaforth was solid for two days, PAA has yielded THREE days from a single lather, though day 3 wasn’t quite as slick, still passable, A&E, surprisingly, was pretty much unusable for a second day (it’s my favorite brand though), and Black Ship yielded mixed results (Grace didn’t fare well, but several others did🤷‍♂️).

I am a three pass and a cleanup guy, so it’s not like I’m going crazy with an excess amount of lather for day one.

Anyone else get multiple days use from a single lather???

Heard about this on a YouTube channel a while ago. As said I would just cut back on the load and use less soap. But do what makes you happy my friend 😊.
But as we know, it's not just about soap to water ratio. There seems to be a minimum soap volume required to build a good lather.

I'm still a noob and have only played with Cella, Haslingers, and Spieck. I'm finding this to be true for these three soaps. The Haslingers has the most latitude in this regard, and the Spieck the least.

... Thom

It is a shame to wash perfectly good lather down the drain, but I do it every time I shave and it never bothered me enough to consider saving it.

I'm guessing many of the guys that used a brush and soap in the early to mid 20th century just dropped their still-soapy brush into their mug of William's and left it to dry.

Different strokes...

How I imagine people who make too much lather
mL2OWq.gif

Dave himself

Wee Words of Wisdom
But as we know, it's not just about soap to water ratio. There seems to be a minimum soap volume required to build a good lather.

I'm still a noob and have only played with Cella, Haslingers, and Spieck. I'm finding this to be true for these three soaps. The Haslingers has the most latitude in this regard, and the Spieck the least.

... Thom
True my friend. But I only face lather, I never thought about the excess one might have left over in a bowl. Anyway like I said do what makes you happy 😊.

I just squeeze a bit out of the tube, nothing goes to waste.

I wonder if you could put left over lather in a ziplock bag and store it in the freezer?

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
Yes, but it takes me a very long time to pick out all the little pieces of hair from my shave. I usually can get 4 or 5 days from one lather this way. :blink:

But seriously, whatever makes you happy makes me happy. I rinse everything after the shave, but there's no question that I'm wasting some soap by doing that.

Personally I don’t. I’ve thought about it, particularly when I was using soft soaps exclusively.
Now that I’m gravitating towards triple milled soaps it’s even less of a concern.

I tried it a few times earlier this Summer as I was learning to lather. It worked.
Covered the bowl and brush with a plastic bag and used it within 24 hours.
I figured it wasn't the most sanitary thing to do, and it was really too much of a liability to save several cents worth of shave cream.
Also, my loading and scooping estimates improved, so less excess in the end.

Tried searching to see if this has been discussed; couldn’t find anything. (Maybe my search of “Multi-day usage” wasn’t honed enough. However; after perusing twenty three pages of results, I decided to post this query.

Anyone use ONE lather for MULTIPLE days? I’ve always been a bowl lather guy, and I scoop dedicated amounts based on soap brand (It’s usually 1/4 tsp, but some soaps, like Stirling, require a slight bit more). But, I normally end up with quite a bit left, after my shave.

I do have a full beard, so my usage will be significantly less than those doing a true full shave (I do neck/throat, and cheeks above the mouth line) Flushing all that excess kind of grated on me, I’m pretty frougal.

Stumbled upon a YouTube video of a fella getting a second days’ use, and decided to try it myself. A little rehydrating, and I was surprised that the soap (first try was PAA) worked just as well as day one. I’ve experimented with several brands with varying results: Stirling saw some diminished results on day two, Seaforth was solid for two days, PAA has yielded THREE days from a single lather, though day 3 wasn’t quite as slick, still passable, A&E, surprisingly, was pretty much unusable for a second day (it’s my favorite brand though), and Black Ship yielded mixed results (Grace didn’t fare well, but several others did🤷‍♂️).

I am a three pass and a cleanup guy, so it’s not like I’m going crazy with an excess amount of lather for day one.

Anyone else get multiple days use from a single lather???
I forgot to rinse the bowl oit once and the next day just rehydrated and it was fast and perfect.
Idk why I don't do it every day. Seem too cheap? Prone to some bacterial growth?

Top Bottom